1970 xlch tank emblems/paint schemes - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Classics General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Mechanic

1970 xlch tank emblems/paint schemes

I was wondering if anyone has pics or links to any factory original '70 XLCH tank emblems and paint. I have a '70 that I'm getting ready to restore and would like to have the correct paint etc.
Thanks alot!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

1970 color codes: Harley Davidson Colors for 1970

If I remember, 1970 had the large, "Sportster" graphic on the tank, or the one with the red, white and blue stripes and AMF.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Mechanic

Thanks Dave, great link on factory colors! I thought maybe it came with the large "Sportster", but wasn't sure about the AMF color scheme. I thought HD started using the AMF in '71?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
2OLD4U

Garage
Good call not to put that big white pad of a seat on the pink bike.

Hęlek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Thanks Dave, great link on factory colors! I thought maybe it came with the large "Sportster", but wasn't sure about the AMF color scheme. I thought HD started using the AMF in '71?
You may be correct.

Found this:

In the v-twin catolg, The red script sportster decal is part no. 48-0465. That is just the script sportster no HD. (approx size 13 X 3)

There is an orange script sportster with harley davidson under it...part no. 48-0463 (approx size 10 X 2).
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

That bike in the 1st pic has got to be at least a late 76 if i remember right ? it has a left side shift ( see the rt side brake pedal ) i might be wrong but, thought Harley switched shift side to left in late 76 ? i could be wrong but close
Tennjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennjack View Post
That bike in the 1st pic has got to be at least a late 76 if i remember right ? it has a left side shift ( see the rt side brake pedal ) i might be wrong but, thought Harley switched shift side to left in late 76 ? i could be wrong but close
switched for the 1975 production year
the cases themselves didn't switch till 1977 production year
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennjack View Post
75 or newer. The cable operated rear brake is another clue, from the rod operated ones.

The pink bike is pre-1970 with a distributor. Just posted them to show the tank emblems.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

AMF

Adios Mutha Facker......
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys my history is a little fogged from the 70`s i had a left side shift 76 xlch drum brakes front and back . still have the 77 xlh cable rear brake line drum rear disc front . the 73 sprint paint was kinda familar . theres a guy here that still has his sprint in new condition . his Dad owned the Harley shop back here way back in at least the 50`s and maybe earlier than that ? wish id kept that 350 sprint .
Tennjack is offline   Reply With Quote