Harley Davidson Forums banner

Brake switch recall!

87K views 114 replies 58 participants last post by  HDSickness 
#1 ·
October 20, 2011

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect affecting motor vehicle safety exists on all 2009MY through 2011MY Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles, and certain 2012MY Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles, built June 6, 2008 through September 16, 2011. On these vehicles, the rear brake light switch, P/N 72016-06, when installed on 2009 or later Touring family motorcycles, may be exposed to temperatures which degrade its performance under certain riding conditions. This condition may affect brake lamp function and/or cause a brake fluid leak through the rear brake switch affecting rear brake performance. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash.

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0145) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles. The remedy is to have the Dealers determine whether the motorcycle is covered by this recall and, if covered, they will replace the rear brake light switch using the recall kit, at no charge to the customer. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within five days. Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin wave shipments on or before the week of October 24, 2011. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In accordance with Federal regulations administered by NHTSA and other appropriate market specific government agencies, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. will provide notice to all owners of record of affected products with direction to bring the vehicle in for the recall service.

M1310.PDF - Box

See less See more
#73 ·
New PN is kit 91500011, contains PN 72016-06A "Rear stop light switch"

Listed in wachuko's PDF from post #1, on page 2

#81 ·
New PN is kit 91500011, contains PN 72016-06A "Rear stop light switch"
Ok so i need an opinion Kainam and Ultrarider, here's a pic from the workorder i recieved after havin my dealer replace said switch.
Text Font Document

Now lookin at this it appears that they installed the old switch with number 72023-51D versus the new switch with the number 72016-06A. Am i correct or am i missin something?

#75 ·
Recall???

Anybody else heard of this. From the Fox news station near my house. Harley-Davidson is recalling more than 250,000 motorcycles over concerns that problems with the rear brake light switch and the brakes themselves could result in a crash, regulators said Monday.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the rear brake light on affected motorcycles may be exposed to excessive heat from the exhaust system.

"The excessive heat may cause the switch to not activate the brake lamp or activate the brake lamp when no brake is applied and/or cause a brake fluid leak at the brake light switch, affecting rear brake performance," the NHTSA said.

Either condition may increase the risk of a crash, the agency added.

The problem affects Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles from model years 2009 through 2012.

Milwaukee-based Harley said it would notify owners of vehicles affected by the recall, adding that dealers would install replacement parts free of charge.

#79 ·
Anybody else heard of this. From the Fox news station near my house. Harley-Davidson is recalling more than 250,000 motorcycles over concerns that problems with the rear brake light switch and the brakes themselves could result in a crash, regulators said Monday.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the rear brake light on affected motorcycles may be exposed to excessive heat from the exhaust system.

"The excessive heat may cause the switch to not activate the brake lamp or activate the brake lamp when no brake is applied and/or cause a brake fluid leak at the brake light switch, affecting rear brake performance," the NHTSA said.

Either condition may increase the risk of a crash, the agency added.

The problem affects Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles from model years 2009 through 2012.

Milwaukee-based Harley said it would notify owners of vehicles affected by the recall, adding that dealers would install replacement parts free of charge.
U really needed to ask? U posted this in a thread titled "Brake Switch Recall" :loco

#78 ·
Went to my dealer today and was told they can't keep the parts in stock and it will be at least a week before more show up. I aked to be put on a call list when they come in and was told I would just need to keep checking with them as there is not a list. First come first served...

#91 ·
Brake Switch

Hi Guys I called my dealer and inquired about the switch and the work is being done to many bikes as we speak. He told me there should be no difference in the pedal feel after the work is done. I have an appointment for Sat morning, i'm hopeful all will go well, I'll let you know.

#93 ·
My timing is bad... all switches gone by the time I get there or call for appointment... still pending on my bike. I just keep an eye on the old one to make sure everything is fine...

#96 ·
Can anyone explain exactly what the switch is doing or not doing for the recall to take place? I had to replace the rear brake light switch located down by my right footboard on my 07 RoadKing due to fact that the brake/running light wasnt working. Stealership told me the brake light switch was stuck in the "ON" position and burnt out the bulbs!

#97 ·
OP's post:
October 20, 2011

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect affecting motor vehicle safety exists on all 2009MY through 2011MY Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles, and certain 2012MY Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles, built June 6, 2008 through September 16, 2011. On these vehicles, the rear brake light switch, P/N 72016-06, when installed on 2009 or later Touring family motorcycles, may be exposed to temperatures which degrade its performance under certain riding conditions. This condition may affect brake lamp function and/or cause a brake fluid leak through the rear brake switch affecting rear brake performance. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash.

#100 ·
Replaced my brake switch on Saturday morning. Dealer did it while I waited. As I was pulling out of the parking lot I applied the rear brake before entering the road and the brake felt very soft. I had to depress the rear brake pedal much farther to get the brake to grab. Some of you have also noticed this. I spun right around and parked it, went inside and told service that I didn't like the way the rear brake felt. No problem, they brought it back in and adjusted it correctly.

#102 ·
I did mine the other day.
Got to play with the Digital Tech and bleed the brakes. Pretty cool!:nod

#105 ·
Better hurry. The weather is turning and the service departments are starting to get busy again. If you want this recall done before you do big miles, schedule it in the next week or so.

#109 ·
My 2009 rocker caught fire few days ago because of brake switch. I had to replace including clutch cables.Harley Davidson did not cover because I have an aftermarket vance and hines pipes and filter.
Can any one tell me if the pipes had anythig to do with this and if this problem could occur again

#110 ·
Not sure. But, did your dealer have anything to do with the sale or installation of your exhaust?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.