Harley Davidson Forums banner

Electra Glide Ultra tires

19K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  Wiredog 
#1 ·
Hi , does anyone know the size of car tires an make or brand name that will fit a 16 inch Ultra rim ??? I only get about 7,000 miles of safe riding ever out of a tire . I wear out 2-3 back tires a year . thanks for your help . Bud

#5 ·
There a bunch of guys over on the GL1800 Riders Forum that have car tires on the back of their Goldwings. They're called the Darksider's. I can't imagine anyone desperate enough for higher mileage tire to do that.

#15 ·
Some gold wingers are a bunch of cheap dudes. At some dealerships, they are known as "gold whiners." They buy a 20K or more bike, then complain about the replacement cost of of motorcycle tires, oil filters, etc. They claim they run car tires on their bikes because they are safer. I think the real reason is because the car tires cost less. Same reason why they run Walmart oil filters.

#8 ·
I think you are getting pretty normal mileage, do you check your tire pressure regularly, also I know this is going to sound odd but the roads where I live suck and the tires will usually wear very weird, my last tire was all uneven if you would rub your hand across it before the treads wore out, but that kind of mileage is pretty good, the other thing is what kind of tires do you run, a Dunlop 402 is a good tire, I do well with them, and like the other guy said, friction is good, you do not want your tire walking.

#13 ·
Go with the Dunlop Elite 3. I have read that the average life is 13-15k. It is what I just installed after much research and only getting 7K from the stocker. Just my $.02.

#14 ·
I am on my 4th rear tire on my 08. I changed to Elite 3 last set. I got over 17,000 on the rear of the last one I changed. Still had some meat on it, but was feathering pretty bad on the sides and really did not trust it in the curves like that.

#19 ·
There is quite a stir with guys now going to car tires as replacement tires due to the cost savings and increased mileage. There's also quite a few Mpegs on Youtube showing bikes in action with CT's instead of MT's. Pro's and Con's for both. It was the Goldwings that started the trend and now Harley riders are following suit. The website that most talks about this is Riding on the Darkside I am still sitting on the fence regarding this subject but there are some strong arguments for and against.

#20 ·
I know for a fact that 09 and latter RK AND Electra glides will fit a 195x60 16 tire. Been there, done that on a 2011 RK. Run it 15k and when I traded for a 13 FLHTC the tread was like new. There WILL be a ct on the back of the classic soon. It has 8000 on it and I sure miss the ct. Say what you will but the big touring bikes are not racers and mostly run on highways. If you are racing the touring bikes are not the trick setup!

And dats the name of dat tune!!:moonBart

#22 ·
I just got back from Alaska, 11,600 mi round trip. I put fresh Michilen Commander II front and back and there is still plenty of tread left. Probably going to be able to get the rest of the season out of them. The guy I went with rides a Goldwing and he put a run flat CT on the rear and it rode fine but had to be replaced when we got back.

#23 ·
I think there is more to this story. The ct was a real piece as in cheap , was a used tire to begin with, Burned it off, was on before you guys left for a long time, Low,high air pressure. Or some other thing.

I had a cheap kumho on and showed it no mercy and when I traded the RK it was like new with 15K on it. Just my opinion and not trying to be a wise guy but my spidy sense is tingling.:think:biking:

#25 ·
I just posted this (again) on another thread, but I got over 27K miles on my last set of stock Dunlops and have nearly 4K on the new ones and they look like brand new (2011 Ultra). No problems with performance nor handling.

#26 ·
Got 12000 miles on my stock EG classic which is much better then the six I was getting on my 03. I think the wider tire on the 11 wears better. Did just replace with american elite. Very pricey personally I think we are a captive audience an tire people know it. If the ct take off I would not be afraid to try it.

#27 ·
you can run a 195/55-16 cooper tire with no problems as long as you are riding a 2009 or newer (that's when they changed it from a 150 to a 180 rear tire). I run a car tire on my 2013 and have had no problems, I can still grind the floor boards with anyone and get over 20k a tire, I am getting ready for my third tire on this scoot. For all the haters out there, try it before you talk crap about it. I have been riding for over 45 years and this is my only means of transportation, there isn't any hard rolling in corners or any of the other crap being thrown out there. Coopers are made in the US also.

#28 ·
Thanks noob.
For supplying an answer to a 3+ year old thread.
Actually. The OP was made back in 09. Then got revived in 2010, again in 2013. And now you.

BTW. Use of car tires has been talked about and is pretty much an accepted practice here.
Though not all of us do or would.
Has been discussed several times over.

And several have reported getting 20k+ out of, of all things, a motorcycle tire. :what?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.