Harley Davidson Forums banner

Rider Backrest Mount - 2011 RGC

59K views 53 replies 41 participants last post by  Cannonman58 
#1 ·
This is an extremely easy task but since I took the photos I thought I would share them anyway...

Only need two 7/16" wrenches for most of the bolts... 1/2" and 3/8" for the bolts in the middle black bar.

I was debating between the adjustable unit and this one... I figured I would give this one a try first, if it does not work for me it is only 23.00 wasted... but it if works, it is a 150.00 saving from the adjustable mount.

Ok, here we go. Remove the seat. Instructions asks you to remove the side cover, but if you have girly hands like I do... :laugh you can install the bolts without having to do so. Or you can put tape at one side of the wrench to hold the nut in place while you start it...

I only moved the ECU aside while tightening the base.

Install the upper base and leave it loose until the middle bar is installed.

Once middle bar is in place, tighten all up...

Again, there is a level of adjustment with this mount, just not on the fly and as easy as with the other unit... I hope it works for me.

See less See more
#33 ·
I would not buy performance parts from them like exhaust and such but Kuryakyn sells a lot of other stuff. I have one of their adjustable back rest units and am very happy with it. It is adjustable for angle and how high. Cheaper than HD and works well. Also has different styles to match seat cover etc.

#35 ·
I have mine mounted without that black bar attached and it's still pretty sturdy. I wanted mine as far back as possible and in that position the bar did not reach. I was careful at first thinking that it might tweak the fender, but it feels solid. Harleys are built stout!

--

#42 ·
I am trying to install the HD non-adjustable riders backrest on my 2005 Road King Custom. Because of my seat, I can't move the bracket back any further than the second set of holes. In that position I feel like I'm sitting on top of the tank. I've read on another forum people have heated the backrest rods and bent them a couple inches. I have a question though, will a propane torch heat it up enough to bend? And if anyone has, do you have any pictures?

#43 ·
Looking to add one also, leaning towards the non-adjustable also. Question besides the stock touring seat I also got a badlander seat with my Electra Glide standard, since this seat does not have a rider's back rest spot will the bracket have to be removed when I use it? I'm thinking there isn't enough clearance under the seat to have it installed?

#44 ·
Nope

#46 ·
I don't use the little reinforcing bracket that attaches to the front of the main mount. I have my main bracket mounted on the rearmost position with just the two studs on the fender. It's plenty strong enough for me like that and I'm well over 200 lbs. I "adjusted" my backrest rods with a big hammer and a block of wood (just slightly). No heat. For me, these mods make it work just fine.

#47 · (Edited)
You'll end up denting the fender without it. Lean back hard against it while stretching and opps. Speaking from experience.

#48 · (Edited)
Hasn't happened in two years. But it would be easy enough to fabricate a longer piece if it's a big enough concern.

--

#51 ·
Can you tell me how you like this bracket over the adjustable cable style? i want to install a rider's back rest, but cannot decide which style to go with/ I know this is will change due to each rider's comfort level. I'm with you on saving the money with this if it works

#52 ·
You have to ask yourself if you will be moving/changing its position often... if that is the case, go with the adjustable unit. Me? I did not move it once it was in place... so it made no sense to spend the additional $ for the other one... but that is only something you can answer...

All I can tell you is that having a backrest was a great idea...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.