Harley Davidson Forums banner

2017 limited vs 2014 limited

31K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  sidedraft36 
#1 ·
All:
I test rode the new 2017 limited today with the new Milwaukee 8 today. Here are my impressions and listen, I am not trying to deter you from purchasing the new model. My opinion may differ but let's get started.

Pros:
Holds one more quart of oil so now will be 5 quarts instead of 4.
Engine is awesome and pulls hard, nice roll on power.
Twin cooled just like the 2014 model (water and air).
That's about it folks.

Cons:
Frame feels like it is short coupled compared to the 2014. Feels like you are closer to the fairing.
When shifting through the gear box you definitely feel it in your left hand. After a short test drive I was getting hand fatigue.
When rolling up on stopped traffic there is a defined wheel wobble compared to the 2014 model.

Final opinion:
Trade in value for a 2014 limited with 30k miles and a ton of upgrades is only 17k. The 2017 is going for 27k. So it is a 10k difference. I am sure there is some wiggle room both ways. That said, I still am in love with my 2014 limited. The dealer is pushing real hard about the engine and frame upgrade, but to be honest, there is not enough there to want me to pull the trigger on a new limited. My 2014 has stage 1 upgrade, a tune and Rhinehart slip on exhaust. I did not really see a difference between my engine and the Milwaukee 8 except for sound. I am sure the new limited is more powerful in stock vs stock but the differences are so minor, I am choosing to keep my 2014 limited at this time.

Not trying to beat up the new limited just giving an honest opinion on my test ride.

Let me know what you feel about the new limited.

Oh yeah here is my 2014 limited

Glenn

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
On my 14 limited, there is maybe a slight dip when hard braking. On the 17 model, I didn't perceive any difference from the 14 other than the seating felt like you are closer to the fairing and handlebars in other words the 14 in my opinion is more roomy. There is a defined wheel "shimmy" on the 17 when you are riding slow i.e. Under 5 to 10 mph. The 14 seems more stable at slow speeds.

Again this is my observation, others may vary.

Glenn

#4 ·
I'm thinking that if you own one of the Rushmore bikes there won't be much change, but if you own a 2013 or older bike, then there will be a real improvement, above and beyond the little changes that happen every model year..

#5 ·
I will test ride one soon. I love the new motor design and will likely be selling the 2010 Limited to get a 2017......If the better half is on board!
Now I love my 2010 and could enjoy her for many more years, but this new motor along with suspension and all the other tech improvements I am excited for a new one!:grin

Reactions: tekslk
#7 ·
I'm happy with my 15 Limited(once I get rid of the Rineharts). The dual spark plugs, 4 valve set up I suspect is for emissions more than anything else. The metrics have had this for years. With mine being a 2015 Rushmore update, I don't think I would see that much difference either, not enough to warrant the cost diff.

#8 ·
If you have a pre 14 limited and ride the 17 limited, I bet your going to be impressed. I had an 07 ultra classic and when I rode the 14, I was sold. If you have a 2014-2016 and ride the 17, I think your not going to be overly impressed. As I stated earlier, I felt a little cramped on the 17 vs my 2014.

Think I will just wait for a few more years and see what HD comes up with. Love my 14.

Glenn

#9 ·
re: front end wobble

I spoke with the parts guy at my local dealer today and he told me that the 17's have a new type of front suspension. Rears are supposed to be better also. I put Progressive monotubes in my front end, 2013 Ultra Classic, have the stock air shocks on rear. Noticed they were near perfection when I first got it back after install riding alone. Went on a trip to Oregon and loaded up luggage and my wife. Pumped 40 lbs into the rear. Felt a nice wobble when slowing/stopping at a stop sign or light. Put in another 5 lbs in and it went away. I think, just my opinion, that the monotube front suspension make the bike more sensitive to both front and rear shocks being synchronized (for lack of a better description) ie: tweaked for load and riding situation, proper rear air pressure for single, two up, and loaded. Could be a similar situation with your experience on the 2017. Looking into rear shocks as the rears do great at cruising speed and loaded but a bit harsh single at street speeds, usually run 13-15 lbs when riding alone. Not gonna look at a 2017, maybe 18 after the bugs get found. Otherwise, I'll keep pimping mine up and ride her forever.

#12 ·
Could be, to me it felt like the triple tree did not have enough tension. The forks felt very easy to turn. Could just be a simple air pressure thing. At any rate the new bike is fine but I like the 14 better.

I hope some people that have ridden the new 17 will chime in.

Glenn

#14 ·
I'm not understanding how the '17 could feel shorter in the saddle. It's the same frame, I believe. Same tins, etc. The front internal suspension is different, but I believe it's the same triple trees and down tubes that were introduced with the Rushmores. In terms of ergonomics, it should be the same bike as a 2014.

Of course, the stock bars (and probably the stock seat) would last exactly the ride home, so that wouldn't be an issue very long.

#15 ·
All I can say is that it felt a little more cramped compared to my 14. My seat and bars are stock. I have highway pegs the 17 did not. But riding on the floor boards, I felt like I was closer up to the dash/fairing compared to my 14.

If any of you have a 14 model, please go ride the new 17 and see how you like it. Would like your thoughts.

I like the 17 but my main complaint was the feedback through the clutch when shifting. I really don't think that should occur.

Let me know after you test ride what you think.

Thanks
Glenn

#17 ·
OK I have a 2014 Road King. I only have 15,000 miles on it but it is not my first Road king. I read all the reviews about the 2017 Limited so I setup a trade in deal and test road a 2017 Ultra Limited. Now my bike has every accessory you can think of and Cats have been removed with RX Exhaust pipes and a big Sucker Air Intake. It also has a Vance and Hines Fuel Pack. My Bike has been Dynoed several times and I guess I got lucky because mine without any other Mods Dynoes much higher than most other bikes. I got #2 in Waco Harley Dyno contest. They offered $14,000 for my bike.

They made me ride with one of the Salesman but I was able to take my Wife. I ride two up most of the time so it was a real good test with two up. Curious but my review would be almost identical with the reviewer above. There are some additional comments. The reason the bike seems shorter is that the Limited Seat for the Front Rider is shorter. I know because my Wife caught her foot on one of the buttons on the Road King Seat and ripped the seat so I replaced it with a seat off a Limited. The Motor has no more power than my 14 Road King and was kind of sluggish. If you blip the throttle the response is slow like a Chevrolet with Throttle Body. If you bought one and put a Stage 1 on it, it might improve a lot because it felt really restricted. The motor did not shake hardly at all and idled a little slower.

The Bike rode literally like a Jap bike. The Suspension was very nice and smooth.

I hate Heel shifters so shifting was a little off but the other reviewer was correct. I could feel every shift in the Handle bars. My Road King has a Cable so the Hydraulic felt Spongy to me. Gears did not Clunk at all.

My Wife said I griped the whole ride.

I got back and they wanted $525 a month to trade and I was not interested.

Wife liked the Radio but the reason my Road King does not have one is because I have ti listen to Radios all day long so the quiet is nice.

I am not saying buy one are not just that I might have traded if I could have cut those payments in half but I do not feel I am missing anything either.

All the Hype about the Motor being all that much more powerful is just Hype.

My Bike had no wobble at all solid as a rock.

#18 ·
I also rode the 17 RG. I feel overall it's a good bike and the power you get from a stock bike (compared to the previous stock bikes) is great. Didn't ride it long enough to really get a feel for the seat. Although I do believe it seems a bit closer to the fairing. My con with it is...when I asked the tech where the other two spark plugs were (cause you can only see two) he said straight down on top of the head and you have to remove the tank to change them. Not a big job but more than I want to do. Just MHO. Ride on !

#26 ·
I think on the CVO's you can still get the CB. It is available as an add-on. I think you need the CB module, PTT button, antenna stud and whip. Either you want one or not. We use ours all the time and that may be why I am hesitant to buy a 2017. They are already about $800 more than 2016 and add another $700 for the CB stuff.

#29 ·
I'm glad I have the 15' Ultra Limited ..... I enjoy having the CB. I don't use it that often but I like having the option. I won't be looking to buy a new Ultra Limited for AT LEAST another 4-5 model years........(that would put me at 70 years of age, so maybe a Trike would be more likely....LOL)

#31 ·
I found the new bike nice except for the Clutch. Every time I shifted I got a bang in my clutch hand that is not normal. I asked the dealer and they said all the 2017 motorcycles do it even the 3 wheelers. Can you imagine buying a bran new BMW car and every time you shifted you felt it in the steering wheel. They wouldn't be in business very long.

#41 ·
I also felt it. Not really a disqualifying factor in not buying the bike but it really felt weird. My most disqualifying factor was a whole lot of money for a bike that seemed no better than the one I was riding with a weird feeling in the Clutch.

Another question. There is a rumor around here that Harley is voiding warranties after Pipe changes. Anybody hear that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.