Harley Davidson Forums banner

Harley and Their Ridiculous Prices

10K views 86 replies 43 participants last post by  OLDDEADEYE 
#1 ·
So, I bought the 4 point quick detachment system for my FLHX and got to looking at passenger back rests(actually have a woman I want to be nice to) and the prices are outrageous. About $180 for just the sissy bar then extra for the pad! Granted, I know HD isn't cheap, but this is like adding a little salt into the wound. Ya spend $22k on a motorcycle and they want to stiff ya on a f***ing pad. :mad:

Checked out Kuryakyn and their stuff is just as much and doesn't appear to be compatible with Harley's quick detach system.

Anyone got ideas for a cheaper alternative? Guess I'll start scouring ebay for now.

#2 ·
you can usally find stuff like that here in the classified section and save a few bucks

#3 ·
I'm willing to bet they do it to make you think about buying a tourpak instead. Which, I may do. Still has me pissed off though.

#30 ·
Not wanting to pee in your cheerio's, have you priced a COMPLETE tour pack? I bought mine about 1 year ago, and same deal, piece by piece to make it complete. Final tally was north of 1200.00 and that did not include the previously purchased 4 point docking kit. Sucks , but it is what it is.

#5 ·
Just be patient and you will find some good deals. I recently sold a ton of parts on here, for pretty much .50 on the dollar.

#8 ·
I agree with you. The least they could do is give you a gift card or store credit like they do at our dealership. Alot of people figure "If I spend 22k on a bike I'm probably not gonna let a couple hundred more bother me." and that's ok too but HD MoCo is making so much money on their bikes anyway, what's it going to hurt for them to throw in a simple backrest on the deal for free?

-Rohan

#9 ·
I don't mind paying for the backrest, I'm more pissed that it's $200 for a sissy bar without a pad when their website shows it WITH a pad and has no disclaimer about a pad being separate. Had to ask my local dealer if it came with the pad even though I kinda knew it anyway.

#11 ·
I agree, the entire backrest set up for any Harley is silly expensive. Especially when most of the other parts are reasonably priced, the sissy bars and luggage really stand out as over priced.

It's Harley's little cash cow and a way to make those of us that don't have a bagger look more seriously at them.

My FXDF

$300+ for a backrest

$100 for a fender rack

$700+ for lockable bags

$300+ for a windshield

Damn, a touring model is looking cheaper and cheaper.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

#18 ·
This truly made me laugh. Hahahaha

#13 ·
I was a wuss and ponied up for both rider and passenger backrests, luggage rack, etc. The HD stuff may be expensive, but it fits great, works well, hopefully will last quite a while. Plus, I purchased a used bike so I could afford all the schtuff I knew I would want. But, hey, ya spend 22k on bike whats another 1 or 2??

#20 ·
Detachable Passenger Sissy Bar Upright - Short, Chrome

The ideal match for Low-Profile® Custom and Badlander® seats, this backrest is 2" shorter than the standard height upright. The one-piece upright accepts Short Backrest Pads (sold separately), and features easy on-and-off detachable convenience. Requires separate purchase of Docking Hardware.

52610-09

View 1

Fits '09-later Touring models (except FLHTCUSE4/5/6/7/8, FLTRUSE and Trike) equipped with required Docking Kits. FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK and FLTRU require separate purchase of Detachable Tour-Pak® Rack Kit P/N 53246-09A.

MSRP US $179.95

Download Instruction Sheet

Detachable Passenger Sissy Bar Upright - Short, Chrome | Harley-Davidson USA

I cut and pasted the above from the Harley Web site. I bolded the "sold separately".
I found a back rest from a member here for $50. Keep looking, you will find something that will not feel like you a re being raped.

#27 ·
Detachable Passenger Sissy Bar Upright - Short, Chrome

The ideal match for Low-Profile® Custom and Badlander® seats, this backrest is 2" shorter than the standard height upright. The one-piece upright accepts Short Backrest Pads (sold separately), and features easy on-and-off detachable convenience. Requires separate purchase of Docking Hardware.

52610-09
I cut and pasted the above from the Harley Web site. I bolded the "sold separately".
I found a back rest from a member here for $50. Keep looking, you will find something that will not feel like you a re being raped.
Not calling you a liar, but what I just looked at does not mention it beig separate. Says it accepts a wide range of pads but no mention of one not coming with. Shows a pad with it.

Attachments

#22 ·
Craigslist and ebay are your friends.
Picked up new 4 point dock on ebay for $105
Classic tour pack, mount, and extra docking kit CL for $500.

Anyone need a docking kit ?
Used but OK; $90.

Followed the post for the Rinehart Extereme true duals here at $400.

Ebay has chrome switch covers for $30; over $100 at the dealer.

Look around.
Its fun.

#23 ·
Andy, if ya go the ebay route... which I do when I can.. make sure you have the specific part number and have the seller confirm that is the part number they are selling. I got a backrest that wouldn't fit, when I confirmed the exact part number, he had to refund my money and not ship it... saved a lot of hassle.

#25 ·
I spent quite a bit of time looking at Craigslist, Ebay and many Motorcycle Accessory websites to find what i needed for my bike. I save a good bit of cash by doing so. I pick and choose what I will buy from the local dealership depending on how hard up they are for some work. It's fun to look at all the stuff anyway.

#29 ·
Crazy. Oh well. That's the one I've been looking at.

I'll figure something out.

#34 ·
Wow! You spent tens of thousands on a nice bike for yourself and are complaining about spending a couple hundred on your girl you want to keep happy. Crazy. Just buy the matching backrest, like I did, and she will love you for how comfortable it is. Don't comprise when it come to your girl. Save the pennies on yourself. Splurge on her.

#38 ·
Pretty sure I said it elsewhere in this thread. But, if not, I'm more pissed about the item I posted a picture of not coming with the pad when their website fails to mention it. My frugality is what got me this damn bike. I'll bitch about whatever I want. A dollar is a dollar until Obama ruins it.

Question for you. If I had a $1000 or so rat bike, would you still be saying "wow" to this thread if I had posted a similar question? The cost of the bike doesn't matter. This is all hypothetical in case ya haven't picked up on it.

To me, showing a sissy bar with a pad but selling it without it and NOT mentioning this is like buying a tire with no tread(minus slicks and racing tires). See where I'm coming from here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.