Harley Davidson Forums banner

How old is too old?

4K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  mrafx 
#1 ·
When purchasing a bike, especially a touring bike, does the year matter, or the miles? I found a 1996 roadking that has everything I could ask for and it only has 15xxx miles on it. Guys is asking a phenomenal price I think, when compared to similar bikes, and I think I could even dicker a bit and get it cheaper than he is asking for it. Just looking for some feedback. thanks for taking the time to read.

#3 ·
'96 with only 15k miles? Wow. Depending on the price that is a win in my book. That EVO is bullet proof. Having owned a '95 and currently a '97 FLHT, there is nothing wrong with those years. I had 127k on the '95 when I totalled it. Got the '97 with a 113" racing motor with "issues" and 106k and had a stock crate OEM HD EVo dropped in at 108k and now have 140k+.

What's the price?

#4 ·
It depends on your ability to repair items or replace age related items like rubber. Evo gaskets deteriorate. The gasket technology has changed since then. Age is age, but if the bike is gone over and loved, there's nothing wrong with a 1992-up evo.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#5 ·
They guy mad the bike his own. looks like he spent a ton of money on it. It has everything I love. it has the stretched bad and the stretched tank, super beautiful candy red wine with ghost flame paint, its lowered (which I love because im too short for a standard road king). I don't think he did anything with the engine as far as upgrades, at least he didn't list it if he did. Bad news is im not mechanically inclined when it comes to the bike. I know to look for your basic things and listen for anything that sounds abnormal but passed that I wouldn't know.

#14 ·
Has the frame and tank been painted? If so, I'd want to know why, making sure it was not done because the bike was crunched. Sounds like a heck of a deal, but I'd also want to see receipts, and check out every fastener you can find-even under the bike. See if a wrench has been taken to them. Sorry, I'm gun-shy right now. Got a slight burn from my last purchase. Hope all goes well for you!:)

#6 ·
The last EVO is 98. So the last few years are good. Take it to your local indy if you have ?? Let them do a once over and give you some feed back.

#9 ·
The FXR was a sweet bucket of chicken, with biscuits.

#18 ·
I bought my 03 King with 7,000 miles on it three years ago. It was not well taken care of. Bought it from a fellow that buys and sells. Brought my BIL and nephew to look at it, while I drooled. Oil was black, some chrome badly pitted, but I figured the mileage was so low neglect would not be a factor. I was right, 15,000 miles later, I'm a happy camper. Talk to the owner, see if you can get a read on him as a person, if the price is right, I'd pull the trigger.

#19 ·
Great advice @dynaglydr and @GotGold. I really do want to jump at this deal, I just don't want to have a major case of buyers remorse, but id hate to miss it because I am so skeptical of it. I hate that its two hours away, yet that would be great because that means I could get some good riding in on the way home. I got a bit more worried today when I was looking through the forums today and saw a post about a guy that had some MAJOR problems with his TC88 (which im pretty sure is the same engine on this 96) and everyone is agreeing that that engine in some years needed a major overhaul because it was using cheap parts. That would definitely be my biggest fear.

#20 ·
Now I first thought you meant how old is too old to ride and my answer is when you can no longer hold it upright at a light or throw a leg over the saddle to start or when you can no longer keep your balance taking off from the light.

Otherwise age in numbers has no meaning. (said from one who first rode at 16 some 50 years ago) KEEPIN THE DREAM ALIVE

#21 ·
Nah, an answer to how old it too old to ride is to ride till you die because once you cant ride anymore you might as well be dead anyway.

#24 ·
It would be great if you had someone who knows bike motors to look at the bike with you. I doubt that the bike has a twin cam motor, and it will be a late model EVO. The last Evo's were the best of the lot as all the problems had been taken care of. If you start it and see no blue smoke and it idles without any knocks then it is most likely a good buy. Good Luck and don't show up with a shaking you can't control because you want the bike. Your true feelings will keep the price up. Best of Luck

#25 ·
Also, do a search for questions to ask when buying a bike. There are several threads in which wise people have shared some important questions to ask and what to look for. I found that help INVALUABLE when I bought my first motorcycle ever last August.

Diezel helped me and then wrote it his advice in a thread to share his knowledge. Others have added to that thread and created others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Confucius says: man who stand on toilet high on pot.

#26 ·
It depends on what you want.

The wrong bike with all the accessories in the world is still the wrong bike.

I recommend you decide what you want, then figure out what model and years meet your desires.

I want fuel injection , 6 speed and the 180 rear tire so that means 09+ for me.

#27 ·
Evo's are great engines that sound good and don't run anywhere near as hot as theses bastards today do... Having said that however a stock Evo was good for maybe 55hp when I rode them I nor any of my friends have wanted that in a 800 lb bike the old geezers rode them back then we rode springers and FXRs plus you have the cranky carb if it's fuel injected it's the magnetti marelli system which you DEFINITELY want to stay away from

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#28 ·
I like to start a motor that is cold.

all of it's quirks are readily apparent when started cold.

if the owner warms the engine up before you get there, then you can't see or hear what's going on so plainly.

to me this is a tell tale for any engine and in dealing with the seller.

I've specifically asked them not to when going to look at something and invariably, they always warm the damn thing up so you can't see blue smoke (piston rings leaking or worn) valve clatter, hard to start carb or injector issues timing maybe etc. get my point.

The rest of the stuff, brakes etc rubber, you can roll the bike around and inspect or visually check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.