Harley Davidson Forums banner

De-Cat or go True Duals?

15K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  jpassh2o 
#1 ·
I've heard a lot both ways so I figured I'd see what you guys think. I have a 2014 sgs. I have CFR mufflers and love them. But I've lost a good amount of power with the slipons with no tune.

I've been tossing around the idea of cutting the cat out of the stock header and going with S&S stealth intake. If I cut the cat out do I have to tune before I run the bike? I've heard of nightmares tuning CFR's. Would a power commander 5 be sufficient or should I get it dyno'd? I waited 8 weeks for these pipes and they cost a pretty penny. I don't want to discolor them.

All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
I've got S&S semi-Duals and KW muffs. I also have DJ Power-vision tuner.

The tuner (or tune) is key, I think. Honestly, I like the look of the S&S headpipes and I enjoy the lack of heat from the cat. However, having run the stock h-pipes with slip-ons and the PV for the first year...I can't say I noticed a big change (in terms of sound or performance) when I went with the "duals." My guess is that the H-D stock head-pipe is probably pretty efficient...even with the cat still in. If you're just doing exhaust mods, without some sort of fuel system upgrade (even just X-IED's,) you're - at best - leaving most of your performance on the table.

I feel like the tuner is the most critical piece of the puzzle. Get the air cleaner and some sort of tuner, first. Then worry about the head pipes.

#9 ·
I went with the de cat pipe with XiED's and V&H Monster Rounds and had great sound and better performance and less heat.
Last year put on V&H Dresser Duals, V&H Air Intake and Fuel Pak, The performance is much better now, nice even sound, just runs great and have not had any problems at all.
Either way is better then stock, but going all the way is the best way or you will be doing the second upgrade later on.

#13 ·
Hmmm...did you get it dyno tuned? I went to true duals, SE AC, Pro Tuner and dyno tuned and my mileage actually improved a bit. Getting 43 mpg all over the place. I live at about 1,000 above sea level. Now if I get on it all the time and ride 80-90 to get somewhere quick I'll see a bit of a drop, but otherwise I'm about the same or better.

Reactions: nytryder47
#12 ·
I have a 2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and put on VH True Duals, RC Component mufflers, SE Air Intake, SE Pro Tuner and had it dyno tuned. Sounds great with low rumble unless I get on it and then it will bark. Couldn't be happier. The only other way I could benefit with more power is go to stage II (cams, etc.) and put on a 2 into 1 exhaust, but not now...I'm happy!!

#17 ·
I have a 2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and put on VH True Duals, RC Component mufflers, SE Air Intake, SE Pro Tuner and had it dyno tuned. Sounds great with low rumble unless I get on it and then it will bark. Couldn't be happier!
:nod same here except I have a Fulsac head pipe with cross over.

#15 ·
Have a 2012 Electra Gluide Ultra Classic and bought a used pipe so I could keep the original and took the Cads out of the pipe and it gets a little bid better gas mileage and it has more power and sounds better. I talked with a guy who sells the tuners and he said it is not needed that the computer will reset and make the difference.If you would see the cad, it looked like a honey comb so no wonder they can't breath!!! I'm happy with the change and it was the cost of a used pipe. There are company's that cut them open take the cad out and weld them shut for about $125.00 if you don't want to do it.

Ps I just drilled mine out with a long drill bit! :grin

#18 ·
Pretty much the same here except I went with Freedom performance true dual headers and 2 1/4 Fullsac baffles. Was also told by two different shops the computer would adjust itself. After 2500 mi I pulled the plugs and they looked perfect. My fuel mileage is up 2-4 mpg depending on wind and mph. I suffered no low end loss of power either. hope this helps.

#20 ·
De chatting made my wife happy... but I recommend Dyno tuning if you can find one that will get the A/F correct.... IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.