Harley Davidson Forums banner

Slip-Ons

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  budda 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Ultra Classic which has the stock exhaust on. I am looking to put some different slip-ons on it. Will I need to have a download done and a bigger air cleaner put on it? I have heard because of the bigger pipes on the touring models it might not be necessary. I am looking for anyone who did this and what slip ons did you put on and were you satisfied with the results. I am looking for some more noise but not excessive.

Thanks, Pastor Jeff

#2 ·
I put vance and hines dual slash rounds on my 05 and it sounds satisfyingly louder, but not obnoxious. Didn't have any popping.

Once I went to a high flow air intake, I got the tuner. Have yet to ride it with that on, but I trust the advice I got here to do it.

Reactions: budda
#3 ·
I have 4" chrome Rineharts and love the sound.
I would suggest doing an air filter upgrade and at least a download if not a tuner while you are at it.

Reactions: HD16Lmtd
#4 ·
I've got a '12 Ultra Classic with 4" Rineharts, de-catted the stock head pipe myself with a 16" paddle bit, V & H naked VO2 intake and Xied's, no tuner and it runs great. Hope this helps

Reactions: HD16Lmtd
#5 ·
Jeff,

The short answer is no. But why put performance parts on a bike, and not change the air fuel mixture to a performance air fuel mixture.

Your O2 sensors will adjust, but you'll be running a close line towards lean. You'll see cooler engine temps and better performance by adding more fuel.

Reactions: Colt.45
#7 ·
look around, I wasn't sure either when I started modifying mine and bought my Xied's off eBay used for $40, they work great but I will eventually go with an FP3,

#8 ·
What Dave said. If you're only doing mufflers, you're ok. You'll run lean and warm, but good. Did you de-cat the header already? If not, I would suggest doing that along with the mufflers.

As for muffler selection, I would suggest looking for a set of CVO take off slip ons from an Ultra, gutting them and installing Fullsac baffles. I went with the 2" baffles, and had the muffler tips powder coated black. Ended up similar to the 4" Rineharts, but for quite a bit less cash. They also have smaller baffles available which will run a little quieter, but still rumble nice. The muffler gutting and baffle install is pretty easy if you have a grinder or dremel tool. I replaced all the packing material also with Techmat Thermal Insulation.

#9 ·
I am going to take the time and money to do this right. I got the bike I want so might as well plan the work and than work the plan. Thanks for the advice from all of you. Dave63, as always thanks again for your knowledge.

Pastor Jeff

#11 ·
I have a 2012 Ultra Classic which has the stock exhaust on. I am looking to put some different slip-ons on it. Will I need to have a download done and a bigger air cleaner put on it? I have heard because of the bigger pipes on the touring models it might not be necessary. I am looking for anyone who did this and what slip ons did you put on and were you satisfied with the results. I am looking for some more noise but not excessive.

Thanks, Pastor Jeff
I have Street Cannons with everything else stock on 2015 Road King. They are louder than stock but not excessive IMO. The engine runs a tad cooler and gas mileage dropped a bit, compared to stock mufflers. These are indicative of a slightly richer mixture, despite the fact that the opposite would normally happen. My personal guess is that the ECU may be slightly over-compensating the freer flow.

#12 ·
#16 ·
You will also want to go to Fuel Moto's website, they are doing a lot of work with the 2017 M8's.

Reactions: hockeydawg12
#18 ·
Have a 2011 Limited. This winter I added a decated crossover pipe. Have V&H's twin slash mufflers. Added big sucker air cleaner. And bought the FP3 tuner from Fuel Moto. I was chopping at the bit to get out and test it. Had a week here that was mid 60's (Wisconsin). Was not disappointed. A little more power. Nice sound. runs cooler. Easy to do. Good luck Side note 2 inch of snow today! Just sucks. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.