Harley Davidson Forums banner

2016 Ultra Limited Coolant Leak

10K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  TPR021 
#1 ·
While in the garage the other day, I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the floor below the right side coolant tank housing (housing mounted to the engine guard). I could see that the coolant had leaked from somewhere below/around the coolant tank, but am not sure if it's a hose, clamp, crack in the tank, etc. I have just over 3,200 miles on the Ultra and everything was fine last fall before putting it up on the motorcycle floor jack for the winter (I live in Minnesota and don't have a heated garage). I know my bike is still under warranty and I don't have to worry about spending money out of my own pocket to fix this . . . I was just curious if anyone else has experienced a coolant leak, and if so, what the issue was. Always helps to have extra information for the service department when I take the bike in. The coolant level was just below the cold level check line.

Thank You in advance for any information you have for me.

#2 ·
Since you are still under warranty, I'd bring it back to the stealer and let them worry about it.

#3 ·
Believe it was very common on 14's.... 16's haven't heard much as this being a problem. Under warranty, let the dealer deal with it!

#4 ·
While in the garage the other day, I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the floor below the right side coolant tank housing (housing mounted to the engine guard). I could see that the coolant had leaked from somewhere below/around the coolant tank, but am not sure if it's a hose, clamp, crack in the tank, etc. I have just over 3,200 miles on the Ultra and everything was fine last fall before putting it up on the motorcycle floor jack for the winter (I live in Minnesota and don't have a heated garage). I know my bike is still under warranty and I don't have to worry about spending money out of my own pocket to fix this . . . I was just curious if anyone else has experienced a coolant leak, and if so, what the issue was. Always helps to have extra information for the service department when I take the bike in. The coolant level was just below the cold level check line.

Thank You in advance for any information you have for me.

Check on recall on the coolant tank .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Thank You everyone! I did check for a recall and there were none at this point. My plan is to take it to the dealership . . . I was just curious if anyone else had experienced the same problem with their motorcycle. Even though we still have snow on the ground, I want to be ready for that first ride again. I'll keep you posted when I find out more information.

Thanks,

David

#10 ·
See if someone has a trailer to get it in there now. Most shops are not as busy as they will be in 6-8 weeks when the snow melts and everybody starts looking for their helmets. Most shops have a sign hanging somewhere that says, 'We've been here all winter!"

#11 ·
If the bike is still in warranty the dealer will usually pick it up for free, give 'em a call to see what they say. I wouldn't wait for riding time to take the bike in. The dealers in the winter zones are slow now, warranty repairs are welcome this time of the year !

#12 ·
Interesting to me that everyone is telling you to let the dealer handle it after you already told the entire WORLD you will do just that. Fact is there have been numerous reports about this very same problem from day one since HD introduced this bike. That is why I have not bought one. I will buy one some day but GOOD GRIEF why aren't people telling you it has been a problem with some bikes, not all, from the very beginning? Puzzling is it not?

#13 ·
UPDATE:

In anticipation of warmer weather later this week/month (warmer weather to us in Minnesota means 50 degrees, short sleeves and tee-shirts), I fired up my Ultra Limited, let it run, and I did not have any coolant leaks. I will still bring it in to the dealership to have them look it over, but my guess is that in the cold weather (below zero) a hose clamp wasn't as tight (have had this happen with coolant hose clamps in cars too) and caused some coolant to leak. The 90 degree plastic elbow which clamps to two hoses is where I saw the drip. I ran the bike until the cooling fans kicked in, and the coolant hoses were hot and pressurized. I talked to a couple of mechanics at the dealership and they said they've seen this before and it's just one of those things . . . however they still want to look at it to make sure. I was told that 2014 models had troubles with leaks, but not the 2015 or 2016. In any case, I can not wait to get out on the road again - especially after going to the 2017 International Motorcycle Show in Minneapolis last weekend. It rained last night too, so that helped wash some of the winter road crud off the roads.

Thank You again everyone . . .

#14 ·
Worst case go rent a uhaul trailer and take it in or do you have towing on policy you could have it hauled that way too maybe. It's leaking Antifreeze you don't think its safe to Drive Insurance should Pay should pay. You Pay your Premium all year don't you well they should cover it all year to when you need a tow you need a tow. I''m sure the policy don't say specific time of the year you can use it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.