Harley Davidson Forums banner

ultra or ultra low

5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Trebor57 
#1 ·
I'm just under 5' 8" and looking to upgrade from my 05 electra glide classic to a 2014 or newer. Should I look at the Low? Or do I just buy the ultra and maybe play with seat work and or shock changes

#2 ·
Man go test ride. Hit the dealer and test ride a couple. See what you think. Then maybe rent the model you think you like for a day.
No one else can tell you what is going to be comfortable to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I know a test ride is the best idea but Im in Michigan so I can't really test ride for a month or so. I have seen negative comments on the ride of the low and just wanted to hear from others. I have found a couple good buys on Lows and dont want to miss a chance. i don't know anyone riding a low so thats why I reached out today.

#15 ·
I haven't rode one so can't really say anything, but I've heard some people say they didn't like the ride. Not sure what about it they didn't like, but you could always go with some better after market shocks. You need to do that on any of them imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I'm 5'-8.5" and I bought a 2015 Ultra Limited Low and I'm very happy with it. However, having said that I found that the Low seat tended to push me farther forward than I felt was comfortable. So I bought a "standard" seat off someone who was upgrading from their stock standard Ultra and had no need for it and sold it for $100. As it turned out I really didn't need the Low to be as "low" as it was so by going with a standard seat (that raised me back up about 3/4") my Ultra Low is now perfect for me. Remember the Low also has a lowered suspension and slightly pulled back bars. Now mine is perfect for me and I have the stock low seat in my basement should I need to put it back on IF I ever decide to sell it to someone wanting a stock Low.

#17 ·
I'm 5'10" and was looking at the low. Then I tried the sundowner reach seat on the ultra. I now have the ultra with the sundowner seat and I love it. Gave me about an 1 1/2" more bend in the knee. It was cheaper to go the route I did. YMMV
Later, papanewt

#18 ·
I know you are right about test rides but I live in Michigan it will be a bit. I have found a couple good deals and don't want to miss out. I have seen a few posts about poor ride on the lows and don't know anyone that has one. So I thought I would reach out for advice. Thanks

#20 ·
Get the limited with the heated grips.......BEST thing ever put on a bike!:grin

Reactions: old dogg
#22 ·
JGrinz.........I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to when you say that you've heard some negative things about the ride of the "low" model. I know of none and from owning one for the past couple of years I can't report any ride issues. For years many owners of the standard EG have lowered the suspension to their own taste. Beginning in 15' (actually in 14.5') HD did much the same in the factory along with narrowing the primary cover, pulling back the bars and redesigning the seat and calling it the "LOW".

If anything the ride was greatly improved over a DIY or aftermarket lowering of the same. Yes, there is a bit less ground clearance if you lean DEEP into corners but let's face it the Ultra Limited or Classic aren't exactly "sport touring" models. All I can tell you, from my experience, is the ride of the "low" is excellent and it's lowered center of gravity adds to the comfort and handling. (the only change to my "low" was to change the low seat back to a standard seat so I wouldn't be pushed farther forward than I felt was comfortable.)

#23 ·
I recommend the RK..
but then again I'm kinda spoiled on mine..
But..
Maybe the ultra or ultra low.. really isn't the "ride" your looking for..or happy with..
But I believe test riding a variety of them should tell you what's right for you.. it's a "seat of the pants" feel..

Just saying..

#25 ·
I'm around 5'5" to 5'6" about a 30"inseam. I ride a 14 Limited without issues. I did install some rear 1" lowering brackets and always ride with riding boots. I've sat on a couple limited low bikes at the dealer and definitely did not like the forward position of the low seat. I also like having heated grips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.