Harley Davidson Forums banner

Radio Replacement

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  streetnoyz 
#1 ·
I am looking to replace my AM/FM, casette radio on my '93 FLHTC with an AM/FM CD radio and do not know where to start looking. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Ed

#2 ·
I am a new member and I am sorry to see no one has ever responded to your query. I have the same desire to upgrade to a modern radio with a CD player, but keep all the handlbar controls. Same year bagger.
How about it? anyone got any ideas how this could be attained?

#3 ·
start with biketronics or hog tunes. they will have some bolt in replacement stuff. if you use the search feature here I know this topic has been covered before. you may fined more info. I usually do all custome stuff an the bikes I work on. at least its a start.

#5 ·
I upgraded to an AM/FM/CD player with an AUX and USB port. I was more interested in the AUX and USB ports than the CD. That way I can play music from my Iphone and charge it at the same time.

I ended up buying a marine grade head unit made by Kenwood. All the electronics have a conformal coating to resist moisture. I got it on Amazon for around $120. It looks and performs better than the stock unit from my 1987 Tour Glide. The only downside is the hand controls don't work, but I rarely used them anyway.

Just thought I would give you something else to think about. BTW, I have found that the CD will skip on roads with bad expansion joints . . . The iphone never skips.

'dale

#7 ·
there are radios available that you can keep the hand controls for instance any kenwood that has the wired remote control option. it is a blue wire with yellow stripe on the back of the radio. then there is an adaptor that can wire to the controls.

#6 ·
Dale, thanks for the reply. The hand controls are important to me. I use them almost exclusively. I had a rather lengthy conversation with a tech at Biketronics last nite. They no longer produce a plug and play complete kit for my bike, 93 bagger, due to the fact that the connectors for this model are no longer available. They will put a kit together and walk me thru adapting to what is available. I will get Cd, USB and better quality. What I will not get is weather radio. Shit!

Butch

#8 ·
I have an '01 UC, my dealer has told me that I can bring them the bike and they will do an upgrade (retrofit) of my system, upgrading to one that is MP3 capable, the cost was ~$400' still trying to decide if I want to spend that. I guess it may be a bit harder for an older bike though...

#12 ·
#10 ·
Pretty much any stereo designed with stalk controls can be adapted to work with handlebar controls. You just need someone who knows what he's doing. Last year, I put a Sony in the 05 I had. A local custom shop charged me $100 to wire it into the handlebar controls.

#11 ·
I have found that "Iron Cross" is a good source with any radio questions. They provide many upgrades and repairs on the Harley radios. You can research them on line for all their services. The tech line is 201-207-7157. I have talked to Tony when i call the number and he is very helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.