Harley Davidson Forums banner

Brake switch recall!

87K views 114 replies 58 participants last post by  HDSickness 
#1 ·
October 20, 2011

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect affecting motor vehicle safety exists on all 2009MY through 2011MY Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles, and certain 2012MY Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles, built June 6, 2008 through September 16, 2011. On these vehicles, the rear brake light switch, P/N 72016-06, when installed on 2009 or later Touring family motorcycles, may be exposed to temperatures which degrade its performance under certain riding conditions. This condition may affect brake lamp function and/or cause a brake fluid leak through the rear brake switch affecting rear brake performance. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash.

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0145) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles. The remedy is to have the Dealers determine whether the motorcycle is covered by this recall and, if covered, they will replace the rear brake light switch using the recall kit, at no charge to the customer. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within five days. Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin wave shipments on or before the week of October 24, 2011. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In accordance with Federal regulations administered by NHTSA and other appropriate market specific government agencies, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. will provide notice to all owners of record of affected products with direction to bring the vehicle in for the recall service.

M1310.PDF - Box

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if they will retroactively give credit on this. I had that brake switch fail just this summer. It wasn't a fluid leak but the rear brake light stopped working and I couldn't disengage cruise with the rear brake. Fix was to replace switch.

#5 ·
I did just that earlier on today.:thumbsup

Found out that my 2010 is on the re-call list.
I e-mailed my dealer and they will have the parts waiting for when I get home.
Good on them.:)

#10 ·
Just went down to the local stealership and verified this....they hadn't gotten the notice, but it came on thier computer while I ws there. My scoot is on the list, and I reserved a part when they finally come in.

#14 ·
Checkedout the sight above and found that my bike is in the recall.Thanks to everyone for this news.:thumbsup
Ditto. My dealer will be getting the part kit the week of Oct. 24 and will let me know.

#15 ·
My 09 Softail Custom switch failed after 2 years. Brake lights stayed on all the time. Harley replaced under warranty. Friends 09 Rocker has same issue.

#17 ·

You can get this part at any auto parts house, cheaper and less trouble

than you can leave your bike at the dealer for the warranty work

ACCEL automotive part #181101 $12.06 from Amazon w/ 2 day free shipping.

Accel part number: 181101 (Made in America)

Summit Racing pt# ALM-181101

NAPA # SL147SB

Store Locator | NAPA Online

Neihoff # WA627C

Borg-Warner # S551

Excelsior-Henderson # 3199-0058

#19 · (Edited)
Just saying, it's a common as dirt generic auto part. Stock ones HD uses

fail frequently, if you ever needed one, on the road or something,

there must be a dozen variations that meet the only specs that matter,

a normally open hydraulic switch, 2 spade lugs, male connection of the same size & thread

#62 ·
If you haven't tried it again yet... I had the same problem. It cleared up the next morning (I was copying/pasting from an online document so user error is unlikely). I think HD was having an issue on their site.

#25 ·
Word of slight caution. When I left the dealer my rear brake felt different, softer. After pumping the rear brake it seemed to feel better but it's not the same feel. Also, the rear brake ABS does not seem to engage under regular braking as it did before the switch was replaced. But the ABS does engage during hard braking.

Just something to think about and look for.

#30 ·
If you have soft brakes after the brake switch changeout, then they have introduced air into the brake line when they removed and replaced the switch. This is very easy to do and unless they follow the correct protocol there is going to be alot of people with soft, mushy brakes out there. That ought to be interesting.

#26 ·
The recall applies to 2009 and later Touring Model Bikes. The earlier year models are not eligible for the new brake switch.

Attn: All of you that are having the switch replaced before Oct. 25, 2011!!

You should check the switch to make sure it is one of the new replacement switches.

Rear Stop Light Switch Identification: Sharp Edges Are Gone On New Switch Recall pdf file
(Picture on Recall Notice shows the switch looks the same, at a glance.) It is contained in Kit Number 91500011
Harley has stated that they would not be sending the new/replacement switch until after October 24, 2011.

Ordering Information: U.S. Market
An initial wave shipment of kit 91500011 will begin the week
of October 24, 2011. All kits will be shipped no charge, transportation
paid via UPS1.

I bet that any switch a dealer replaced before Harley ships the replacement switches are just with the old switch (72023-51D).
The new switch is Identified as 72016-06A and listed as a Non-Sold part number.

#27 ·
Thanks for that info!! I can't imagine the dealership replacing a defective part with another defective part.

I don't know if you can tell or not which switch this is, but it's the "new" switch the dealer installed. Guess I'll have to go back and verify the part numbers.......:bluduh:bluduh

After looking at the part on the recall notice, the new switch appears to me to be the correct replacement.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.