Harley Davidson Forums banner

Ultra Limited security alarm

21K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  DRVMN 
#1 ·
Ok, so maybe I'm missing something but I was under the impression that the security system included an audible alarm as standard equip on the 2015 Ultra Limited. But from reading the manual I think the audible alarm is an "option" to purchase and install.

Is that correct, or did I just not set up the security setting?

If I move the cycle without the key fob the lights flash and they do, but no alarm or horn sounds. So if that's all the security system does what good does a few flashes of lights do to deter anyone?Wouldn't a siren or horn deter a bit more?

Just not sure if I'm missing something in the set up of the security system?

#2 ·
The audible alarm/siren is not standard with the HD fob security system but may be added. And I don't know how much of a discount your insurance company might give you if your bike has a security system but my insurance company, State Farm, only gives a discount (don't know how much) if your security system has the audible alarm. They don't give any discount at all for only the fob security system.

#4 ·
The audible alarm isn't real expensive, can't recall the exact amount, as for install it's extremely easy. Remove the left side cover the wire for it is there, plugged onto a holder, unplug it, plug it into the alarm, slide it into the slot for it, run the antenna wire up above it , stick on the supplied velcroe, put the antenna wire on the velcroe, side cover back on, your done.
It works pretty good, not overly sensitive but if someone tries to move the bike it goes off.

#6 ·
Ya, like sirens make any difference. I used to have a Borla exhausted Camaro and it would set off every alarm in my underground parking garage as I cruised by.

#11 ·
Thanks all.....I'm not much of an electrical guy but I'll check it out and see if I can do it. But then again IF its that simple how much time (ie: cost) for the dealer to do it? Can't be that much......he said!

BUT after watching a video of the install I think I can do it myself.

Just one question.....on my 2015 Ultra Limited.....when I pull the large fuse (maxi fuse) before I work on the siren...WILL the pulling of that fuse erase any stored settings in the nav/radio (channels, stored trips, clock, preferences, etc etc) ?......In other words will it require a complete reset?

If so, what is the "danger" in not pulling the fuse when installing the siren? It's a simple plug and play so there really isn't any wiring to do.

Thanks again,
R

#12 ·
Just one question.....on my 2015 Ultra Limited.....when I pull the large fuse (maxi fuse) before I work on the siren...WILL the pulling of that fuse erase any stored settings in the nav/radio (channels, stored trips, clock, preferences, etc etc) ?......In other words will it require a complete reset?

Or....can I install it and NOT pull the fuse? (since its only a 1 plug connection)

#16 ·
Strange....I called my insurance company (Allstate) to ask if there is a discount IF I install the siren. They told me that my VIN number indicates that it has a siren as standard........obviously I know they are wrong.......but they also said "no discount" since its already applied. So, I plan to install anyway.......Just wanted to know if its required to pull the main fuse.

#17 ·
They are probably considering the security system for the discount.

#18 ·
Look at eBay...search for "Motorcycle Alarm Siren fits Harley"....a guy sells the piezo siren modules with the correct connector already installed on the wiring harness...for those of you that don't want to wire it up or don't have the correct connector. $25 shipped. I've used them on my last 2 Glides ('08 Standard, '14 Ultra Limited) and they work great...plug and play.

#19 ·
The cheapo sirens work well. In fact, I might say they are a little louder depending on which one you use.

The only real benefit of the H-D one is that it has a battery in it that will allow the siren to continue to sound if power to the bike is interrupted. It also will sound if someone unplugs the siren from the bike without the security disarmed. And, it has an antenna that you'd need if you want to use the security pager.

Not sure that's worth 3x the price.

#20 ·
I purchased the Harley-Davidson alarm for my 2016 Ultra Limited. Installation was pretty straight forward - five minutes, and it's plug and play - no wiring, splicing of wires, etc. I did not pull the main fuse . . . I just kept the key fob in my pocket and waited until the end to plug the wire harness in. The alarm fit tight, but it fit. I am happy with the alarm, which by the way, ran about $94. It lets me know that the bike security system has armed, and I like the fact that I know if someone is messing with my bike. I also purchased a pager that I carry with me if I leave my bike in the parking lot at work (I am a high school math teacher, and don't want students messing with my bike). It will let me know if someone has set off my alarm. It gives off two warning chirps, and then the third time the alarm sounds. Only thing I can't figure out is why the alarm is not "standard equipment". You pay $20,000 plus for some of these bikes and you would think Harley-Davidson would add the alarm too.

#21 ·
. . . Only thing I can't figure out is why the alarm is not "standard equipment". You pay $20,000 plus for some of these bikes and you would think Harley-Davidson would add the alarm too.
The alarm itself is standard equipment on that bike, but the siren is extra. Granted, flashing lights aren't much of a deterrent, but it is technically an alarm.

#26 ·
Not really, if you wired the horn to the siren plug. The siren does not sound when you use the signals. It should not be difficult, but above my electrical level.
And another "but", the horn is exposed and easy to cut wires, siren is hidden and hard to reach.

#27 ·
...and the HD siren has an internal battery that's designed to still work if the cycle's battery is disconnected or "tampered with". The less expensive aftermarket sirens don't have that feature. Again, nothing will stop a "pro" from getting your cycle IF they really want it, but they do help keep the "honest" people honest.

#28 ·
I just installed the HD brand siren.....as others have said, it a 10 to 15 minute job max. Total "plug & play" (lol, my kind of install!) My dealer had an open house last weekend and gave me a 25% discount so I bought it.

It's plenty loud and should discourage the "curious" but I'm not interested in buying the remote pager since the LAST THING I want to do is confront someone who's possible a 'pro" who's armed and trying to steal the cycle......that's why I have insurance.....they can have it....LOL.

The siren chips twice upon arming after I shut down. If the fob isn's present and the cycle is moved the siren will sound two short alarms and if the fob is not present after that, the siren sounds off long and loud.

Worth the $80 and few minutes install.

#32 ·
Standard on limited model. Not ultra Classic. Usually you can get them to add it as part of the "Deal". Least I have been able too..... Twice.

#33 ·
I disagree..... the audible siren is NOT "standard" on the Limited. I should know since that's what I own. But as others have said it takes 5 min. to install. The compartment for the small siren box exists under the side panel along with the wire and plug. I agree it won't protect against someone who really wants the cycle (like a pro) but it will scare off those who want to "play around".

Still, always best to lock the bags and lock the fork....but even then if a "pro(s)" wants your ride, it's gona be gone! That's why replacement value insurance is your best bet. (IMHO)

#34 ·
I think some folks got mixed up. The security system is standard on the Limited. The siren isn't.

#35 ·
The security system is standard on the 2016 Ultra Limited, but the siren was an extra $94. The siren simply adds "noise" to the flashing lights that the security system has. The other thing I would suggest is resetting the access code in case you lose or forget your fob. The access code is a five-digit code that allows you to operate your bike without the fob. When I purchased my Ultra Limited, the factory code was 1-2-3-4-5 if I remember correctly, so I immediately set my own code so that no one could start my bike up with the default code. If your fork is not locked and someone enters the factory code (which takes seconds to enter) your bike will be gone just like that. I remember using the left and right turn signal switches to set the code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.