Harley Davidson Forums banner

Road King Jiffy Stand Question

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Monzie 
#1 ·
I have an '09 FLHP (Police Road King) and a question regarding the jiffy stand.
This one has the cut-off so you can't put the bike in gear with the jiffy stand down.
The stand though, seems quite loose. When I make a sharp left turn I can hear it bouncing on the ground.
Will this need a new spring only or is there some other adjustment I will need to do?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Look at the spring, you'll be able to see if it's stretched or not. Also check the H-D website with your VIN to see if the kickstand recall included your bike.
Side note, anybody that buys a used Harley should register the bike VIN at the H-D website so they'll receive notices for their bike. The dealer's sales guys are supposed to do that but the sales guys are slackers and after they sell ya they forget ya.

Reactions: SoftailBilly
#4 ·
I'll check for recall info, and for the cost, will try the spring first and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll run it down to my wrench and have him give a look at it. Thanks guys.

#6 ·
Not too bad when it's on a jack. Position the lift arms so they don't interfere with the jiffy stand range of movement. Remove the the nut and lock tab from the top of the stand. That will allow you to rotate the foot of the stand forward toward the front of the bike. If you rotate it all the way around a bit past parallel to the frame rail, it allows you remove and install the spring with no load on it. Then you can use the leverage of the stand to rotate it back into position and reinstall the lock tab and nut on the top.

That stand is extremely strong. Hard to imagine it getting bent--and I think I might be a little concerned about hearing one up to bend it. If you don't really know what you're doing with a torch, you can weaken the work piece.

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Not too bad when it's on a jack. Position the lift arms so they don't interfere with the jiffy stand range of movement. Remove the the nut and lock tab from the top of the stand. That will allow you to rotate the foot of the stand forward toward the front of the bike. If you rotate it all the way around a bit past parallel to the frame rail, it allows you remove and install the spring with no load on it. Then you can use the leverage of the stand to rotate it back into position and reinstall the lock tab and nut on the top.

That stand is extremely strong. Hard to imagine it getting bent--and I think I might be a little concerned about hearing one up to bend it. If you don't really know what you're doing with a torch, you can weaken the work piece.

--

Thats what I thought too, but he's my mechanic at work and he straightens out a lot of stuff since my drivers can break an anvil. He was confident it was okay though.

#7 ·
it's easy.... support and secure the bike upright, remove the bolt (4), washers (8,9) and stop lock tab (22) at the top of the kick stand. Swing the kickstand forward, remove old spring and install the new one(21), swing the kickstand back to the riding position and replace the stop lock and hardware.

It might take 10 minutes to do if you have to look for a wrench.
A one beer job if you do it by yourself :drink, a six pack if you have help :cheers

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2009 Harley Davidson FLHR ROAD KING® (FB) | FRAME ASSEMBLY W/ JIFFY STAND Parts List

#9 ·
Lifted it with a lift at my buddies on Saturday. The spring was loose enough it was pretty easy getting it off. I really shoulda looked for a how-to on the replacement - I haven't gotten a book for it yet - it was a bear to force the new spring into place, but we managed. No more sketchy business from the jiffy stand.

#10 ·
A Road King will make a man out of you.

--

Reactions: Rhino
#12 ·
That spring is one of the first things to drag on a speed bump or something similar, especially when two up. That h is how mine became sloppy loose. Removing the lock tab and rotating the stand forward is THE way to change the spring. Others have bent the spring first one way and put a penny in the open space between coils, the the opposite direction and put a penny on that side, repeat as necessary. I didn't have enough pennies after buying a Harley to do it that way.

#13 ·
I found out how to do it properly after it was done. Like I said, I shoulda looked up on The YouTube how to do that before doing it, but it worked out in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.