Harley Davidson Forums banner

Fuel level

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  naknekpete 
#1 ·
The other day I took about 140 mile trip on my 14' flhtk and it needed fuel according to the Guage. OK fuel up. 3.7 gallons..... what the? That don't seem right. And usually it needs more like 5 gal at that point in the Guage. Took the Guage out and cleaned it with some electronic spray cleaner. (Like carb cleaner) it's working like new again. Has anyone else have this issue? Bike has 23k on it and was wondering if it's a regular occurrence that I should add to my winter checklist? I only use premium nonethenoal fuel unless I have no other choice. Like out west. Thoughts?

#3 ·
The gas gauge on my Ultra Classic is cool looking but I don't trust it. As long as it reads more than 1/2 tank I don't worry about gas. But my main gas indicator is the trip meter. I reset it at every fill-up and when it gets to 220 I start looking for a gas station.

Reactions: Breeze3at
#4 ·
I have a Kuryakin LED fuel gauge but I don't rely on it either. The trip odometer always lets me know when to fuel up.

#6 ·
Trip is your friend, just make sure you adjust on how your riding on that tank. 160 miles I start looking for a gas station--when riding "normal". However, 160 is dead empty when running higher speeds.. don't ask me how I know.

Reactions: uncas and peanut
#10 ·
I do use the trip odometer to know when to stop. 180 or a bit more on the freeway @80 mph. And 200+ @60mph. Unless im hard on the throttle then 160 is about the norm. But the Guage had been working great and reliable till recently. So it comes in handy with mixed ridding. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and found a fix or something.

#12 ·
First 2 or 3 fillups with this new bike, I was checking the mileage against the trip meter and the "r-meter". Not too sure I am ready to trust the "r-meter" yet, but the gauge seems to be in agreement with it. Still rely exclusively on the trip meter.

#13 ·
I usually don't trust fuel gauges for the above reasons, but
mine has been extremely accurate, including rxxx to empty.
I must be lucky.

#14 ·
Jeez-o-pete. What size tanks do you guys have that some of you are getting 280 miles before hitting reserve??? I've got 4.2 gal. and I'm lucky to get 135 miles before I have to switch to reserve. Then maybe I'll get another ten miles on reserve. I know I'm getting all the gas there is because it takes 4.2-4.3 every fill up. That puts me at 32 mpg with the 93 Softail. That sucks.

#15 ·
My Guage has been very accurate till the last couple fills. Now that I cleaned the sensor it seams accurate again. Even lineal, as in it doesn't go fast then slow then fast again as the tank tapers. I've got a 6 gal tank. And usually get 38mpg on the highway. A bit better slow Cruz speed.

#17 ·
To the original poster: I have a 14 limited as well. When I fill up using super unleaded fuel, here is what I have found.if you do a "standard" refill, the miles to empty will say 250. However it is more likely around 220 give or take a few miles.

What I do is a term called packing fuel and I can get about 240 miles in a pinch but don't like doing it as you never know.

Anyway here is how. Super unleaded and if you can find it ethanol free. ( better mileage without ethanol). Fill up with Super and when the fuel is at the top of the filler stop the pump and rock the bike back and forth. The fuel level will go down. Repeat this until the fuel is completely topped off and will no longer go down. I have found that at times I can add about 1/2 to a little more fuel to the tank. Works great when going on long trips.

If I am just tooling around the city and not going on a long haul, I just fill it till the pump shuts off. Try it and I believe you will find it works. Another thing to consider is temperature. You will be able to put more fuel in the colder it gets and less fuel in when it is hot.

Glenn

#18 ·
Speaking of temperature, last week I was on fumes on my way home, topped it off, about 55* outside, parked it in the garage and went out later to do something and had a large pool of gas vented out under it. Not good with a oil fired boiler in the garage too. I had to siphon out about a quart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.