Harley Davidson Forums banner

Highest mileage without major work

47K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  SoftailBilly 
#1 ·
I have a question what is the most miles put on a Harley motor before major work would be needed
Just wonderin
Mike

#3 ·
I know Devildogbagger was up to 58 or 59K before his compensator sprocket went, and he developed a front cylinder ticking, that he ended up replacing tappets and front rocker arm bushings....

#4 ·
My '95 went 80k before I did a top end. It didn't really need it but I was trying to stop the oil-in-the-aircleaner problem.

#5 ·
Your pic shows an 03 deuce. I would look at the cam chain tensioner shoes occasionally after 25,000 miles. Other than that, ride it till it starts smokin, loses power or making bad engine noises. I expect to get 100,000 out of mine before having to freshen up the top end, but I ride hard, make a lot of short trips and drag race occasionally.

#12 ·
I sold my 94 Heritage with 106K miles on it. HAD to replace the lifters as one of them fell apart at 60K (replaced cam too), replaced rocker cover gaskets due to leaking.

original clutch, primary chain, rear belt......

Hope to get more than that from my 2010 Ultra

Royce in NH

#13 ·
50,000 and the cam bearing went out while i was a long way from home. Had to shut it down and towed home. Upon 1st inspection the cam fell out and the engine was toast.
I got new HD cases with original vin and put in the S&S 96" Hot Set Up kit...
been a happy camper ever since...

#14 ·
Aside from replacing the cam bearing(before it failed) , 1 rear belt and normal maintenance , a friend of mine bought a '98 Electra-Glide standard brand new , and a few years ago , he hit 100,000mi. And he didn't exactly baby it.

#19 ·
StBobber, why are you so baggerphobic? Did your mommy run off with a guy on a bagger or something?

You're like a broken friggin' record.

#26 ·
Craiger, that's his bike? Really? A redheaded woodpecker?

Blahahahahahahahahahaha. That things a joke on wheels!!!!!! The brass knucks and little skull peaking out, and he was on about bagger guys having the latest "must have". Blahahahahahahaha. Your real name isn't Brandon, is it? That's the name of the clown on the sportster site that hacked up his 1200N into an unfit abortion. Your bike looks a lot like that. From now on anytime I see you post about baggers I'll post a picture of that turd.

Back on topic, my bike has 69,000 miles on it now. It had 42K when I got it 3 years ago. I did change the lifters and cam bearings when I put the cam in it at 44K.

#28 ·
The real issues are how your bike is modified, how you ride it, and how often you service it. With few modifications, gentle riding, and regular servicing, it should last at LEAST 100,000 miles without any major work. I tend to do all three – ride reasonably (no burn outs, have reasonable starts, and have gentle stops), have only had a Stage I upgrade and exhaust work modifications on my ’13 Ultra, and have the bike professionally serviced with a prepaid service plan. So far I’m at 27,000 miles with no issues except routine maintenance. Brakes were replaced for the first time at 20,000 miles and the front tire replaced for the first time just this week at 27,000 miles. I rode my last Ultra 69,000 miles in three years under the same care with no issues, until it was hit by a car and totaled. My current 2013 Ultra I purchased in late 2015 with 2,000 miles on it, and put another 25,000 miles on it 15 months. The again, I drive and maintain my car the same way, and put 104,000 miles on my 2002 Mercedes 240 C before I had to even change the tires. Brakes were changed at 160,000 miles for the first time, along with the transmission fluid. So the bottom line is if you take care of the bike, it takes care of you. I have no qualms with jumping on my bike and spontaneously riding 1,500 miles on a weekend and have done it several times. I know many people in this forum look down on professional maintenance, but as a surgeon I don’t have the time to work on the bike. I also commute very day on my bike, even in winter. I’d rather be riding it long distances when I have time off instead of working on it, and have ridden through about half the states on two wheels. As a person who rides about 24-25k miles/year, with a one-time fee lifetime maintenance plan, the shop loses a LOT of money on me with my tune-ups. I think they truly hate me at this point. On the other hand, I have friends with Hogs who regularly do burn outs, take every turn like the devil himself is after them, come to screeching halts every other stop, and have modified their engines so heavily that the torque and horsepower are bumped by at least 30%. Their bikes spend a LOT of time in the shop with expensive modifications and rebuilds. I prefer to treat the bike nicely so I can ride as long and as far as I want without worrying about breakdowns or rebuilds. I think you will have the same experience. I hope that answers your question.

#33 ·
my 2010 Ultra

My 2010 Ultra has 80,400 miles and a piece from the compensating sprocket broke off, damaging the chain, tensioner and clutch basket. When this happened (3 weeks ago) I had one week left on my extended warranty. :grin

At 79,000 miles the gear in the oil pump cracked and the pump, cams, support plate and lifters were replaced.

#34 ·
My 2010 Ultra has 80,400 miles and a piece from the compensating sprocket broke off, damaging the chain, tensioner and clutch basket. When this happened (3 weeks ago) I had one week left on my extended warranty. :grin

At 79,000 miles the gear in the oil pump cracked and the pump, cams, support plate and lifters were replaced.

Good timing!:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.