83 fxr prototype value - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Classics General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

83 fxr prototype value

i'm still trying to find some info on the value of my 83 fxr evo. not having much luck. it was built in york plant, 1 of 8 built, only a few left that i know of. they were hand built, not production.can anyone suggest how i find out?
jakmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

put it up for sale on eBay. advertise the listing everywhere you can.

who ever is the highest bidder determines the value
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
evohogfarts

bid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerbox1 View Post
put it up for sale on eBay. advertise the listing everywhere you can.

who ever is the highest bidder determines the value
I'll start the bid $300

LiveToRideHarleyDavidsonEvo

ltrhdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

I'd be interested in why you believe it's a "prototype" but have no idea of the value.

If it's a prototype, there's likley no VIN, because it was never built to be registered and be put on the street. If it has a VIN, and it's a prototype, it won't be a normal VIN.

If there are 8, then it's likely not a prototype. Prototypes by Harley were rarely if at all, sold to the public, rather retained in the museum. As well, First Year productions were known to be limited, so 8 of a specific color/options isn't rare. Back in 1977, HD also made the FLHS, which was a stripped FLH bagger, which was the pre-bike to the Fatboy.

The FXR was first released in 1982, so in order to be a prototype, it would be titled earlier. Bikes were already being built and sold in late 1981 as 1982's. It is also a shovelhead, as the FXR never saw an Evo engine until 1984.

Jerry Branch of Branch Performance built an FXR bike for racing back in 1984, but it wasn't a "prototype". It was raced and campaigned to promote the business and used for R&D and horsepower mods with the newly released Evo engine. Put out about 102 hps.

The only model in the FXR line that's rare, was the 1984 "Disc Glide" (FXRSDG) which offered the first chrome package, special paint and other options not found on other bikes for that time.

Hey....I could be wrong about all of this........
Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

There was a letter from a reader in Iron Works magazine a few years back from a guy who worked for H-D and had bought one of the early Evo FXR's. They did build several that were registered and used on public roads for testing purposes. One of the difference he listed were the rocker boxes; I think he said the originals were two piece. In any case, employees got first shot at buying these early models, so I assume that may be what jakmetz has got.
As for value, I'd probably hold on to it. I think it will be a while before Evo values really go up, but I think they will. And if they do, the early testing bikes would probably bring a premium.
bikerstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

And I own one of Evis's bikes........

That stuff is folk lure.

"I habe this harley...the VIN isn't like any other...."
Old 07-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

There was an ad in the local paper.

"1957 Schovel - $100,000"

pb68slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

is it 100% original and stock ? paint ? carb, pipes ? if it's stock and un-molested then its worth about ??????

Call for info to the guys at the museum in Milwaukee Call Jay Leno !

better yet...pull the bike near the phone and rev the motor.....
Panhead1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resist Tyranny

Garage
I'll tell you what they told me on another forum when I asked what that brand of bike was worth.

"It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it"

later, dozer
Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb68slab View Post
There was an ad in the local paper.

"1957 Schovel - $100,000"

I was talking to a dude one night at the bar, he was telling me he had a 1971 Softtail and a 2000-something Shovelhead. I laughed my butt off, shook my head and walked away.
DaveEllis is offline   Reply With Quote