Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hard bag theft prevention

69K views 193 replies 90 participants last post by  Merc4stroke 
#1 ·
Been readin alot about this lately and don't recall seein this anywhere here. Apparently they use screwdriver and pop the pin behind the saddlebag and walk away with ur bags, whether the bags are locked or not!! Heres a quote from another forum:

Had five friends lose their hard bags to thieves last night at a restaurant. We heard that the boom in saddlebag speaker systems has created a demand for hard bags by theft rings. Most of the bags were locked. Anybody hear of similar crimes? How do they get the bags off so easily and quickly? Anyone found a foolproof way of making sure they can't be stolen. My Road King Classic was spared, apparently because the leather bags are not in as high a demand.
I've been puttin off getting this but i'll be gettin this kit by the end of the week for sure!!-------> Secures Harley Touring Bike Saddlebags from being Stolen or Flying Off while traveling down the road.

They also offer a seat lock!!
Seat Securing Products for Harley-Davidson

U can make this kit for cheaper at ur local hardware store but i'm just gettin the brukus kit, cheap insurance!! :thumbsup

#84 ·
Thanks for bringing to light the issue with bags being stolen and the easy fix. I plan to make it soon. I do however want to point out to those who may have used a carbon steel speed nut and a stainless bolt that this combination can cause galvanic corrosion and there by cause the two to seze together. If you separate them often enough, hopefully you won't have problems.

#93 ·
Went to Lowes picked up the hardware for only about $7.00 for my leather bags on the RKC just to be safe but it does take an extra 2 minutes to remove bags to clean bike or check suspension air pressure but definetely worth the extra time knowing my bags might not be stolen now.:thumbsup

#113 ·
After reading this.....

I ran out and purchased the screws and speed nut. I dont' really care that I need an allen wrench because I have them right where I keep my bike. Great Idea - I just had hard bags put on my bike after painting them so now I need to protect them. I even bought some for a friend who's getting his bike repainted.:)

#115 ·
Plenty of pics on pg. 2....

#118 ·
I did this mod last weekend. Picked up the hardware on page 2. Easy money. I wasn't really sold at first, because looking at the rivets and retainer it appears ample. So I got out the flat tip and popped off a retainer and rivets fell to the ground. With little effort I'd successfully halfway hijacked my own saddlebag. So I finished the job on the other 3 and then installed the bolts and speed nuts. I rest easier knowing that they aren't going to EASILY disappear now. :)

#120 ·
i just used chrome nuts & bolts on mine from the hardware store.
if this was the guys in hayward one of them is a friend of mine.
what a pain in the ass to have this happen to you.

#122 ·
#125 ·
Thanks I have had to check the connection everytime before I head out. Lost one bag $450, I knew right away something was wrong but I was where I couldn't turn around right away and when I went back I couldn't find the bag. I have caught the connection comming loose from vibration. Bought supplies tonight and I had to spend a total of $8 something. Big Deal if it keeps my bag from falling off during a ride much less someone deciding they need it more than i do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.