Harley Davidson Forums banner

HD Infotainment Update Caution

106K views 249 replies 78 participants last post by  Ibis117 
#1 ·
Saw that HD has firmware version 1.18.1 available for the Boom 6.5 GT Radio; verified I had the right one, downloaded and installed.

As some of you have discovered, it may result in bombing the GPS- blank map, failed route calculations...

Called HD- they send you a link to download/re-install your previous firmware (mine was 1.17.4).

My advice is not to install new firmware on a weekend, as HD tech-support can't be reached during that time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
A suggestion to those even contemplating downloading the new version, even if you wait till HD Tech support is available. DON`T!!!!

If the fix is reinstalling an older version then installing the new to begin with makes no sense.
Wait till the bugs are worked out and the revised version is available.

#4 ·
I would always suggest waiting a month or two after a new release on GPS software. That way if there any bugs they should be known. I worked in systems over 37 years and yearly adopters are bit in the rear.

#5 · (Edited)
I didn't say to use or not use the firmware update...apparently it works for some hardware versions.I'm just saying if you do ANY firmware updates don't try them on a weekend, as tech support is unavailable.

If you have a 6.5 system go to Setup, and check your Hardware version (not software version); Home>Setup>Hardware. If you have a Hardware version that ends in "1-1704" (the original, factory-loaded firmware 1.17.4) DO NOT install 1.18.1.

If you ever need to know the original software the bike shipped with just use the procedure shown above; the reason you look in Hardware is your Software version number will change if you ever flashed (upgraded) it. HD Tech Support will need your original hardware number to email you a link to get the factory firmware to undo the damage and restore your radio to its previous configuration.

At this time there is no published fix or upgrade path...you'll just be reverting back to where you started.

Considering this firmware was posted in late August, I imagine HD and Harmon-Kardon are having quite a discussion...Tech Support indicated they have had many calls on this issue.

#6 ·
Here is a link to download the older version 17.4 if the new update doesn't work. I had to convert back since the new version didn't work for my bike. I had no gps or maps.

https://transfer.harman.com/message/5qGniGcFR5nEKiSPI6Te2v

After you open the sight you will need to enter your email and hit submit. Then you will receive an email with a verification link to take you to the the download for the older version.

#7 ·
Right you are Ronko...HD Customer Service sent me the link. Downloaded and installed; back to 1.17.4 with all the functionality I had before. Maps, etc. all working again.

Even tried re-downloading/re-installing 1.18.1 a second time, thinking it might have been a bad download...same results, so I reverted back to 1.17.4 and let it be for now.

I sent a detailed email to HD with the case number, including screen shots and a list of questions...we'll see what they say...most disappointing was a Customer Service Rep who asked "well...why would you want to change the software?" Grrrrr...don't get me started. She then went on to say that I need to take the bike to a dealer, as "there is a fix they can do with the Digital Technician Software".

Odd...as the two closest dealers I called about this had NO idea what they meant, and said there is no way the DTS can access the radio map function; they insisted that it's all done by the end-user in downloads directly from HD, so it's my problem.

Interesting tho...in doing the installs I noticed that 1.17.4 has 7 packages (software components), and 1.18.1 has 9...but upon installing it seems to skip from package 7 directly to package 9.

Another of the questions I asked was if there is some intermediate step to upgrade (i.e., 1.17.4 > 1.17.5 > 1.18.1); we'll see what they say.

#8 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm an analysis technician for the company that does warranty research for Harman and used to work for Harman as well. I was just doing a little research on some of the new software issues and ran across this post and thought I would drop some things on here for you.

What you all are experiencing is an issue where the company that makes the maps has a license for each variation they put out. Units with software 1.17.4 and below all have a older map files that 1.17.5, so an older license. No dealership has had access to 1.17.5 updates as upgrading to 1.17.5 causes the navigation to no longer work (will be stuck in the navigation not ready state) because the license file is wrong in 1.17.5 for the 1.17.4 maps. This also caused an issue where dealerships and technicians were trying to 'update' the software but were actually downgrading it to 1.17.4 from 1.17.5 and causing the nav to stop working on new units that come with 1.17.5 installed.

The packages from 1.17.4 to 1.18.1 isn't something you should worry about. They are referring to firmware for different components inside the unit that are probably already up to date from 1.17.4 so they don't need to be further updated. If you were coming from 1.16.9, then they would most likely need it.

This new software is Harman's attempt to fix the licensing issue so everyone can continue to update their software without breaking the Nav files. I was just made aware of the possible problems with the new software and they are working on a patch to fix the units that can't update as we speak.

#11 ·
Thanks for the update...I suspected it was an issue with breaking the connection to the Nav database (Naviextras?).

This makes me wonder about how this is going to work for those that ponied up and paid the $$ to Naviextras for updated map files...depending on what maps you want, they can be from $150-$200.

#12 ·
No problem. I'm not sure what the cause of the new issue is, but I was told today that they believe it will effect any unit made in April. So if you look under system information, and hardware, and the s/n starts with anything from 90-120 (ex. 118330040) then you should not update your unit.

I don't know if any other units will be effected, but I was told these definitely will be.

#13 ·
Great information ISYSRepair.

And this has to rate as the best 1st post ever.

#14 ·
Thanks! I also left out that I believe this only pertains to the premium units, so the standards should still work fine (I updated 3 today without issue)

Hopefully they will have a new revision for everyone soon.

I don't have a Harley, so I probably won't frequent this site very often, so if anyone wants to ask any questions I assume personal messages will make it to my email.

Have a good one guys!

#19 ·
My 2014 Ultral Classic does not have Sirius-XM installed. Can it be installed or does a whole new system have to be installed?

I am wanting the weather radar option that a buddy of mine has. His system looks just like mine (4 buttons) but he has the Sirius-XM which has weather radar included with it.
The Sirius-XM is an addable option for the 6.5 system. It is WAY overpriced.

I don't think weather radar is part of the package though.

#20 ·
Yes you can get XM on it. You can buy the SiriusXM hard part component and have it installed. The part costs about $400. I have a 14 Trike Ultra and that is what I am going to do as well. If you fish around in the Infotainment system a bit you will see the SiriusXM touch selection there, but it is grayed out. That is because it is set up for it , but it just does not have that optional component installed. OR you can simply get mobile CM on your iPhone and Bluetooth it and listen to it that way. I have also done that and it works fine. I just want it on the bike because it sucks so much battery juice and not so sure about the streaming data being used up while doin it. I don't have an unlimited data plan so it could be quite costly if I went over my limit. So. I am just gonna save my pennies and get the component and be completely satisfied.

Yes. Some may say it is pricy...and yes I agree that it is, but so is anything you buy for a Harley. Heck. Think about the price you paid for the bike itself and then ask yourself what is another 400 to get what I want?

My 2014 Ultral Classic does not have Sirius-XM installed. Can it be installed or does a whole new system have to be installed?

I am wanting the weather radar option that a buddy of mine has. His system looks just like mine (4 buttons) but he has the Sirius-XM which has weather radar included with it.

Y

#23 ·
I would not do that quite yet. Just my opinion. Harley will have an update out soon that supersedes 1.18.1. I have a ton of information and help stuff over on my website if anyone is interested. Law Abiding Biker dot com /HarleyBoomBox. A good resource for bikers dealing with the Boom!™ Box System.

#24 ·
Harley pretty much admits they messed up...at the very least they should have put the notice "only apply this software if your motorcycle shipped with 1.18.0"...

The latest reply I have from the MoCo is that they are working closely with the Infotainment manufacturer to find a solution...until that time, dealers have been instructed to reload the original factory software for customers with upgrade problems (for those that can't do it themselves).

BTW, I've watched a number of the videos on lawabidingbiker...good stuff, thanks for your dedication to the motorcycle community.

#25 ·
The new update is now available at the dealerships (at least at mine). It also includes a separate patch to fix the navigation issues. I do not see the patch as a separate download on the HD website.

I had them load the update/patch over the weekend on my 2014 Ultra Limited (which did not work with the previous update) and all systems seem to be working fine.

Wildcat

#27 ·
Wildcat, what is the version number they installed?

#30 ·
I just had my 1k service done last Tuesday and the service adviser told me that they will update my system free of charge while they doing the service since the current version is 1.17.5 ,and there is new update available and there is a patch for that also.
After I've read this post i went to check the bike AND (drum roll...) the version is still 1.17.5 .Don't know if they failed to install or forgot .I will be calling them on Monday to find out what happened

#31 ·
Law Abiding Biker videos are good. Used the paid full video myself! The Harley manual is so lacking. I bought my 14 Limited in August. Dealer told me to update it immediately. So I did, well I thought. I actually went one software backwards and messed up my nav. No dealer I called knew anything about the issue until they called warranty services. Had to re download the new unpublished software to get it to work.

#33 ·
Been watching this thread as I downloaded 1.18.1 shortly after it was posted but I didn't have chance to install it as I needed a new USB stick, luckily I saw others were having issues so held off installing.

Just looked at both USA & International radio software update sites and both still say "Software download temporarily unavailable"

Both sites list 1.18.1 as last available update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.