Harley Davidson Forums banner

Has your shift shaft stripped out yet?

43K views 45 replies 34 participants last post by  Ingramite 
#1 ·
On another HD Forum I also read I found this thread. From what I read it appears to be a fairly "common issue", although it isn't brought up on this forum. So, I'm wondering how much of an issue this really is on the newer HD touring models.

It appears that the shift shaft's splines strip out (the shaft next to the primary NOT the heel/toe shift shaft). Some have suggested poor material quality and evidently both HD and many dealers are aware of this issue.

Anyway, not being much of a wrench turner myself I'm wondering if this is really a "common issue" or are the other forum's writers blowing this out of proportion, as to it's frequency?

Clicking on the following will take you to the other HD Forum and the specific thread:

Has your shifter shaft stripped yet? - Harley Davidson Forums

Thanks

#31 ·
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, there is a guy who's invented his own solution to this. The Better Lever. I installed one 4 or 5 years ago when I was almost stranded. I was only 3 miles from home and I limped back.

The stock lever is made with a female splined end that slips on the male tranny shaft. The flaw in the stock design is has one slot that is closed by one bolt and when the shaft gets worn the bolt can not close the hole enough to securely clamp the shaft. No matter how tight you torque the bolt. The Better Lever has a double split (like the bottom of a connecting rod) and 2 bolts. Once you clamp down on this lever (with some locktite for good measure) it is solid. Because of this design it will clamp on a shaft that is partially worn down. Once in a while I check that both bolts are tight. Just do a search for "The Better Lever".

#33 ·
IF nothing else their web page shows exactly which part has the issues (little video clip). Some are confused thinking it's the lever closest to the heel toe shifter....as I've said before, it's NOT that lever.....it's the one closest to the transmission.

#35 ·
Every new bike I have been exposed to (not many) needed ALL of the levers retightened by the 1000 mile check. This has been a problem for many years. After the first retightening, mine have stayed tight, no further arm or shaft wear.

The other weak spot in the shift linkage is the ball joints on each end of the rod. They seem to start failing (separate) at about 25,000 miles. They can be easily replaced but the new ones will probably fail in about the same distance. The more permanent fix is to replace them with spherical rod ends (heim joints). I have never heard of one of those failing and they make shifting a bit more "crisp". An experienced parts guy can find them at Harley but many people go to the hardware store or order them on line. The factory style joint incorporates the mounting stud. The heim joints will require nuts, bolts and washers to mount.

#38 ·
It's from stomping to hard.

The spline lets go because it's being forced beyond the alloys strength. The motorcycle puts no strain on the shift lever spline ..... Only the riders method of changing gears does!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#39 ·
A 10-year-old girl can shift through the gears on a Harley with her hand with the bike on a jack. But for some reason many 275 lb men feel it necessary to stomp on the levers to get it through the gears when the bike is being ridden. That’s the reason it’s a “common” repair. Just check the linkage and levers regularly for tightness and PRESS the foot levers through the gears. If it takes more effort, the clutch likely needs to be adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#40 ·
Totally agree ... One of the guys I ride with in PGR has had 4 in 6 years. He keeps talking about "it's junk". I keep telling him you make more noise than my old International KBR12 with the continental in it ... Three gear boxes no syncros .... She growled sometimes .... He sounds worse.

It's so bad when he trades one in it goes to the wholesale auction to avoid the pissed off second customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#41 ·
I had one strip on my 2015 FLTRX. It was the inner side with the lever that drives the linkage. That lever never was tight on the spline from day one and no matter how much I tightened the pinch bolt there was always some slop. It finally gave out after a couple of years even with me being pretty damned gentle with the shifts. Replaced the shaft and the inner lever. No play. Nice and tight now.

#43 ·
I had them remove the heel shifter before I ever picked up my bike from the dealer.

When I test road a Street Glide I was coming off a Dyna and my foot got stuck between the shifters for just a second but I was coming up to a stop sign at a busy intersection and it scared me off of the things for life.

Reactions: slingshot383
#45 ·
^^^ It will happen to EVERY 2014-2016 touring bike? Bold statement, got some data to back it up or is that just your opinion?

Reactions: Kainam
#46 ·
Learning about this is a Harley Owner Rite of Passage.
I can't say with certainty that "they all do it". I can say that if you are not torquing that pinch bolt on the shifter arm every chance you can, yours WILL fail.

Not to get into Atomic Hair Splitting, the metal on the shifter arm is the sacrifice part being softer than the splines on the shaft it mounts to. When it gets loose or abused the splines on the inside of that arm get trashed. At that point tightening it won't help. But leaving it loose will eventually damage the teeth on the hardened shaft.

Very common.
It will only happen once (expensive) before you ditch that heel shifter and stop stomping.
Easy does it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.