Harley Davidson Forums banner

2013 Street Glide Turn Signal Bar on a 2004 Road King, HELP

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Jon_Fatboy_P 
#1 ·
I am putting a turn signal bar and license plate mount from a 2013 Street Glide on my 2004 Road King. I have to unpin the wires and repin them once they are ran through the fender. My question is does anyone know what new connectors I need to make them plug in and fully work? This is not only turn signals but also running and brake lights as well as the light for the license plate. There are 3 wires per light(black, blue, and purple) plus 2 for the license plate light. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
I am not asking about it bolting to the fender. I know it already does because I checked it out as soon as I got it. Yes the new fenders are wider but they didn't widen the mounting for the turn signal bar. I need help with setting up the wiring and what new connectors to get.

#4 ·
Can't you use your old wires? Slide them out the old socket then thru the new. Just a thought. Ofcourse black is ground.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
But there would now be an extra wire plus the wire for the license plate light for each socket, the old ones only had 2 wires per socket. I now have a grand total of 8 wires instead of 4. I would like for all functions to work if possible. The new bar is not only turn signals but also running lights and brake lights as well.

#7 ·
I'm guessing but I'd bet on it:

The blacks are common grounds for the duel element bulbs.

Use a jumper line to ground that black wire straight to the main ground lug or even the battery itself. Use another to jump the two wires for each side one at a time to the positive terminal on the battery. The brighter is the brake. The other is the run/turn.

You should be able to use a test lamp to find the right corresponding wires on your factory wiring. Maybe you can jus trace it. It's also in your service manual.

The plate light runs to any 12v+ switched source. If it's isolated the ground and the hot are not important but the one that is black or has a black line is probably the ground.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#8 ·
You took the bar from a 2013 bike. Was the bar new or was it on a bike? If on the bike there was a kit installed to make the bar be both stop, run, and turn. I have a 2012 Sportster and bought the kit to convert my turnsignals to be also run/stop and turn. The kit is inexpensive and is a plug and play kit. The way it works is a set of diodes are in a module that only allows current to flow one direction and not back. So when the brake is applied it will energize both turn lights. But when the turnsignal is applied the current can not flow past the diode in reverse to the other side. A dual element bulb is simple to wire because one side is brighter than the other so it makes sense which to use for the turn/stop and run. But, a single element bulb would need a resistor inline on the run side to dim it a bit and that way the turn /stop will override it with full power.

#9 ·
it was from ebay, a dealer take off of a brand new street glide. From what I am figuring out I should be able to buy new connectors and just plug into the current board behing the stock brake light, I was just trying to find out if anyone knew part number or the scheme to make it all work. I did see in the Parts and accessories book that they make a plug and play pigtail kit but of course not for my bike, go figure!

#10 ·
I got it all figured out! First I have to put new square female pins on the new light bar wires. Then i believe the blue wires from the signals actually get eliminated and everything else is plug and play! The two black wires for the license plate light need a 3 pin connector and plug into the socket on the top left of the board behind the brake lense. then to make the lights work as running and brake lights as well as turn signals you need to buy an adapter that plugs in under your seat from Harley!

#13 ·
. . . then to make the lights work as running and brake lights as well as turn signals you need to buy an adapter that plugs in under your seat from Harley!
You might also consider buying the run/stop/turn module from Badlands or Custom Dynamics. Same idea as the Harley unit. They plug between the primary wiring harness and the rear end sub wiring harness.

They are solid state and also would allow you to use LED bulbs in the future.

LEDs make a lot of difference in terms of brightness.

#11 ·
By George, I think you've got it!

That module does seem to be the key.

#12 ·
Yes, it will also fix the turn signals because when I tested them all to double check the turn signals flash a few times like normal then go into hyper flash mode. The module will straighten that all out or so I am told. I will be picking one up next week and giving it a shot. Hope it works out.

#14 ·
Thanks for the idea chasarms I will look into that before purchasing the Harley one. I know my budget is pretty tight at the moment as I am trying to get enough saved up for a set of Bad Dad Stretched bags....getting them painted is going to be the stretch part as the HD paint is almost 400 for my special two stage paint...I am thinking about doing the bags black then next winter painting the whole bike black and leaving all my red accents i did this winter which i will post pics of later.

#16 ·
Don't know about the module, but the blue wires are the running lights. This thread ends with this post at the moment without conclusion. So unless 01cummins13 or someone who knows the setup better then me responds saying all worked out. I'd keep money in pocket for the module.

BTW go the intro thread and introduce yourself. You'll get more responses that way.

Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.