Harley Davidson Forums banner

Alert: Spark Plug wire rubbing

42K views 68 replies 29 participants last post by  2017Roadidemike 
#1 ·
If you have a newer Touring HD, probably all Rushmore bikes but maybe just 2015 and up.
Check your front sparkplug wire. The wire rubs on the tank about 3-4 inches above the boot. Will eventually rub through.
I've seen it mentioned on-line before and had forgot to check. A buddy "Yon Yonson" checked his and it was wearing pretty bad and he mentioned it to me. I checked mine and it has wear as well. You would think HD would have a recall on this.

#64 ·
I replaced both spark plug wires with a set of Harley-Davidson's Screamin' Eagle Plug Wires (and also added Screamin' Eagle Spark Plugs). A little bit easier said than done . . . the front spark plug wire is "attached" to the frame (clips and zip ties) - the part of the frame that the fuel tank straddles, so in order to get the OEM wire off, and do it the right way, I had to remove the left saddlebag so I could remove the strap across the passenger part of the seat, so I could remove the seat, which meant removing the backrest too. All so I could get to the fuel tank and remove the tank and expose the front plug wire. Two of the "clips" were zip ties that push through holes in the frame and I did not have new zip tie mounts, so I cut the OEM plug wire so I could pull it out of the zip tie and then zip tied the new plug wire to the current clip. Worked fine. On a positive note, I was able to dust off the inner frame and top of the engine!!!

#68 ·
Thank You, I owe you one also!

I just took a peek at my '14 Ultra, Yes a nice groove has formed right along the weld seam on the gas tank. 22k miles on a new to me bike! Another trip to the dealer GRRR!

Reactions: slingshot383
#69 ·
I just bought some “ twisted 12 mm plug wires but there ain’t much room on my 2017 road glide HD didn’t leave much room for anything in that area . I put an S&S FP3 on my bike installed a stage 1 S&S intake and next is those stock exhaust are coming off , I am putting the S&S sidewinders on next week hoping to get some use out of all the potential power out of the M8 engine . I’ll post next week to let you all know how she runs . Back to the plug wires you are right they are tiny and no room for improvement I may have to return those new nice red plug wires I’m worried they will burn n get stuck somewhere. Take care all ride safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.