Harley Davidson Forums banner

Rider Backrest Mount - 2011 RGC

59K views 53 replies 41 participants last post by  Cannonman58 
#1 ·
This is an extremely easy task but since I took the photos I thought I would share them anyway...

Only need two 7/16" wrenches for most of the bolts... 1/2" and 3/8" for the bolts in the middle black bar.

I was debating between the adjustable unit and this one... I figured I would give this one a try first, if it does not work for me it is only 23.00 wasted... but it if works, it is a 150.00 saving from the adjustable mount.

Ok, here we go. Remove the seat. Instructions asks you to remove the side cover, but if you have girly hands like I do... :laugh you can install the bolts without having to do so. Or you can put tape at one side of the wrench to hold the nut in place while you start it...

I only moved the ECU aside while tightening the base.

Install the upper base and leave it loose until the middle bar is installed.

Once middle bar is in place, tighten all up...

Again, there is a level of adjustment with this mount, just not on the fly and as easy as with the other unit... I hope it works for me.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, the holes are already there.

And yes, it provides some level of adjustability, just not on the fly. You will have to select a position, test, remove seat, undo, move , install seat, test... until you find the position of the base that best suits you.

#10 ·
I put an ajustable on this evening, and I couldn't find any pics anywhere. So I took the time to take them as I put it on. As a very new member here and a new Harley owner, I posted it on the new to the forum if anyone wants to look. I wish that I could have found this thread earlier, but the other hand is the full one.

#11 ·
I put one on my bike like Rothke has above just before my Saddle Sore 1000 ride and I'm glad I had it.

#12 ·
I love the backrest but use caution where the signal/brake wiring harness passed through that tight hole there in the fender. I developed a short in the right signal wire due to the tight passage and bend angle. Took me quite some time to determine the cause of the short being there and several fuses. There really needs to be a better way to route the harness to prevent the damage.

#15 ·
I just installed my backrest. I was unsure on how much of a difference it would make, But after about 400 miles... I'M A BELIEVER!!!!! A definate must have especially for long trips.

#17 ·
I just installed my adjustable rider backrest, we'll see if it crowds her, she did mention she missed hanging onto the one I had on the Valkyrie.

#22 ·
I'm 6'-2" and I had a cheapie on one of my other bikes. I forced me to sit to far up and I got rid of it. Are any of you guys 6-2 or taller and use a backrest?? Does it force you forward to far? I'd loveone with enough adjustment to let mesit "normally" but don't want to pay for a 200.00 experiment that might not turn out well. :loco Am I just being a whining little girl about this or are there other cheapskates like me?? :loco

#23 ·
the one i got you ajust it buy the various holes on bracket . they sell one that ajusts the fly ajustable with a cble .. check ebay lots of take offs for both typs .

going to work on getting mine mounted today ..

#24 ·
I installed on my '04 RKC and it has made a huge difference. With my hobbit legs had to adjust full forward, but now I don't feel like I am slipping away from the controls. Also have the reach seat and shortened reach bars...may have to get even tiny apes to make it better still. I love the fact that I can adjust the crap outa this ole girl. Didn't buy aftermarket yet Harley seems to have good stuff at reasonable prices. YMMMV

Attachments

#25 ·
As i mentioned eatlyer in this thread i bought a neer new backrest on ebay but i needed the mounting bracket ,Another member here was kind enough to send me the mounting bracket for shipping cost THANKS KEN .
Today I installed my new Rider Backrest on my 2008 FLHRC . Then took it for a 80 mile test ride. I was going to install it last week but the mounting stud plate the backrest braket bolts to was missing from my bike the previous owner musta removed it. heck ! dealers are all 100 miles away .
This Saterday i was able to get to HD & buy the missing studplate and plastic retaining washers , a cpl ss lock washers ect .
To get the mounting studplate fished up under the fender without removing the rear wheel i had to jack the bike up a bit fill the air shocks to max and let all of the air out of the rear tire .
There was only about an 1/8 inch clearance and with the plastic tubing over the threaded studs they were tight against the tire and fender ...i just pulled the tubing threw the mounting holes in the fender and rotated the tire slowly till they were in place then grabbed one with needle nose locking plyers till i could get the plastic retaining washers in place.
Then i just bolted the mounting bracket on easy .

I am still getting it ajusted just right . It is great
Wa a goodtest ride today 70f sunny.

#28 ·
The guy who owned the bike b4 me is 6'5" the back rest is waaaaaay to far bak for me at 6'.

Gotta move it way forward. the tilt adjust, in the back rest, is also very adjustable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.