Harley Davidson Forums banner

slow turn over

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cdrprn 
#1 ·
Is there any way to test if the compression release is working on my 2013 stock RKC? She sure cranks slow especially when hot and the battery tests good. It's been this way since day one. Using syn3 in all three holes.

#4 ·
I'm trying to think of how you would use a compression tester for that. You would have to be really quick to see the release in action if you crank the motor over with the starter since you would be looking for a lack of pressure on the gauge until the CR closes. If my logic is right it tells me that the CR's must only work through one compression stroke before they close, so I think you would have to put air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Then you should hear air releasing until the CR closes. Does that sound right?

#5 ·
Well my battery tester must be no good because I bought a new battery and now the motor turns over great. The dealer told me that in these parts a battery only last about four years because its so hot and dry. I don't really know because this is my first HD. But I have always kept the bike on a battery tender. Maybe this battery will last longer. Whatever. Easy fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.