Harley Davidson Forums banner

Must have mods - Road Glide Custom CVO

114K views 510 replies 30 participants last post by  Cory 
#1 ·
Well you asked for it!

Since I traded the 2011 Road Glide Custom in Sedona Orange for a 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics, wanted to create a thread for mods and recommendations.

As soon as I get the bike (today or tomorrow I hope!) I will start posting photos and the mods moved over from the '11 bike and any future mods. Here are the details:

2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics

1. MSRP - The only discount I got was on the parts... the did not want to come down from MSRP (technically, they did but only by 380.00 to cover the difference on the discount I asked on the parts (they were giving me 20% and I asked for 50% discount on the parts).
2. 4.9% Financing for 48 months
3. Color-Matched Chopped Tour-Pak Luggage. Includes matching CVO™ Graphics, Premium Hinges and Retractable Tether. P/N 53000055DGC
4. Deluxe Chopped Tour-Pak Liner P/N 91783-96
5. Chopped Tour-Pak Backrest Pad – very difficult to find the right one, and as of this update I still think I am going to get the wrong pattern...will report back when it gets here
6. Lock and Keys P/N 53194-07 (keyed-to-match)
7. Color-Matched Saddlebag Spoilers with LEDs. - loved the looks on my previous bike, had to have them again.
8. Indoor/Outdoor Motorcycle Cover with Eagle Logo – 98715-85VC – turns out (I did not know) that the CVO comes with one. So I might have this available for sale later if I can't get them to exchange it for another part like the tour*pak spoiler...
9. Service Manual '12 Touring Models – P/N 99483-12
10. Service Manual Supplement '12 FLTRXSE Models– P/N 99525-12
11. Electrical Diagnostic Manual – P/N 99497-12
12. Men's Washed Skull Baseball Cap – 99480-10VM – why not!?

Keep in mind that I have all the parts that I will move over from my current ride. My current bike is ready to be taken to the dealer. I already removed all this:

GPS with the IronAccess mount
Mid-Frame Air Deflector 58002-09
Windshield Trim 58519-07A (not sure about this one... will see)
Deluxe Saddlebag Liners 91885-97A (bike comes with a set, these look like they already have a new owner from the forum here, lol )
Willie G. Skull Collection License Plate Mounting Hardware 94546-05
Jiffy Stand Extension 50233-00
Touring Suspension Air Pump 54630-03A
4-point Docking HW Kit Passenger BK Rest - 54205-09
Rear Docking HW Cover Kit - 48035-09
Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak Mounting Rack - 53276-09A
Comfort Profile Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit - 49179-09

And arriving any minute now:
Jackpot Ceramic Coated Headpipes

New bike (photos found on the web)

My previous bike as it sits now in the dealer...

See less See more
#48 ·
Your not going to need the jiffy extension once you install the center stand. Never liked the slight rocking when on the jiffy stand. The center stand is solid footing AND the passenger can get on without the driver. That sold me...

I would have done pictures on the CVO exhaust but it was late at night, and it was sooo easy to swap them out. Took about 20 minutes. I'll take pictures when the black/chrome tips are installed..

#59 ·
that is one sweet looking bike...and I am not normally partial to blue... the only thing I like a bit better on mine is the tank, other than that...perfect. I am envious of you and Cory and redman for your riding season. Up here in NW Washington the ride to work in the morning is now in the low 40's with one being in the 30's already.

werff

#61 ·
And here I am worried about falling out due to the heat. Haven't done snow on a bike. Not sure I want to either. Going to be spending allot of time in Calgary soon. Maybe I need to bring my leathers or thermal crouch-ware and do a rental.

Did get caught in some wild wet storms coming off the Rockies in between Colorado Springs and Denver. Pretty hairy. 45+ mph winds, sideways rain and no where to pull off.

#62 ·
And here I am worried about falling out due to the heat. Haven't done snow on a bike. Not sure I want to either. Going to be spending allot of time in Calgary soon. Maybe I need to bring my leathers or thermal crouch-ware and do a rental.

Did get caught in some wild wet storms coming off the Rockies in between Colorado Springs and Denver. Pretty hairy. 45+ mph winds, sideways rain and no where to pull off.

#63 ·
Redman,
I see that you are close to Houston. I am in the oil Industry and know there is opportunity there. The only thing that trips me up is the humidity. I was there once in August and became a whimpering pool of mush. But other than that I had a blast.

werff

#70 ·
To be honest, can't tell much of a difference from the 103 I had, but I was taking it easy the first few hundred miles. Smooth pickup, nicer sound coming out of the pipes (can't wait to hear them when I swap headpipes to determine if I do the Fullsac 2" inserts), could not say much about the heat as I was never in heavy traffic so temps were good.

Now that I have 550 miles on it, going to do an oil change and the FuelMoto map with the PowerVision. :know

#67 ·
Changed out the stock 3 1/2" mufflers on the 11 RG last week to the CVO 4" Screamin Eagles. A much different drive experience.

Although the only real sound change is a deeper growl throughout the gears, it seems the high end RPM's is lower at cruising range.

Yesterday I did a little over 400 miles from the Cape area up to Old Orchard Beach Maine, then up to Bangor, Maine and back. (seeing slight changes in the leaves)

Cruising at 80 I noticed the RPM's was at about 2,800. Normally I see this RPM around 72. and it still is quiet, just a different sound. I was hoping for something a little louder, not because I care for 'loud' but it does let folks know there is a motorcycle in the area.

I also read on the forum here somewhere, that the ideal cruising RPM range is 2,500 - 2,800? Is that right?
I use the 3,000 mark as the up shift time and 65 MPH as the downshift to 5th.

Does this sound right?

#68 ·
#71 ·
Marion,

I was reading in the manual about downshifting. Now you can take it for what its worth, but it says from 6th to 5th is 50mph - 5th to 4th is 40 mph and so forth and second to first being 10mph. It says the reason for this is "when the speed is too high it can cause the rear wheel to lose traction".

werff

#72 ·
Thanks Werff, I hate to think I'm lugging it. Good point on loosing traction. I got to work on that. I've put on about 4K miles, and it seems like it is breaking in as the miles climb.

I tried testing the ABS a couple of times in a safe area. Man, that bike can come to a full stop in no time when I jump on the brakes hard. And knowing it won't slide out from under me helps with the hard braking.

#74 ·
I found the MotoLights benefit being more during the day. They really catch people's attention during daylight hours, they are that bright. At night, because they are lower fork mounted, you get the 'reach' lower to the ground(helps when there if fog) and helps you see road hazards better.
Another windshield, new PIAA lights? Just makin your way to the $3k mark faster than I thought!

How about an inexpensive add on? At the auto parts store you can get LED strip lights that run on 12 volt.. Using the wiring of the saddlebag spoiler lights, you can tap into that wiring and have saddlebag lights inside. Helps at night when you are fishing around for stuff.. And it's only about $30. You could get fancy and put them on a separate switch or just wire them in.. They lay flat against the side so they don't get in the way..

Just a thought....

#75 ·
How about an inexpensive add on? At the auto parts store you can get LED strip lights that run on 12 volt.. Using the wiring of the saddlebag spoiler lights, you can tap into that wiring and have saddlebag lights inside. Helps at night when you are fishing around for stuff.. And it's only about $30. You could get fancy and put them on a separate switch or just wire them in.. They lay flat against the side so they don't get in the way..

Just a thought....
Great idea :thumbsup thank you!

#78 ·
Once I am settled in Orlando, I'll be dropping about 5k into the bike. Motor mods, wheel set and body work.

Last night I was heading home and I never remembered this hump in the road, but I was going faster usual and on the gas....hit the hump and caught air. I'm gonna have to set up the GoPro and see if I can hit it :laughagain during the day.

#80 ·
Also, a few items from the deal came in:

Special nuts to be able to install the mid-frame covers - Part No. 8194
Tour*Pak Pad - 52898-98A
Tour*Pak Liner - Part No. 91783-96
Indoor/Outdoor Cover - 98715-85VC
Workshop/Service Manual - 99483-12
Electrical Diagnostic Manual - 99497-12
CVO Service Manual Supplement - 99525-12
Willie G. Skull baseball cap :D

#86 ·
Installed the floorboard extensions from HarleyGoodies (Discount Page). In this case I ordered the chrome ones instead of black.

Don't look at the dirt... wash and wax is on the to-do list...

Finito!

#89 · (Edited)
This is the setup for your CVO Wach.....cha-ching cha-ching...
Fuel Moto Harley Wood TW-7H Cams 110 CVO Jackpot Mufflers - YouTube

Just headpipe man, just headpipe...even if the main reason to do them is for getting rid of the cat and the heat, that should increase the sound just a little... maybe I am happy with that. If not, because I like the looks of the stock pipes, I will do the Fullsac 2" inserts, maybe!

On another note... that paint on the sides that I thought it was black is actually blue...but it takes some serious light to show it.

Candy Cobalt is the lighter blue, Twilight Blue is what all this time I thought was black... pretty cool

Done:

Battery charger harness
4-point Docking HW Kit Passenger BK Rest - 54205-09
Rear Docking HW Cover Kit - 48035-09
Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak Mounting Rack - 53276-09A
Cheap*Pak (using while the matching Chopped*Pak gets here...
Comfort Profile Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit - 49179-09
Antenna relocation mounting kit - 76557-09 Not used on the CVO install
Saddlebag Supports - 49194-09A
Saddlebag Supports - 90781-09A
Lock nut (2 needed) - 7531
Brukus Saddlebags Security Screws - Saddlebag Secure
Brukus Fender Seat Security Screw
Willie G. Skull Collection License Plate Mounting Hardware 94546-05
Jiffy Stand Extension 50233-00
Harleygoodies Floorboard extensions (yeah... forgot to remove from the other bike) went with the chrome ones
Mid-Frame Air Deflector 58002-09
Garmin Zumo 550 installed with permanent power hook up on an Iron Aces Speed Shop Road Glide iPhone/GPS Mount

Pending install:

Dynojet Power Vision (doubles as a code reader). Well... turns out I am SOL with this one, since it was already married to the '11 bike I can't use it for my new bike... that sucks! But I understand the software practices around this. Dynojet is supposed to come out with a firmware update that will allow me to add one more VIN to the PV... 200.00 option.

Ordered:

Jackpot Ceramic Coated Headpipes (only exhaust mod planned...just want to get rid of the heat) - These are not expected to arrive until end of the month (September)
Color-Matched Chopped Tour-Pak Luggage. Includes matching CVO™ Graphics, Premium Hinges and Retractable Tether
Color-Matched Saddlebag Spoilers with LEDs

Chrome Center Stand - 91573-09A - $276.00
Adjustable Highway Peg Mounting Kit - Short Angled - 50830-07A $85.75
Highway Peg - <50351-03, 509122-72, 51453-09, 51459-09, 94409-03, 11304, 45041-01A - $124.76
Color-Matched Vented Fairing Lower Kit in Twilight Blue - 58854-12DLM - $684.00
Parts Catalog - 99431-12 - $34.80
Paint Touch Up Kit - 94560 - $37.38

Pending:

Lights (can't have enough light!)
CustomDynamics Plasma Rods $119.95
CustomDynamics LED Turn Signals Front $69.95
MotoLights with Caliper Mount - in black finish - $$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.