Harley Davidson Forums banner

Mileage / Maintenance Question

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  glust 
#1 ·
Hello,

Although I am a frequent visitor to the forum I haven't posted much other than introduction. I find that using the search feature usually answers most of my questions. I have been riding metrics most of my life and I'm pretty "by-the-book" when it comes to servicing the bike. I bought my first Harley (2011 FLHTK) last fall and love it so far.

I am just curious as what I can expect for mileage and is there any specific maintenance issues I need to look for. I have the service manual and maintenance schedule so I can go by that but each bike has there own kwirks that only experienced owners know to look for.

As far as mileage, I ride occasionally to work but mainly ride with my group on Saturdays, 200-300 miles average plus longer overnight rides when I can get a kitchen pass. On my Honda's it was nothing to see over 100K without any worry. Is it the same for the Harley?

Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
A well maintained HD with a bit of good luck not having a major break down will easily go over 100K. Sounds as if you keep your bikes well maintained, so I would think you'll be just fine.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LateRider
#3 ·
I have a 2012 FLHTK with gutted stock header, CVO mufflers with Fullsac baffles, Screaming Eagle Ventilator air cleaner, and a Power Commander V tuner with a canned map. I get anywhere from 36 to 42 mpg depending how hard I'm riding. Probably average about 37-38. I could probably do a little better if I took it in and got it dyno tuned. Just haven't wanted to fork out the cash for that right now.

I have just over 30,000 miles with very few issues, knock on wood. Only real problems I have had were when water got in my radio and fried it while riding in a monsoon in Tennessee, and I stripped out the front shifter shaft twice. Now I keep a lot closer watch on the set screws so they stay tight and I try not to stomp on the shifter too forcefully.

#5 ·
I had a 2010 flhtk that I had for 4 years and put 37,000 miles on. Did all the maintenance myself and just followed the manual. I did put some V&H pipes, Ness big sucker and a tuner. The only problems I ever had was a broken wire on one of the O2 sensors and a couple of cut O-rings on the drain plugs (my fault). That bike gave me 40-45 MPG, mostly 2 up, and zero problems except one time riding on some backroad two-lane it died. Coasted to the side and tried to restart. Nothing. Crank but no start. Sat there for 5-10 minutes or so trying to figure out the next step and tried to start it again. Fired up like always and ran normal. Never did it again.

Traded it in for a 2014 flhtk and so far only have 20,000 miles on it. So far, knock on artificial simulated tight grained maple wood, not a single issue. Just do the maintenance and enjoy the crap out of it.

#9 ·
FWIW
I put 100k+ on my 83 Shovel w/4spd trans.
100k+ was before selling it after almost 13 years.

Unknown final mileage at it`s final demise. Likely due to zero upkeep by the new owner.

I did all regular maintenance. That was running fossil oil as well.

After about 3 years of basically stock, other then pipes and an S&S carb.
I went to a performance cam and Mikuni carb.
Put it through all sorts of different types of riding. At times rode it like I stole`ed it.

Did one valve job on it but it was out of the change over to unleaded. Not from necessity.

Mileage? Can not really give a fair comparison.
Then again. I got my bike(s) for fun and the love of riding. Unless the lack of MPG`s pointed to a very poor tune or mechanical problem..... Never even gave them a second thought unless it was to keep track of when to start looking for a gas station. :dunno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.