Harley Davidson Forums banner

Alert: Spark Plug wire rubbing

42K views 68 replies 29 participants last post by  2017Roadidemike 
#1 ·
If you have a newer Touring HD, probably all Rushmore bikes but maybe just 2015 and up.
Check your front sparkplug wire. The wire rubs on the tank about 3-4 inches above the boot. Will eventually rub through.
I've seen it mentioned on-line before and had forgot to check. A buddy "Yon Yonson" checked his and it was wearing pretty bad and he mentioned it to me. I checked mine and it has wear as well. You would think HD would have a recall on this.

#3 ·
through the wire covering. where it is rubbing on the tank couldn't be seen anyway.

#4 ·
Thanks, I wasn't worried really about the paint. I'll give the wires a look, thanks for the heads up!

#5 ·
I owe you one. I just did the 25 K service checked my plugs cause the bike is two years old, and decided to change the plugs though the bike runs perfectly but I didn't check the wires up under the tank. I just checked due to this thread and my front plug wire has chafed through to the colored lining under the black outer cover and I will be buying new wires for both cylinders, and trying to figure out how to keep it from rubbing on that inside edge of the tank. I really appreciate the thread, and it once again confirms how good this forum is!

#32 ·
what did your dealer say peanut???

Opps. hadn't read through the whole post before i sent that.

#9 ·
Just went out to the garage to have a look and sure enough I've got a nice groove in the front plug wire. Thanks for the heads up, I'll head on down to the dealer and see if they've got a fix to go with a new plug wire

#10 ·
I only have 1100 miles on the '16, but yeah, it's rubbing pretty good.

I bet they have a fix and plan on doing it quietly when you go in for service (aka secret recall).

#11 ·
6,500 miles on my 2015 Ultra Limited and I found a substantial rub area on that wire. I wrapped a few nylon cable ties around the wire to help protect it. I suggest WE ALL contact HD to inform them so they can issue a recall or an alert to their entire dealer network.

#12 ·
I have a 2014 Road King. Last year I discovered a significant wear area (maybe .75 inch) on the front plug wire. I had some clear plastic tubing left over from a motorcycle battery purchase some years before. (The tubing was meant to be used as a vent tube.) I cut about a 2 inch section of the plastic tube and slit it along its length. It fit perfectly over the plug wire and didn't even need any tape to hold it in place. It's still there.

af

#13 ·
Thanks for that info. I owe you one also. I have a 14 and as soon as i read this I ran out to the garage to check mine. Only have a pencil line mark on mine. I twisted mine to make it turn the other way and its fine now. I will keep an eye on it from now on. Thanks again ..............Rick

#16 ·
OK. I did the clear tubing on my spark plug wire. Looks good and its a tight fit so it can't move around. If anyone hears something from a dealer let me know what they come up with. I spent 1/2 the day calls some of my ridin friends to clue them in. Thanks for the heads up :smile........Rick

#22 ·
No offense to anyone,but old news. I read it right here almost two years ago. Checked my 14 SGS at 1000 mile service found my front wire with a pretty good groove. Stopped at dealer couple days later tech looked at it took it in and replaced wire under warranty. He bent boot towards head and suggested I keep an eye on it. He mentioned it was common , the boot isn't quite at the proper angle. I did add a tube over wire ,as suggested, for peace of mind.

#23 ·
Not offended, but why put down a thread about something important that a whole bunch of us obviously didn't know? I for one am REALLY glad it got posted. Glad you've known for all this time.
Sometimes "old news" is new news to someone that needs to know. If anyone has any more "old news" about Rushmore bike issues, I'm all ears.
Just sayin

#26 ·
So I stopped by the dealer today to ask about this issue. The dealer here will be replacing the spark plug wire and they have a clip that goes on the wire to keep it from rubbing. They apologized for not checking it on my last service. No charge, warranty covered.

Bruce

#27 ·
Just checked mine, and there is a significant groove worn in the wire. Heading over to the stealership in a few and have this repaired. Just got the gas tank chrome cover replaced today...might as well let them use some more of that warranty stuff.

Reactions: Colt.45
#28 ·
OK, for what it's worth, NO service bulletins, NO recalls, No Nuthin from MOCO on this subject. And of course I had to have them special order the replacement wire. Asked about a clip or some other item to keep replacement wire from doing same thing. Nothing in the book....playing it by ear until the replacement happens, and will be standing there to make sure something is found to keep from a return visit for same item later.

#30 ·
Thank You! I just checked my 2016 Ultra Limited with just under 3,000 miles. Sure enough, the plug wire had a wear mark on it where it rubbed against the tank. I wrapped the plug wire with electrical tape for now to give it some protection. Can't really see the electrical tape, but even so, it's better than seeing an exposed wire!

#31 ·
I took mine in today for the Steering Head bearing inspect/lube and swing back check, and told them the forum was lighting up about that spark plug wire, they changed both for free! Thanks again !!
No clip by the way, so I'm going to try the plastic tube trick previously mentioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.