Harley Davidson Forums banner

2009-2010 Ultra seats

34K views 67 replies 32 participants last post by  Ardeum 
#1 · (Edited)
New 2009-2010 Ultra seats?

Can anyone tell me if they have heard about the new seats coming on mid-year 2010 Ultra's. I was talking to a Harley parts guy today about lowering my ultra. I asked which option was best: Lowering blocks, Shocks or a reach seat. He then told me that as of January 22 all Ultra classic are coming out of the factory with a new seat to fix some of the problem. The seat is a mix between the reach seat and the comfort seat that comes stock. On the bottom of the seat it has the word "Low" stamped on it and a 2010 part #, and you can tell by looking at the stitching on the seat. The original comfort seat's stitching T's off to the sides under the drivers seat, and on the new "lower" seat the stitching goes straight back into the passengers seat.

The guy I talked to said that anyone with the original on a 2009 or 2010 could get a replacement "lower" seat for a discount until April 30th 2010.

I saw both styles on bikes and sat on them, and could tell a difference, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Has anyone else heard of this, or have one? How does the comfort compare?

Thanks!
:dunno

See less See more
#3 ·
I have an 09 EG and sat on one of the new seats on a 2010 EG and it felt much different. I was flat feet with my running shoes on which doesn't happen on my 09.

I would like to know if there's a HD service bulletin or something like that to support what you noted about a discount on swapping out the older version seat. No one in our dealership mentioned this to me when we had the same conversation.

#4 ·
I'm not sure that all dealers got a bulletin. The guy I talked to showed me the paper he had which pictured the bottom of the seat and the different stitching on the seat, and had the date on it for April 30th. I assume it was from Harley. The funny thing was, the salesmen in the shop hadn't heard of it, and the parts man showed them the paper also. I would check with your dealer and see if they can do anything for you.:dunno

#5 ·
They are new seats

I picked up my Ultra Feburary 13th and that was one of the 1st things I commented on when I sat on it that the seat was different. I had ridden a 2009 Ultra in June at Americade and told the HD rep I did not care for the seat, I am 6'4" and my back was sore from reaching down to the bars, the new seat is MUCH improved (for me anyway). The salesman I was working with said that HD changed the seat and was actually trying to get the dealers to purchase the previous version to sell. I'll have to look at the seat bottom when I get home as I have it off while installing my Gerbing hookup

Royce

#6 ·
I went to one of the only dealers open today in Iowa, and asked the parts guy about the new seat. He said he remembered something about it but had to look it up. He got a service bulletin out and found the one on seats. It said they started putting the new seats on in January for the remainder of the year. They are offering the seat to dealer at a discounted price to put on new bikes, but it was up to the dealer how they are going to handle the exchange. He made it so like it was for bikes that had not been sold yet.

The stitching is different and the bottom does have "LOW" stamped on it.

#9 ·
I purchased a 2010 Limited in Feb and replaced the seat with the new one...it made a big difference in looks, ride, and also sits lower than the one that came on the Limited. My understanding is that the Motor Company started installing the upgraded seat on all the tour bikes maunfactured after 18 Jan 2010.

I've attached the service bulletin link...hope it opens for you. The H-D Part Number is 52164-10 and the seat with shipping cost me about $136.00 from Surdyke Harley Davidson Online.

The upgraded seat does have "LOW" molded into the base of the seat. One other note...I only ordered the seat and reused my strap (it fit fine). I also did not purchase the backrest...it matches the seat just fine.

hdtrader
...screw a bunch of smilies
North Alabama

View attachment M-1265 new touring seat change[1].pdf

#10 ·
Thanks for getting the pdf file. That is the one that the parts guys were looking at. I guess it is up to the dealers on how they are going to pass this along to customers. But this does answer my questions.

#11 ·
Excellent info guys...thanks for all this.
Hey, did you notice is states "No warranty consideration is allowed under this bulletin."
They had to change it due to customer demand and after paying @$30K out the door you'd think this would be no brainer for swapping out if it fits you better.:loco
I'll take it to the dealership and see what comes of it.
Thanks again...that's what makes this a great forum to check back on when I get a chance.:)

#12 ·
...good luck on dealer replacement. I see it more as product improvement and not necessarily a defective part. Anyway good luck and hope you get it replaced...to me it was worth the change. I also sold the stock seat for about the same as the replacement...so it was a wash for me.

hdtrader
...screw a bunch of smilies

#13 ·
New Guy

Hi everyone. Very new to this site but just wanted to really thank everyone for thier comments on the Touring seat change. I knew I wasn't very happy with seat on my 09 Ultra but I figured it was just me, had no idea it was such a widespread problem. Anyway, thank you all agian for the great info.

#15 ·
...good luck on dealer replacement. I see it more as product improvement and not necessarily a defective part. Anyway good luck and hope you get it replaced...to me it was worth the change. I also sold the stock seat for about the same as the replacement...so it was a wash for me.

hdtrader
Good idea! Anyone interested in a stock 09 EG seat?
I'm going LOW!:nod

#17 ·
...if you order online through Chicago, LakeShore, or Surdyke you get it delivered to your doorstep for around $135. Then take your existing seat...put it the box the new one come in and post it on ebay for $135 plus shipping as a "Buy it Now". I've noticed ebay is getting saturated with the take-off seats.

#19 ·
Chicago added $15.00 on for shipping bringing it to $138. While I paid $15.00 more at the dealer, I could return it at no cost to me if I didn't like it.I've never dealt with Chicago but I've read they take some time to ship the ordered items. The dealer had it in four days later. I have dealt with Zanotti and they shipped to my door in a few days but their cost was $145.00. Not worth it unless I was ordering several other items making the saving worth the shipping costs. One reason internet to NH isn't as good a deal is the lack of a sales tax.

#21 ·
Originally Posted by rscalzo
The dealer will sell you a new seat at the discounted price of $154.00. None to date that I've heard of will swap them out.
oh yeah..PS - I did go to my dealer about the discounted price and he said it was a "limited time offer" the MoCo offered to the dealers and that it was over. :bluduh he quoted me $230 + tax if i wanted it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.