Harley Davidson Forums banner

2012 Street Glide "break in"

12K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  RDK09 
#1 ·
I have never had a brand new bike and have never worried about the "break in" period. I am doing some research for a friend that just WON a 2012 SG. He is wanting to know what this "break in" period is and what do the driving conditions consist of. (Slow, fast, etc) The reason I ask is we are going to Bike Week at Myrtle Beach this week and he is concerned stop and go riding at the beach will not be good for the bike this early in the life of the bike. (Approx. 200 miles on bike) Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#6 ·
First off congrats to ur buddys win, my OL won a 48 last october!! As jeff mentioned......Secondly, have him read his owners manual, info on this subject is in it! 1,000 miles is the break in period. Don't lug the motor and don't rev too high either. On the highway don't ride at a constant speed for a long period of time, alternate speeds

#7 ·
RDKing has it perfectly from the Owner's manual. Also, remember to check your oil and other levels often including the tire pressure. Get yourself a Service Manual as well.

Learn your systems checks and maintenance schedule.

Checking the tire pressure saved me alot of heart ache, but it took a while to find out that my front tire stem was bad and was slowly leaking.

Also, listen to the bike. Almost all issues start with a sound or a vibration.

#11 ·
i don't know if anybody else has done this, but in my handful of experiences with break-in periods i have rode the bikes normally as i would any other day, the wide open crap and have never had anything go wrong with the motors in any of the bikes. but thats just my :2cents. Now for warranty purposes, i would say do what the moco says to do.

#12 ·
Every moving part on a new bike establishes its 'mark' on the piece with which it mates. Hi revs create heat, expanding metal parts, and can cause scoring instead of a nice, finely mated surface that will occur with gentle break-in.

Same in a marriage; you can try to chip the rough edges off one another with knock down, drag-out fights, or smooth them over gently, gradually, lovingly, over time.

#14 ·
I hit redline on mine straight out the dealers lot in all 6 gears. I never had a problem with mine. When the mech put it together he did a test ride and did the same thing.

#15 ·
If you treat your bike bad ???

You'll go broke replacing it !! Treat it like it's a baby for the 1st 1,000 then keep it below 4,000 till 4,000 miles then drive it like your going to drive it . It takes about 12,000 miles to get really loose ! my thoughts Bud

#16 ·
The first 500 are definately the most important. My tuner wanted 500 on mine before he would dyno tune. As the other guys have said, varied throttle is the key. If it's all interestate, the ride down there will be the toughest. Don't run it with the cruise on and vary the speeds as much as possible without going to the high revs.

#18 · (Edited)
Harley says ride it easy because they don't care if your down 5 or 10% on horsepower. Your rings are done breaking in after the first 50 miles or so, no more hatch marks. It takes running the motor hard to create pressure ,explosion when the cylinder fires, to expand the ring against the cylinder hatch marks and file them down to fit the cylinder exact. Run it hard your ring will seat better and make more power. Defiantly you want to vary speed, wide open throttle then hard off the throttle. Up and down for the first 50.
I've built allot of motor's and have never machined something so tight that it has to finish machining itself.
If something isn't rite Id rather find it early, under warranty, then later after the warranty expires???

#19 ·
I have broken-in many engines over the years. From single cyl kohlers on a Wheel Horse ['60s] to [since then] 4,6, & 8 gas or diesel, and all kinds of heavy equipment. Same rule applies to all. Run'em easy and vary throttle for the first 500-1000miles or about 25-50 hours. This allows rings, seals and gaskets a chance to "seat" with mating parts [as mentioned by others]
Also gives YOU a chance to explore the response from a new or new-to-you machine and become attuned to new sounds or vibrations which may or may not need further attention.
Check fluids and pressures often, also for loosening bolts,screws, clips, etc. [they are built and serviced by PEOPLE and we ALL miss things and make mistakes [eventually]
Enjoy it and RIDE !! :USA

-----------------------------------------
you always have two choices.... get along , or get along

#21 ·
The manual has some great points, but in all honesty, I was always told to break in a little hard if your going to ride it hard. Got to seat the gaskets and teach it how to perform. My bike really performs like a champ and is performing better than I had hopes at 5,500 miles.
By the way, I did the same thing with my wife. Still performing like a champ as well.

#22 ·
I have heard the "break it in fast, it stays fast" routine and figured it was a crock. Why not follow the directions for the first 1000 miles and then it will loosen up at a rate proportional to how it is treated. It has already been mentioned about overheating some of the parts can permanently scar surfaces, deform parts, stretch gaskets and seals. With 2 years and UNLIMITED MILES warranty, what is the hurry to break something?

This is a street machine which will hopefully deliver at least 100,000 miles of dependable service, it isn't a race machine that only needs to hold together for a race or two and will then be rebuilt, but if you want those sort of hassles, have at it.

#24 ·
I go by what the manual says for the first 1k miles. Vary speed and don't lug the motor. No problems with my last 5 bikes.

#26 ·
I agree!

I notice my transmission was very tight the first 1500 miles and it was hard to find neutral . I have 3900 on my 2012 SG and neutral is a lot easier to find. I've notice when down shifting to first, a light tap and I'm in neutral on a roll. I rest my clutch hand at stop lights. When the light changes to green I put the bike into first gear with a clunk which is normal for a Harley.

I love the sound, feel, handling & power of my SG. Harley Davidsons motorcycles have there own character .
:thumbsup

#25 ·
:cowdungThis is some good stuff, seating gaskets?, loosening up? and the best "teach it how to perform"??? I guess it's whatever works for you, it's your money and your bike so do what works for you.
If you wanna seat your gaskets, Have at it! But don't loosen it up too much, you'll wear it out! And when you teach it do you have to pull over or can you scream at it going down the road? LoL
Just ride it, have FUN and drink a BEER!!! Love IT!!!

#27 ·
When i spend 20k on anything i treat it with the utmost respect, cause 20k is alot of money to me and the last thing i wanna do is cause more damage by "beating" it!! :cussing Giving bad advice to newbs just ain't cool in my book!!......ok rant over!!

Read the manual and go by what it says, after the 1,000 mile break in do what u want

#28 ·
When i spend 20k on anything i treat it with the utmost respect, cause 20k is alot of money to me and the last thing i wanna do is cause more damage by "beating" it!! :cussing Giving bad advice to newbs just ain't cool in my book!!......ok rant over!!

Read the manual and go by what it says, after the 1,000 mile break in do what u want
Yup! +1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.