Harley Davidson Forums banner

Brake switch recall!

87K views 114 replies 58 participants last post by  HDSickness 
#1 ·
October 20, 2011

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect affecting motor vehicle safety exists on all 2009MY through 2011MY Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles, and certain 2012MY Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles, built June 6, 2008 through September 16, 2011. On these vehicles, the rear brake light switch, P/N 72016-06, when installed on 2009 or later Touring family motorcycles, may be exposed to temperatures which degrade its performance under certain riding conditions. This condition may affect brake lamp function and/or cause a brake fluid leak through the rear brake switch affecting rear brake performance. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash.

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0145) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles. The remedy is to have the Dealers determine whether the motorcycle is covered by this recall and, if covered, they will replace the rear brake light switch using the recall kit, at no charge to the customer. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within five days. Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin wave shipments on or before the week of October 24, 2011. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In accordance with Federal regulations administered by NHTSA and other appropriate market specific government agencies, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. will provide notice to all owners of record of affected products with direction to bring the vehicle in for the recall service.

M1310.PDF - Box

See less See more
#45 ·
Checked status last night of mine on the Harley site, I am up for the recall. Actually taking mine in tomorrow for the rear shock replacement under warranty, so I will try to get both done at once.
Only if the dealer has the recall kit (91500011) in stock.
According to the Recall Bulletin Harley did not start shipping the Recall Kits until today.

If they replace the switch, be sure to check the switch to make sure they didn't use the older switch. They look real close to being the same.

Recall pdf file

#43 ·
#47 ·
Holy dung satchel, Batman! That's gonna leave a mark... In fact, I'd hate to be the one doin' Willie G's undy laundry...

#48 ·
I'm one of 308k...........

#51 ·
It must be a bit disappointing to know that there are 307,999 people just like you!:laugh:laugh

#49 ·
I'm a skeptic. I'd bet Harley will make millions from this.

I'll bet not one in 20 owners get out of the dealership

w/o spending $50 to $100 extra in service, or parts, or clothing.

A few will trade up, a few wives or girl-friends will buy a bike,

The person wives or girl-friends who give the owner the ride

to or from the service appointment will have to have a shirt.

#54 ·
I have replaced one on my 2007 Road King. I replaced one on my wife's 2007 Heritage after she lost her rear brakes 50 miles from home. I've also replaced 3 on my 2009 Ultraclassic. Twice I was alerted by my cruise control kicking off on it's own. On my way to watch this year's Superbowl with some friends, a white cloud of smoke passed me at a stoplight. It was coming from the brake fluid burning off as it hit my exhaust. I had to limp home with no rear brakes. (after the game of course)

#57 ·
Called my dealer today, I have a shock that is in that is to be replaced under warranty, thought I would call and try to set up to kill 2 birds, one stone.

"We are all out of the recall parts"

"Know when more might be coming?"

"Nope."

"Well I would like to try to get the shock done at the same time, anyway you could put my name on one and let me know so i can get the bike in?"

"Nope"

"Um, well how might I know when they are coming in?"

"Just keep checking back."

#59 ·
:) Never received a recall notice so I just stopped by the dealer to check if my Ultra was on the list and Big Swamp Harley changed it out in about 30 minutes. Most of that time was for bike cooling off. Wasn't there long enough to get interested in buying anything. :thumbsup Another rider rode in while I was waiting and he had a recall notice.

#61 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know while I was at Biketoberfest this month my fathers 2009 Ultra Classic Trike had a problem with the brake light switch. While we were parked in a grass field I noticed smoke coming from the trike. After frantically getting the trike off of the dry field I noticed the smoke was coming from the rear brake switch as my father applied the rear brake. Before I could disconnect the wires the switch melted and the brake fluid caught fire. Luckily I was able to put the fire out before any major damage. I realize the loss of lights and rear brakes is alarming but a fire is extremely dangerous. I am only writing this so everyone may know the other potential hazards.
Ride safe.

#64 ·
Had mine done on 10/25. They only had a few left, but got me in and out in an hour. After reading this post, I went and checked the part. It is the replacement part as pictured in the .pdf.
Here is the receipt number.
Recall: M-1294B
Recall 145 (part)
91500011 Kit, Code 0145, Brake Light

Kind of strange. I checked it in with exactly 4,200 miles. It checked back out with 4,202 miles. I called them and asked about bleeding the lines and test driving. Republic said that the dealership is required to bleed the lines and test a break system. It is part of the required work order for this recall.

Would they need to ride the bike for this long?

#74 ·
The new switch is Identified as 72016-06A and listed as a Non-Sold part number.
I bet that the part will become available to purchase when all of the 308K bikes have had the switch replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.