Harley Davidson Forums banner

Heritage Style Handlebar Install - 2011 RGC

31K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Cannonman58 
#1 ·
I have done this in other forums, being that this is the first HD forum I joined I thought I would do the same here... hope these threads help other newbies with their diy's...

Parts needed:

Heritage Style Handlebar - Satin Black - 55864-09 $61.20
Twist Grip Sensor Kit - 32310-08 $70.15 (not needed if you are careful of the old part when removing from stock bar)

Tools Needed:
Torx T30
Torx T40
7/8" Open wrench

Front fairing needs to come out to makes things easier... some will say that you can do this without taking out the fairing. I don't see how or do not see why would you fight to install when removing the fairing and disconnecting the TBW cable since it makes this install soooo much easier...

Anyway, remove the fairing. Don't know how? Here you go:

Front fairing removal - 2011 RGC

Remove the speedometer housing.

You will see the cable coming out of the handlebar.

Once you identify the cable, follow it to the back, and disconnect it. You will have to cut a tie wrap that holds it together with the other cables.

Carefully pull the cable out of the fairing.

Remove levers and control housing and slide the grip straight out...

Now comes the fun part

Carefully slide out the TBW sensor and cable out... just pull it gently until it comes of the handlebar notches and then help the cable come out by pushing it from the bottom of the handle bar and pulling the sensor at the handlebar grip end. I hope that makes sense... basically do not only pull on the handlebar grip end without helping it by pushing the cable from the other end.

See less See more
#2 ·
As you pull you will see the famous green plug everyone talks about...

You actually have two plugs, a black one and a green one. The black plug is easy to see how to disconnect. Push the small tab and disconnect. For the green connector there is a need to push a thin screwdriver or a, like in my case, a long thin pin, to help disconnect it.

Once you have disconnected both connectors you will be able to pull out the cables completly and move those to the new bars. Wooohoooo....

Installing in the new bar is also easy, specially if this is the only cable you are inserting... I did not even need a fish wire/string to help, but feel free to use one for ease of install. In my case I only inserted on the bottom end and gently pushed the cable in... went in all the way without issues.

#3 ·
Remove the old handlebar... top bolts are easy to get to

Lower bolts require you to remove or at least loosen the plastic housing around the frame.

Remove switch, nut, insert, spacer, and plastic cover with the on/off/acc script. This will allow you to push back on the plastic covers to get access to the bottom bolts.

Remove bar

#4 ·
Install new one

Install switch housing again...

Install grips, levers, housings...

Before installing front fairing be sure to connect all the plugs you left unplugged last time you took the fairing off... use a few tie-wraps to organize everything... I also put some black electrical tape around the Oil temp gauge to stop the light from filtering into the back of the fairing... I will update the other thread on this...

Take a step back, admire your work and drink your favorite install fluid.

#5 ·
Nice writeup as usual, wachuko.

The only problem with the Heritage Style bars is that you miss out on all the fun dealing with the control pins! :icon_lol:

But the only caution I'd add is removing and reinstalling the key switch can be a major pain if you're not familiar with how it works. A member here posted a video a little over a year ago and it really helped me when I did my bars.

YouTube - Harley Ignition switch removal from a 2009 Street Glide
I will also try to find the link to making the tool in case you need it for the switch...

Thanks Phil!

#7 ·
Thanks for an excellent informative posting. I am also looking to swap the bars on my 2011 RKC and your post will be a massive help when I come to do it. However, here in the UK, the HD parts catalogue says these bars are "not suitable for bikes fitted with ABS". Nobody here seems to be answer why this should be the case...........as all the ABS "magic" sits lower in the bike and I cannot see why a piece of tubing in a different shape would effect the ABS! I'm assuming your bike has ABS and there were no issues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.