Harley Davidson Forums banner

New Harley owner with gripping question

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  merlin07 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to the site and Harley's. I've ridden for over twenty years, but this is my first HD. I traded in my 2009 BMW K1200LT for a 2013 Street Glide. I'm enjoying the bike a lot. It has stage one upgrade with V&H true duals, Power Commander V and Roland Sands air cleaner. PO installed 12" ape hangers and new braided lines. Outside of the normal complaint of being nearly impossible to find neutral while bike is running, I love it. Torque is fantastic and it sounds like a beast. I want to upgrade the grips, but I can't seem to figure out if I have fly by wire or push/pull throttle. I don't know enough about fly by wire to be able to tell. Thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome from Minnesota! I watched this video a couple weeks ago when upgrading the grips on my wife's 2016 Forty-Eight. Towards the end of the video, they show the throttle by wire grip replacement compared to the two throttle cables. Hope it helps. Congratulations on your new Harley-Davidson purchase.

#4 ·
Welcome to the Forum ., You might need to adjusts you clutch and it might help installing Synthetic gear lube or oil into your trans mission .I have a older bike and after adjusting the clutch basket and Free play at the lever and then changing the dino oil out for synthetic oil in it help a lot in finding neutral .You want to invest in A Harley Davidson Service manual it has a lot of your info in there or look for you tube videos to guide you through it

Welcome

#5 ·
Welcome from San Antonio. I had the same finding neutral problem and replaced the stock shift linkage with a heavy duty one and it helped a lot. Putting it in neutral while the bike is barely rolling forward also helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: big john@dog
#6 ·
Deleted.. wrong thread

#8 ·
Welcome from Baton Rouge! Changing grips on your 2013 SG is really easy--you won't even have time to finish your 1st beer. On Throttle By Wire (TBW) bikes, you just remove the screws for the switch housings to separate the upper and lower clamshells, loosen (but don't completely remove) the screws for the lever perches to allow the switch housings to move freely, and the grips slide right out of the housings and off the end of the bars. Only complication might be if the PO installed aftermarket grips and used cement on the left grip. When you put it back together, there are a couple of things to know. First, it's very important to carefully position the front brake so you don't damage the front brake light switch. There's also a locaror tab where the two assemblies mate to keep them indexed to each other. You can break that tab if you tighten down the housing screws with those tabs out of position. Once you look at it closely enough, it's not as complicated as it sounds in text. Go for it!

--

#9 ·
Welcome aboard from N. Arizona and Route 66. Yep Throttle by wire. And switch to all synthetics, as well as clutch adjust should do it. I came from a 2005 LT myself I lovingly called "the hippo" but amazing on the open road, aren't they? Harley is a totally different animal but to me, they look more like motorcycles should vs. the F-15 look of the beemer. Ride safe and enjoy!

#12 ·
Greetings from left coast. May try a lighter lube in Primary. Using Lucas 10-40 Motorcycle oil Semi Synthetic clutch compatible. Works great for clutch feel/engagement. Also helps release the clutch plates more fully, cutting back the 1st. gear clunk. Pull in clutch lever, rev her a bit, return to normal idle, engage, should slip right in. Once it warms up will work most times. As already mentioned do a proper clutch adjustment and should be fine locating neutral. Ride Safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.