Harley Davidson Forums banner

Must have mods - Road Glide Custom CVO

114K views 510 replies 30 participants last post by  Cory 
#1 ·
Well you asked for it!

Since I traded the 2011 Road Glide Custom in Sedona Orange for a 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics, wanted to create a thread for mods and recommendations.

As soon as I get the bike (today or tomorrow I hope!) I will start posting photos and the mods moved over from the '11 bike and any future mods. Here are the details:

2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics

1. MSRP - The only discount I got was on the parts... the did not want to come down from MSRP (technically, they did but only by 380.00 to cover the difference on the discount I asked on the parts (they were giving me 20% and I asked for 50% discount on the parts).
2. 4.9% Financing for 48 months
3. Color-Matched Chopped Tour-Pak Luggage. Includes matching CVO™ Graphics, Premium Hinges and Retractable Tether. P/N 53000055DGC
4. Deluxe Chopped Tour-Pak Liner P/N 91783-96
5. Chopped Tour-Pak Backrest Pad – very difficult to find the right one, and as of this update I still think I am going to get the wrong pattern...will report back when it gets here
6. Lock and Keys P/N 53194-07 (keyed-to-match)
7. Color-Matched Saddlebag Spoilers with LEDs. - loved the looks on my previous bike, had to have them again.
8. Indoor/Outdoor Motorcycle Cover with Eagle Logo – 98715-85VC – turns out (I did not know) that the CVO comes with one. So I might have this available for sale later if I can't get them to exchange it for another part like the tour*pak spoiler...
9. Service Manual '12 Touring Models – P/N 99483-12
10. Service Manual Supplement '12 FLTRXSE Models– P/N 99525-12
11. Electrical Diagnostic Manual – P/N 99497-12
12. Men's Washed Skull Baseball Cap – 99480-10VM – why not!?

Keep in mind that I have all the parts that I will move over from my current ride. My current bike is ready to be taken to the dealer. I already removed all this:

GPS with the IronAccess mount
Mid-Frame Air Deflector 58002-09
Windshield Trim 58519-07A (not sure about this one... will see)
Deluxe Saddlebag Liners 91885-97A (bike comes with a set, these look like they already have a new owner from the forum here, lol )
Willie G. Skull Collection License Plate Mounting Hardware 94546-05
Jiffy Stand Extension 50233-00
Touring Suspension Air Pump 54630-03A
4-point Docking HW Kit Passenger BK Rest - 54205-09
Rear Docking HW Cover Kit - 48035-09
Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak Mounting Rack - 53276-09A
Comfort Profile Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit - 49179-09

And arriving any minute now:
Jackpot Ceramic Coated Headpipes

New bike (photos found on the web)

My previous bike as it sits now in the dealer...

See less See more
#91 · (Edited)
Shift linkage installed. The one in the bike I moved to my wife's Deluxe...

Also, the splitter for the antenna arrived, as soon as the bulbs get here I will remove the front fairing and install the power to the GPS, PIAA bulbs, and Powered Antenna... and hope I don't have to remove the fairing ever again! :nod

#92 ·
Shift linkage installed. The one in the bike I moved to my wife's Deluxe...

Also, the splitter for the antenna arrived, as soon as the bulbs get here I will remove the front fairing and install the power to the GPS, PIAA bulbs, and Powered Antenna... and hope I don't have to remove the fairing ever again! :nod
Antenna splitter? I'm thinking the wallet opened up again!:nod:nod:nod

You liking the look of that HD air deflector?

#94 ·
If you like the look thats fine, and I understand the function is important, but (to me, my opinion only) its like putting Jeep mud flaps on a Porsche. Sure they will keep the mud off, but there is something lost in the look.

I put these on.

style and function. It gives a nice visual transition between the tank, frame, and seat. After all, you are not dealing with a Honda CB350 there, buying the CVO makes a statement....style is important as well as function.

Just my humble viewpoint.

#100 ·
Center Stand installed...

HD Part Number 91573-09A

Parts in box:

Slide threaded plates in place... long one in back, small one in front. Best to have the bike leveled with a jack to avoid these plates from sliding out of place while you install the bolts...

Back plate

Front small plate

Red loctite on all bolts and lock it down!

Finished product... I still need to decide if I want it with wheel in the air or not and then adjust the foot...

#103 ·
+1 on the left side pic with stand up. I want to see how it combines with the jif stand. Great install pics as usual! Thanks.
I am alone and can't take photos of both Jiffy and Center stand up... one try was enought to scare me dropping this thing to one side... and if I try to do it with the jack it gets in the way of the Jiffy stand... anyway, hope these help. I will take more when I have helper near by.

#105 ·
Installed PIAA Bulbs, Antenna Splitter, Powered Antenna and also did the GPS Wiring.

You can see the internal powered antenna on the top of the radio...

Also took the time today to do the wiring for the GPS... Lowered the base of the GPS to allow better visibility to the song's name and the clock.

The lights are now white! No HIDs but good enough for now...

#107 ·
so Wach....whats the deal? This is the first time I have ever seen this thread or your other must have mods on the second page....Nothing from you since the 21st??...Come on man give us some info. I know that Marion is wondering how many $$$'s your up to by now.

werff

#110 ·
At this point the only changes pending are just a few and the parts will take at least two more weeks to get here. We are talking about Chopped Tour Pak, Saddlebag spoilers and lowers.

A few things arrived yesterday - highway pegs setup. Also sent a note to FuelMoto to check on the ceramic coated headpipe... l placed the order July 28 for those and they are supposed to arrive any day now...can't believe it has been two months already :eek The wait was due to the ceramic coating, they would have been here the same week ordered if I had gone the non-coated route.

On another note, forgot to read the fine print on the center stand. It is touching the exhaust, the pipe that crosses over to the left muffler.

Just a few comments on the center stand, if in the garage, with the tiles, there is no frigging way that I can put the stand while sitting on the bike... I just can't do it. Very difficult to get my boot in there, and darn thing slips as I try to push it back... plus 5'7" does not help to push this 800lbs gorilla back!

Anyway, I need to extend the two plates out to avoid the stand touching the exhaust (the one touching is the left side, if sitting on bike).

As to raising the bike on the center stand, I will need to practice doing so from the side of the bike... we will see how that goes. I have mixed feelings on this one...:bluduh

#112 ·
:cussing now you tell me.... :cussing

Marion recommended I get a center stand, I defaulted to the HD solution instead of looking at the EX-Up Stand...or even asking which one he got, he did not go with HD... :bluduh

I am not getting rid of it... got to make it work now that I spent the cash on it...

#115 ·
I have the EZ-stand.
When you posted the pictures wach, I thought the stand lever seemed to close to the bike.
It does take getting use to, absolutely, but once you get it, its great.

It shouldn't take much pulling back on your part. The key is to 1) put your foot on it, 2) stand up on it, putting your weight on the pressing down of the foot lever. It should roll right back. I thought I needed to pull back at first but the vendor showed me the right way. Its all about putting your weight on it.
3) make sure its in neutral when you do it. In gear won't allow it to move back and up. Or pull the clutch in, then put your weight on the foot lever. It does take getting use to.

Just back from AZ, great riding around the Salt River Canyon....2 RG Customs, 1 RG Ultra(my rental) and 1 BMW
[URL=http://www.use.com/cc253c18662a809002ce][/URL]

#116 ·
Looks like you guys had fun! :thumbsup

Once the traveling stops I will work on getting used to the center stand.

On another note: Highway pegs arrived, along with touch up kit and CVO parts catalog...

CVO Pegs come completely disassembled...

#117 ·
Now installed:

I was pretty much set on the MotoLigts but came across these the other day:

Headwinds FLT Spotlight & Turn Signal Kit.

Here is the part number for the lights. #2-2434-21M-11ZA

Need to look at the specs to compare lumens...

#122 ·
I kept looking in the website... they have just the spot lights that can be mounted to the fork leg... I can keep my turn signals stock and just get the 2" spot lights. That brings the price down considerably.

If I do a price breakdown, the spot lights chrome are 179.00 and black milled is 219.00. The fork mounted chrome setup they sell is 329.00. That is around 150.00 for the fork brackets... question is, can I make a set of brackets for a lot less and save me the 150.00?

#124 ·
work on it. I was a little frustrated when I first got the center stand. Now that I figured out the way that works for me, its great. Remember, your not pulling, just putting your weight down on the foot lever, it should just come right back. Got to have it in neutral though.

It should just roll off when you let out the clutch. Remember, the wheels remain just touching the ground, with your weight, makes it so you can roll off.

#127 ·
that is way to high off the ground with the center stand down. No wonder you are having a hard time. Thats way, you have to push it off the stand. You should be able to let the clutch out in first and it should roll off the stand. Both wheels should be touching, but with the weight off them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.