Harley Davidson Forums banner

Progressive Monotube Maintenance?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Gzrona09Ultra 
#1 ·
I had Progressive Monotubes installed on my front end at 10K miles, and now have almost 28K miles. I am starting to notice some front-end dive (just a little bit under hard braking) which is one of the things that these Progressive Monotubes had originally eliminated when I had a local Indy install them, so I am curious to know if there is any preventative maintenance I should be addressing? My understanding when I had these installed was that these were sealed, self-contained units, and I am now wondering if I may be experiencing a warranty issue which might require sending them back to Progressive, or if this is something that I can remedy with some work on my end. I thought I would check here with the Forum before I wrote to the company asking this question, so any feedback is appreciated!

#2 ·
No user maintenance on the Monotubes themselves.

Only need to change fork oil as per normal service interval, using only 5oz of oil per tube.

Other than that, it's a warranty issue with Progressive.

#3 ·
Thanks for responding Kainam - I was really hoping that there was a chance that I could troubleshoot and repair this on my own, but I guess I always suspected this would not be the case. I guess I will be on the phone to the good people at Progressive at some point this week.Message:

#9 ·
If you are doing monotubes note the following for doing the job (which I just did on an 09 Ultra)

1) 36 mm low profile socket for top fork bolt.
2) 21 mm crow foot for fork cap flats, OE and monotubes. Crowfoot so you can set torque, an open end is fine for loosening
3) long 6mm allen socket for bottom bolts. BUY NEW BOLTS AND WASHERS AHEAD, ONE TIME USE.
4) If you do not have a bench vise and the special tool for clamping, loosen and tighten fork cap in fork sliding down and using pinch bolt. Since fork cap is flats and not hex range is limited necessitating repositioning but not too bad.
5) you really need the ignition switch alignment tool. However you can fabricate one easily from a piece of 1/4" copper tube. See YouTube for video.
6) have a friend help, uninstalling fender, working with fork tubes is just easier with 3 or 4 hands.

Have Fun, Ride Safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.