Harley Davidson Forums banner

H-D Boom Box update 2.20.3 on website

21K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Snuskeeter 
#1 ·
I check the Harley-Davidson website every morning to see if they have any updates for the Boom Box and today they posted a new version.

Version 1.20.3 is now available. I haven't checked this out yet so I don't know of any bugs in the new update. Install at your own risk!

Jimmers

#2 ·
Just to recap, here are the change logs for both v1.20.2 and v1.20.3 (which primarily fixed the bug problems in v1.20.2), all of which should be included in this latest release. I know of a few folks who were asked to beta test the release and they generally reported good results. That said, we've not seen a clean upgrade release in a while (if ever), so be on the lookout for some undocumented "features".

Boom! Box 6.5GT
Date Released: 10/17/2016
Version: 1.20.2
Change Log:
Improvements
· Support for quarterly dealer database updates and database version screen.
· Switch to call screen when call initiated from phone.
· Headset sidetones added for CB.
· Prompt user to transfer active call to device at key off.
· Default zoom level set for Maneuvers.

Added Features
· Siri functionality has been added. Hold Voice Recognition button for 5 seconds to activate.
· Added media browsing over Bluetooth for iPhone.
· New feature to allow searching for another address while still having an active route.

Fixes
· Allow Nav and Dealer USB update prior to Navigation Loading.
· Post Code entry for HDI and ROW radios has been re-enabled.
· Media pause after fast forward.
· Activation code issue when USB drive is removed and reinserted.
· Navigation data fields no longer overlap next turn during recalculation.
· Japan radio shows Setup button twice.
· Weather map zoom level persistence.
· Passenger Intercom volume shows “off” when driver adjusts.
· Prevent import of Nav destinations with incomplete data.
· Media remains paused after multiple rapid prompts.
· Roadway icons overlap in traffic list.
· Improved indexing time for USB devices with large numbers of media files.
· Bluetooth connection persistence.
· Performance and stability enhancements.

Boom! Box 6.5GT CVO
Date Released: 01/17/2017
Version: 1.20.3
Change Log:
Fixes
• Radio stuck in OFF mode on start up in certain instances.
• Radio goes to OFF mode when is USB removed during start
up in certain instances.
• Various fixes for blank or frozen screen issues during
operation in certain instances.
• Various bug fixes.

#3 ·
Kind of off this particular topic, but it seems you guys have some knowledge of the situation.

Can one of you tell me why my system will jump from playing my xm radio station to music from my phone. Doesn't do it all the time, but once it starts, you may as well turn it all off. I will be listening to xm and it goes off and plays the music that is in my itunes on my phone. seems like it does it most of the time if i have my iphone plugged into the sync cable in the little glove box (CVO RGU). Haven't thought to bring it up to my dealer yet (why does it always screw up "after" you have been there instead of the ride to there???)

#4 ·
I really don't have a good answer for you. Perhaps an undocumented feature? What version of the Infotainment software are you running today?

I too have a CVO RGU (2015) and always ride with the sync cable attached. The only time I've experienced something like what you describe is just after start-up where it initially starts with XM (or whatever radio I was listening to prior to shutting down) and when the system finally recognizes the media (in my case, iPhone/iTunes), then it flips to the media, as if that is the system default. I don't recall a default audio setting in any of the Setup commands, but that would be the first thing I would recommend checking. I will be loading v1.20.3 this evening and plan on spending some quality time undergoing wind therapy on Friday. Between the two, I'll see if I can find any settings that may be causing your problem.

As for when problems happen, most can show themselves immediately before we pull into the dealer parking lot and they won't re-create for the Service Writer or Tech! That's why we wrench and/or diagnose ourselves!

#6 ·
The Dealer Location Update file is new as well, so I wanted to offer one additional point regarding loading, as it is slightly different than v1.20.2:

- Download from H-D site
- Unzip the zip file: Harley_POI_Maps
- Open the folder: Harley_POI_Maps
- Copy BOTH the nng folder and swdl disc image file to your USB drive (in v1.20.2 we used the navisync folder)
- Load into your Infortainment system the same as the system update

Hint: If your Infotainment screen gets stuck on "Authenticating", something has gone awry. Grab an(other) beer and start over. Good luck!

Reactions: Jimmers
#9 ·
Hmmm...Just updated my Boom Box this morning with the 1.20.3 update. All went well.

Then I went to install the Dealer Update and I loaded the iso file on the root of my clean usb stick. Turned on accessory, waited until I got a good Nav map and put usb stick in.

Now it just has "Authenticating" spinning and no progress. I let it spin for 15 minutes, but no luck, still spinning. I'm including pics...

Anyone ever see this problem?

Attachments

#10 ·
Jimmers, the two items in pic #2 are what should be copied to the root directory of your clean USB drive. There will be sub-folders in the nng folder that will copy when you copy/move that folder into the USB drive.

P.S. If you think THIS is fun, wait till you start updating your map files!

#13 ·
NaviExtras is frustrating, to say the least.

Best advice I have is to start fresh. Format the USB drive using FAT32 format, then re-download and copy over. Sometimes it is a matter of eliminating all evidence of previous attempts. If anyone has better advice, I'd love to learn from your experience.

#16 ·
Yes, I'm using a Mac. I've used it with all the updates and never had a problem until today.

That's a thought though. I have a PC too so I will format the usb drive on the PC and download it from the Harley site one more time. curious to see what happens.

Thanks for nudging me re: the Mac.

#17 ·
From what I can determine, the Dealer Location Update is developed by Naviextras since it is related to the maps. Naviextras indicates on their website that they are PC-based and Windows compatible, with no reference to Apple iOS compatibility. I have read similar statements on other Harley-related forums where they were troubleshooting the Dealer Location Update. Another reference that I found interesting was that you must let the Navigation system activate before connecting the USB drive when doing the Dealer Location Update or a map update (different than v1.20.x updates).

Bet you a beer the PC-version works if you follow all the steps discussed heretofor...and stand on one foot chugging a beer while the update takes place. Good luck!

#19 ·
Update: FIXED!!!

I've been working with NJMike (from this forum) on this problem! He asked if I was using a Mac and I said yes, but I have a PC and will see if that makes a difference.

When I fired up my old PC and put in the USB drive it showed all kinds of "hidden" files that were left each time I tried to use the USB drive. My mac didn't show any of these files.

I erased all files on my USB drive and reformatted it using the PC.

Steps I took to solve the problem:

1. Format the USB drive using the PC

2. Then I went to the H-D software download site and downloaded the Dealer zip file.

3. I moved the zip file to my USB drive root directory.

4. I unzipped the file and got one called "Harley_POI_maps" but it went to a sub directory on the USB drive

5. I opened this file and it unloaded two more files called "nng" an "swdl.iso" to yet another sub directory on the USB drive

6. I moved ALL the files from ALL sub directories to the ROOT directory of the USB drive

7. I removed the USB drive from the PC using the correct method ("safe to remove USB device")

8. On my motorcycle I set the ignition switch to ACC position and turned on the Boom Box.

9. I made sure the NAV screen was showing and waited for it to show MAPS

10. I inserted the USB drive into the USB port on the bike and it loaded perfectly!!! Not one problem!

Thanks Mike for your help in troubleshooting this issue. That's what this forum is for. Helping each other.

If anyone is having a problem with dealer updates please share and have them contact me if they need help.

#20 ·
I apologize and forgot to mention "Radar" was the one that mentioned the Mac and suggested I try a PC and beer. Everything went so smooth I could only down 2 beers though!!!

NJMike did help too though. Sorry Radar...gotta give credit where credit is due. Thank you!!

#23 ·
Inn the "For What It's Worth" Dept., I was advised this AM that there are some new updates available including new maps.....BUT, the previously free upgrades at the stealereships is now considered part of the revenue stream for the business and they are going to charge somewhere around $10+ for the previously free service.

#24 ·
I just went to and came back from the MOCO website. There are updates for the BOOM but they are only dealership locations and not for maps.

#25 ·
HELP can anyone send an image at what the USB should look like when ready to update dealer software.
I don't understand what this move all sub directories to ROOT directory is suppose to look like.
I had no problem updating to the 1.20.3 but can not get the dealer update to work. Even bought a new flashdrive. I even did the fingerprint for it. (Should I have?) and have nothing on it but the zip. for the dealer upgrade.

#26 ·
Found out what it means to move to ROOT Directory and everything downloaded correctly.

Now will wait till spring and download new maps for NA. Hopefully all will go smoothly without loosing any $$$. Going on vacation from NC to Alaska and figure newest maps would be worth it.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum and information given.

#28 ·
Thanks for the info on downloading the dealership update from a PC, would not work at all from the MAC....the other update as previous updates work great when downloaded from a MAC....had to go to a library to use a PC, me being quiet in a library is like a bull being quiet in a china shop....but mission accomplished, I now should be able to navigate to all stealerships within the great USA and be charged for them to install future stealership updates in the event I can't access a PC....why can't software makers get along...

I'm not sure if there are any map updates, but I know they charge a pretty good penny for those things on the NAVI website....remember when the worn out Atlas was the bomb...

#29 ·
I don't believe it's the Mac. Did you use "erase" on the mac to format the USB drive before downloading the Dealer Update from the H-D website?

I noticed several mac type files that are hidden when I was about to format my stick on the PC. I put the question to the Mac forum and was told to use the format command on the Mac to clear these hidden files. Hadn't tried it yet, but will the next time a Dealer update comes out. Like you...I have never had a problem until the Dealer update!

On a Mac make sure you empty your trash when you plug in your USB drive. Sometimes files are in trash that you deleted off the USB drive. Go to Finder/Applications/Disk Utility - Choose the name of the USB drive, use the MS-DOS - FAT type format, make sure your USB stick's name appears. Then click "Erase" and confirm. You're done!

Here's a link to the above procedure:

How To Format USB Stick or Flash Drive on Mac OSX

#30 ·
Hey Jimmers I will give that a try and take a look at the link...I am new to MAC, thought it would be good idea now that most of our products are Apple. Our PC was on its last leg and I killed it the other day, so now I am pretty limited to everything Apple...appreciate the info...

See MAC lives do matter!!!

Time to sit back and see what comes out of the wood work now :popcorn

#31 ·
Yep...I've been using Mac's for years! I was a die hard PC guy before that, but once I committed to a Mac I'll never go back. I'm still learning the deep ins and outs of the Mac though, just like the format trick. Mac's are very intuitive and virus' are almost non existent. Much easier to learn than the PC's out there and they come with tons of great software.

If I can ever help you with a Mac question PM me and I'll try to help. See ya down the road!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.