Harley Davidson Forums banner

HD Infotainment Update Caution

106K views 249 replies 78 participants last post by  Ibis117 
#1 ·
Saw that HD has firmware version 1.18.1 available for the Boom 6.5 GT Radio; verified I had the right one, downloaded and installed.

As some of you have discovered, it may result in bombing the GPS- blank map, failed route calculations...

Called HD- they send you a link to download/re-install your previous firmware (mine was 1.17.4).

My advice is not to install new firmware on a weekend, as HD tech-support can't be reached during that time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#63 ·
Software update for International HD riders

For international HD riders There is a different software than for US residents.

You should go to this page.

Harley-Davidson® Infotainment | Harley-Davidson International

You need a clean and empty USB and only place the unzipped iso file on the USB. Put the bike in ACC and turn on the radio. Then put in the USB. The Bike will take over the rest. Acknowledge the software update and just wait. A progress bar is shown onscreen... It reboots at 8/10 and 9/10 and at the end shows when the USB can be removed.

#64 ·
For international HD riders There is a different software than for US residents.

You should go to this page.

Harley-Davidson® Infotainment | Harley-Davidson International

You need a clean and empty USB and only place the unzipped iso file on the USB. Put the bike in ACC and turn on the radio. Then put in the USB. The Bike will take over the rest. Acknowledge the software update and just wait. A progress bar is shown onscreen... It reboots at 8/10 and 9/10 and at the end shows when the USB can be removed.
Hi at the same time I read your info, I got the same info from my local dealer. Thanks for the information, now it works...

#65 ·
I have a question related to this:
I am planning a trip in USA summer 2015 on a rental bike with Boombox. I have created the small tour on Harley Rideplanner, but since I have European maps on my bike I can not see the trips on my bike.
Would anyone of you in US be able to help me, I could send you the GPX file and you download it and open it on your bike. You must have this latest version 1.8.1.3 that can take more than 9 waypoints

#66 ·
I have a question related to this:

I am planning a trip in USA summer 2015 on a rental bike with Boombox. I have created the small tour on Harley Rideplanner, but since I have European maps on my bike I can not see the trips on my bike.

Would anyone of you in US be able to help me, I could send you the GPX file and you download it and open it on your bike. You must have this latest version 1.8.1.3 that can take more than 9 waypoints

You van sens me your file i will trybit on mine, i havé thé latent version on It!

#69 ·
I upgraded to 1.18.3 and finally had a chance to ride the last couple of weekends. I've noticed that the interface to my iPhone 5s (iOS 8.1.3) isn't working correctly.

When playing music, the advance to the next song feature flips the Infotainment system back to radio. In addition, I am getting random switches to the WB5 channel. I had similar problems with the Bluetooth connection in the car that was solved by deleting and re-pairing the Bluetooth, but it's not correcting the problem on the Infotainment system. I will be re-installing v1.18.2 again this weekend to see if that corrects the problem.

Stay tuned...

#71 ·
Well, the problem persists in v1.18.2, which leads me to conclude the problem was likely generated by the iOS 8.1.3 upgrade that was pushed recently. Returning to v1.18.3 and will continue tinkering with it. That is, after all, what cold and rainy weekends are for.

#73 ·
I just did a 3rd update on my Ultra Classic the other day. I have never encountered any problems and everything seems to work fine. I got an Android phone but all is well.

I will stress to follow the install instructions. I friend of mine had issues but he was missing a step.

Use an empty flash drive. Move the UNZIPPED files to the main/root directory of that drive.

#74 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm well aware of the install perils...have updated ~5 times (bought the first week the Project Rushmore was released).

Loubob, what model phone are you using? The boss (wife) and I both have the 5s and experience the same problem, which is why I initially thought it was the Infotainment update.

Hopefully, Rangemaster will offer up some wisdom.

#82 ·
I've experienced a few lockups regarding commands to the phone as well, and have an iPhone 4s too...but I strongly suspect it's the iOS (operating system in the phone) that had some mods in the last phone firmware upgrade.

I think Apple just released another firmware upgrade this week (iOS 8.2); will download and test.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#83 ·
I've heard Harley has every thing jacked up with the latest flashes because of the new Boom II stuff they released and the latest flashes are giving new problems , mine is out of date and I'm leaving it that way till they get one that works.

#84 ·
V.1.18.3 upgrade

Looking at the newest upgrade to v.1.18.3 from v1.16.9, my hardware version is s/n 311330428, I just installed a Kenwood 400w 4 channel amp and hertz hcx 165 200w front speakers, anything I should worry about before I do it? 2014 streetglide special, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks, new member

#86 ·
Flyboy42, I've upgraded to both and not having that problem. But inability to advance song using hand toggle is still a problem (switches to radio). Guess we're all discovering undocumented features lately...

#90 ·
Hey
I had the same thing happened to my bike with 18-3..went back to dealer and they did a factory reset. Also had Been having trouble with after market amp flash .well it was the first ride home that I can actually hear the radio..looks like the EQ ver changed also..the factory reset fix more than just to toggle switch.it was like it needed a reboot after the software update. these new radios are very trying
Good Luck

#87 ·
ww1269, is everything working with your new stereo setup with v1.16.9? If so, you should be good but may experience some of the issues we have documented on 1.18.3. If you have upgraded before, recommend you retain a copy of the 1.16.9 just in case you need to go back. May also want to stop by a Catholic church and light a few candles first, just to be safe.

#89 ·
Mine is transmitting intermittently when paired with an iPhone. It will also go into CB mode and when I just volume nothing is happening. I am also unable to get it out of the CB mode. I just did the update about an hour ago. I'm going through my manuals because I did just pick the bike up yesterday. So we will see. first bike with this much stuff on it. I hope I don't regret the purchase.

Edit five minutes later: I was able to get the CB off. I was looking through my manual and couldn't find much on it then I went online and it mentioned a separate manual that I didn't see to begin with.

#95 ·
AAAHHHH problems keep growing. My bike powers up now with no way to adjust volume about half the time. I shutdown and restart and it works. 1.18.3 seems to grow problems over time......
we are test monkeys for MoCo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.