Harley Davidson Forums banner

Airflow on hand grips of 2016 Road Glide Ultra

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  NJMike 
#1 ·
I am thinking about trading in my 2014 Ultra Limited for a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. The batwing fairing on the UL keeps the air flow from hitting the hand grips. I have not ridden a RGU so I'm trying to find out if the sharknose fairing protects the handgrips the same way. It looks to me that it would not because the grips sit up higher and further back. If you look at the bike from the front it looks like the grips would sit right in the airflow.

I have an issue with my fingers and they get very cold so I want to keep the airflow away from them. The UL also has heated grips (plus I have all the heated gear from HD).

So if anyone has ridden the 2016 (Rushmore) Road Glide Ultra and can answer, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Mike

#5 ·
I recently moved from a 2014 Ultra Limited to a 2015 CVO RGU. I prefer the RGU. IMO, there is more airflow with the RGU than the Limited, much like what I enjoyed on my Road King Classic. The stock windshield on a RGU is not ideal, but can be addressed with aftermarket windshields. Rent an RGU for a weekend to get your perspective.

#10 · (Edited)
You will feel no airflow on the handgrips of the 2016 Road Glide Ultra.

I rode one on the factory tour last summer.

My favorite is still the Electro Glide. I like the looks of a fork mount fairing.

Form follows function. Frame mounted fairings are more stable in wind.

Sorry if cowboy offended, just a knee jerk reaction. Me, I ride everything I can for any reason.

Edit. Hold on, that was the 2017. Still, the answer is the same.

#12 ·
Glad you noticed. My point is you are asking for opinions on a question that is subjective and important to you.

You are riding a motorcycle, in the wind. Of course the wind will hit you. How much and where and what
it means to you can only be answered by you.

Given the chance to ride a motorcycle you are considering, well not riding it is just nuts.

Ride out to Kansas and I will buy you a beer. or coffee. any beverage of your choice.
I promise it will be windy.

#13 ·
If this is not too late, I would say that the air "WILL" hit your hands more on the RGU than a batwing bike. Now if you are talking staying with stock bars on the RGU, it may not be too bad, but I still would say you fell more air on the hands. You will also feel more air closer to you on the sides as well. I bought the CVO RGU this year. I've added 16" apes (so about the same as the bars I had on my last SG) and I feel way more air on my hands. The biggest problem I have noticed is how the cold air runs up the sleeves of my coat. BRRR!!!! It never did that on my SG.

#15 ·
Heated gloves are the sh!t

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.