Harley Davidson Forums banner

Has your shift shaft stripped out yet?

43K views 45 replies 34 participants last post by  Ingramite 
#1 ·
On another HD Forum I also read I found this thread. From what I read it appears to be a fairly "common issue", although it isn't brought up on this forum. So, I'm wondering how much of an issue this really is on the newer HD touring models.

It appears that the shift shaft's splines strip out (the shaft next to the primary NOT the heel/toe shift shaft). Some have suggested poor material quality and evidently both HD and many dealers are aware of this issue.

Anyway, not being much of a wrench turner myself I'm wondering if this is really a "common issue" or are the other forum's writers blowing this out of proportion, as to it's frequency?

Clicking on the following will take you to the other HD Forum and the specific thread:

Has your shifter shaft stripped yet? - Harley Davidson Forums

Thanks

#2 ·
I have been hearing more and more about this. Seems it gives no warning and you are pretty much stranded when it happens. You would think HD would take care of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Mine did twice, heavy foot going around curves and had to change compensator to a Screaming Eagle version

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I had this happen on my 84 EGC , if the lever is loose on the spline the vibration will work on it ,and thru time and use make it worse......
left me stuck in 1st gear west of Albany 150 miles from home:banghead
On my 89 I took a slice out of the heel/toe shifter pinch point with a cut off wheel & die grinder to tighten down on the spline better .....

Not good pictures....

Attachments

#5 ·
They are not talking about the heel/toe shifter spline. They are referring to the other end of the shifter rod near the primary case. Just wanted to clarify the exact part so others will understand. Mine is all wrapped up and put away for the winter so I can't really look at mine for awhile. Maybe a trip to my dealer to check out a new one would be worth it. I can also ask service about its frequency of failure and see if there's anything I can do to prevent it.

#6 ·
Some of the cause can be attributed to the owners stomping on the lever to shift. It makes me cringe when I see some guys shift. Force isn't necessary, just a firm movement until you feel it engage. But, I do check the tightness of all my shift levers as part of maintenance intervals.

#7 ·
I`m with Breeze on this one, I`ve known many guys who stomped on that heel shifter, then complained that the shift lever on the shift shaft came loose...

It does appear that an incorrect torque was specified on some bikes, which could certainly lead to a problem.

The 2016 service manual calls out the correct torque, which is a bit higher than the value specified in the service bulletin.

Get in there and check that torque, it`s a grade 8 bolt, you aren`t going to hurt it...

Reactions: JLR
#8 ·
Well, since mine is all detailed and wrapped up for the Chicago winter I'll wait til Spring before I inspect and tighten to the correct spec. But from all the posts I've read, it sure does seem to be a frequent issue on many later model HD's.

#15 ·
But from all the posts I've read, it sure does seem to be a frequent issue on many later model HD's.
It has been an issue since 1980...

If you check the torque periodically on all the levers and linkages, and press, not stomp, to change gears, you won't have this issue.
What Silverback said......

#10 ·
If you check the torque periodically on all the levers and linkages, and press, not stomp, to change gears, you won't have this issue. The only time I approach "stomp" force is engaging 1st gear for the first time of the day.

--

Reactions: Jimmers
#11 ·
Happened to my 84 Sportster. Had to use vice grips to shift home and ran a pin through it as a fix.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Something to add on list of Critical Fasteners list. I go thru list once a year. Remember Loctite is your friend.

Reactions: kd5cqt
#13 ·
Not sure if this is exactly the same, but I had never heard of this until 3-4 months ago when I took my bike in for 30K service. At that time they said the shift shaft seal and my clutch cable also needed replaced. The shift shaft seal is a cheap part (under $1, I think) but to get to it was tough and cost a lot because of labor. Luckily I bought the extended warranty so it was completely covered. Once my bike is out of warranty I'll try to attempt a lot of the work myself, assuming I am confident I can do it. I have the service manual so that'll be a lot of help.

#17 ·
Had it happen twice to me on the front shifter (heel/toe) but not on the back shifter, knock on wood. Been more careful about how hard I shift since I started having issues.

#18 ·
Yep...it happened to me on the way back from Sturgis to Texas on my '03 Electra Glide Classic! Luckily I was not too far from home, about 100 miles. At first I was stuck in 2nd gear but after some duct tape and bailin' wire I was able to shift in all gears and got home.

Went to H-D dealer and the fix was expensive!! About $700!!! (ouch) Probably got ripped!

I now have a 2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and am much more careful not to slam shifts and I check the torque on it every time I do any kind of maintenance!

#19 ·
Mine is bad right now. I'm currently researching what's involved in fixing it myself. My shift lever was loose last year, so I tightened it up. Then I noticed my shift shaft seal leaking, not too bad at the time, a few drops of Redline on my floor. Now the lever is tight and the shaft moves around quite a lot. When I checked the tranny oil it barely showed on the dipstick. Haven't seen any fluid on my floor in awhile. I thought it had gotten better. Guess again!
I'm guessing the shaft splines are stripped and the play in the shaft further wore out my seal and leaked the fluid. I have the manual and have read a bit about dissasembly, so I am planning to get the tools needed to tear down my inner primary and remove the main sprocket. I'm hoping the inner pawl, springs, and gears are not damaged. I've read that this problem is quite common.

#20 ·
Just checked the torque on current ride, and it is fine. However, had the last Ultra shifter lever start flopping around and was replaced under warranty....and I don't stomp my shifter when riding although I agree that is not a good thing and will probably be a contributor to the problem. Rode that bike nearly 80K without further problem. Had same problem arise on my '04 Ultra. Was riding it to work with intention of brining it to the stealer after work for repair under extended warranty. Met the nice lady in the SUV who left-turned the bike into scrap metal making the stealer trip unnecessary.

#21 ·
Found three of the four levers loose ,slightly,when doing my 1000mi on my SGS. Removed added loctite tightened securely been good since. I have checked at each service. When I mentioned it to the tech at dealership he said that it was part of their fastener check during service. Good habit to check all bolts ,peace of mind.

#22 ·
I could be wrong, but there are several talking about checking torques and such. I believe the problem that was originally asked about is the shaft that goes into the tranny. Isn't it behind the the primary? And you can't get to it unless you pull everything apart.

#23 ·
no, there are the two on the heel toe shifter the front yoke on the front of the linkage shaft. on the rear of the shaft is the yoke on the shifter shaft coming out of the gear box. it's outside the gear box and behind the rear primary case. plenty of room to check torque on the bolt.

#24 · (Edited)
^^^This.

Use an Allen key socket with a wiggler (or u-joint) and an extension on your ratchet. Probably best to break it loose by backing off a half turn, then re-torque it down good and tight. If you just try to go tighter to begin with, friction will probably prevent you from breaking tension to tighten it up.

Reactions: Jimmers
#26 ·
Indeed replaced mine, crap ball joints. Touch oil at each joint once a month depending on weather.

#29 ·
Stopped in at my dealer yesterday and they brought up an interesting point.....they told me that HD made that portion of the linkage (the lever that sometimes strips out) out of a slightly "softer" metal so as to make it somewhat "sacrificial". Meaning, that IF an owner has a habit of pounding down on the heel shifter, then rather than doing any damage to the transmission itself that portion of the linkage will take the hit and eventually fail to save the transmission.

Several, at the dealership pointed out that many who use a heel shifter have a tendency to really stomp on it and thus eventually cause the striping of that portion.....while others have a much "lighter" heel and never experience a failure. However, they all suggested that it's probably a good idea to wrench it snug every once in awhile, just as a precaution. They also commented that HD makes the linkage a bit more complex than needed and should consider a re-design somewhere down the road.

#30 ·
Took the lame ass heal shifter off first day I got the bike and keep an eye on the tightness when doing a service.
Also never slam the gears.......No problems in over 50k miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.