Harley Davidson Forums banner

Must have mods - Road Glide Custom CVO

114K views 510 replies 30 participants last post by  Cory 
#1 ·
Well you asked for it!

Since I traded the 2011 Road Glide Custom in Sedona Orange for a 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics, wanted to create a thread for mods and recommendations.

As soon as I get the bike (today or tomorrow I hope!) I will start posting photos and the mods moved over from the '11 bike and any future mods. Here are the details:

2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics

1. MSRP - The only discount I got was on the parts... the did not want to come down from MSRP (technically, they did but only by 380.00 to cover the difference on the discount I asked on the parts (they were giving me 20% and I asked for 50% discount on the parts).
2. 4.9% Financing for 48 months
3. Color-Matched Chopped Tour-Pak Luggage. Includes matching CVO™ Graphics, Premium Hinges and Retractable Tether. P/N 53000055DGC
4. Deluxe Chopped Tour-Pak Liner P/N 91783-96
5. Chopped Tour-Pak Backrest Pad – very difficult to find the right one, and as of this update I still think I am going to get the wrong pattern...will report back when it gets here
6. Lock and Keys P/N 53194-07 (keyed-to-match)
7. Color-Matched Saddlebag Spoilers with LEDs. - loved the looks on my previous bike, had to have them again.
8. Indoor/Outdoor Motorcycle Cover with Eagle Logo – 98715-85VC – turns out (I did not know) that the CVO comes with one. So I might have this available for sale later if I can't get them to exchange it for another part like the tour*pak spoiler...
9. Service Manual '12 Touring Models – P/N 99483-12
10. Service Manual Supplement '12 FLTRXSE Models– P/N 99525-12
11. Electrical Diagnostic Manual – P/N 99497-12
12. Men's Washed Skull Baseball Cap – 99480-10VM – why not!?

Keep in mind that I have all the parts that I will move over from my current ride. My current bike is ready to be taken to the dealer. I already removed all this:

GPS with the IronAccess mount
Mid-Frame Air Deflector 58002-09
Windshield Trim 58519-07A (not sure about this one... will see)
Deluxe Saddlebag Liners 91885-97A (bike comes with a set, these look like they already have a new owner from the forum here, lol )
Willie G. Skull Collection License Plate Mounting Hardware 94546-05
Jiffy Stand Extension 50233-00
Touring Suspension Air Pump 54630-03A
4-point Docking HW Kit Passenger BK Rest - 54205-09
Rear Docking HW Cover Kit - 48035-09
Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak Mounting Rack - 53276-09A
Comfort Profile Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit - 49179-09

And arriving any minute now:
Jackpot Ceramic Coated Headpipes

New bike (photos found on the web)

My previous bike as it sits now in the dealer...

See less See more
#467 ·
Wife was going to kick my ass if I left that mess on the floor... so I installed the speakers to the lids... and got rid of all the other empty boxes.

Speaker in lid, snap the back cover in place, four screws with T25 torx screws, drop rubber washers in the holes of the screws where the grill drops in, four more (shorter) T25 torx screws to hold the grill in place... done. Plug the wires into the speaker. Rinse and repeat.

The base for the amp goes next... moun the amp, it slides in place and has pins that insert into rubber grommets.

The two red strip is 3M double face tape (the gray version)... that is how it is installed in the saddlebag.

That is it for now... room now better organized without the mess on the floor... will continue this over the weekend.

Wrapped everything back into its packaging and only two boxes left with the lids and speakers installed... you can also see the passenger backrest done...

#469 ·
I cringe every time I have to put another hole in the saddlebags...

I know I said I was going to leave this for the weekend... well.. got a few things done today. So for the weekend I will leave the task of taking off the front fairing and hooking up to the radio and harness.

Cut the template and tape it... brace yourself and start drilling... for the rectangular hole I drilled holes in each corner and then I use a jigsaw to cut from one to the next... easy, just remember NOT to let the jigsaw touch the saddlebag, or cover with paper the saddlebag if you are, so that the vibration from the baseplate of the jigsaw does not scratch the bag.

Rinse and repeat

Also took the time to drill for the spoiler lids LEDs

#471 ·
Your not going to need the jiffy extension once you install the center stand. Never liked the slight rocking when on the jiffy stand. The center stand is solid footing AND the passenger can get on without the driver. That sold me...

Careful with the center stand dude.
Midde of July, exited ferry and bottomed out. Really hard
Center stand was fine, careful examination showed frame was cracked.
New frame arrived last week. Dealer finally started today migrating every bolt and nut to the new frame. Get her back in another week or so.

Sure blew this summer. No bike August 15 to sept 30.

#473 ·
Installed but pending the install of the harness from the back to the radio and then taking it to the dealer for the programming they have to do...

I did, however, connect the spoiler LEDs. Those are fully functional now.

#476 ·
#479 ·
Oh yea...your bike looks pretty sweet, wach. I like the blue, but I guess I'm partial to blue these days.

#482 ·
Hey! I have the same 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom purchased last year from my local dealer, except with the Pearl White/Starfire Black paint scheme. I, too, added the custom painted chopped tour pack, but also added mid frame air deflectors and gloss black saddlebag guards. Also swapped out the custom seat for a Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat for comfort. Switched to teh internal fairing mounted radio antenna too. I recently added the Contrast Cut Daymaker headlights and they are great.

#485 · (Edited)
Finally got around to ordering the Fullsac 2.0” CVO Muffler Cores. I need the bike to sound little bit better...

Also ordered the Custom Dynamics - Dynamic Ringz™ Driving Lights & Turn Signals - got these today so I will be installing them this afternoon!!

And I should have not taken Cory's bike for a ride... I hate my HD center stand!!

#487 ·
Any more pics or updates? I'm interested in seeing those lights.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
We took a ride Saturday with no particular route in mind. Spent 8 hours just crusing around places I have never been. Pretty cool.

Here is a photo of the bike with all the lights on.

and tonight I just finished installing the Fullsac 2" cores. Not too many photos as there are videos and excellent install instructions for these in many places. Very easy install.

#490 ·
I sat with a local dealer yesterday discussing a new CVO. I have been looking at it for about 2 months. Well, did the numbers and well, its off the list now! I wasn't so shocked with the 32,999, as I was with the trade in value of my 2011 RGC, 12,200. Plus, with all the fees (set up 1,695, freight 525, and other fees that reminded me of telephone bill fees, I came to the conclusion they really didn't want to sell it.

#500 ·
Dude! Need to be more open minded... nothing wrong with a water cooled Harley... those VRODs are awesome!! Wished I could park one next to the RGC... I have always had the hots for one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.