66 project. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Classics General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

66 project.

So i picked up this project.....I love it already! I plan on keeping it forever so custom paint will be done. My question to the panel is do i get rid of the original gas tank with original paint still in tact and in good shape or keep it and paint it?
I plan on off the frame restoration so all chrome will be re-dipped etc....just wondering on the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1635.jpg (1.46 MB, 139 views)
bret445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
kickstand grinder

its yours man- do like you want to do.

It doesn't look bad. Looks like you could clean the hell out of it- elbow, fingers, ahhhhhhh- and it would look great.
Whiskey Priests M/C
- part time
Road Captain of "Numb asses" M/C
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

That very bike (66-68) was selling for $17,500 at the show this last wekend in Oley, PA.

Engine (shovel top end, genny pan case lower) was only made 1966-1969. 1966 was the second year for electric start, and first year for shovelheads.

Icon bike.

A shame to make it anything but original, but it's your ride. Make it your own.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
If it was me I would keep it as original as I could. Maybe refinish the chrome, touch up the paint, replace wind shield, overhaul the engine (don't bore it out and add anything raddical) and clean the h3ll out of everything else. If it was completely trashed then ya I would completely customize it.

But it's your ride and you are the only one that has to be happy with it at the end of the day and our oppinions are like farts in the wind.

What ever you decide to do definately keep us posted with the progress and lots of pics on a new thread.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Original paint is almost always more desired even with blemishes. Just adds to the patina. Sweet ride. If it were mine is clean it, do wat needs to be safe and reliable and then ride it .
smokeydog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Oh my ... that ain't no project bike !!! That's a restoration ! Clean the snot out of it , get it running sweet and then let it alone ... IMO !
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

all of the above. what ever you decide to do, think it thru real good. don't wanna be kickin yourself in the a$$ for the rest of your years oh yea, turn that petcock off
butch61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

I want to thank everyone for the replies....I'm going to think about it long and hard...I just picked this up last weekend...Found it sitting in a garage...She been there for 37 years....My next step is too get the tank off replace some lines check seals, compression etc.....Then hook it up to a battery.. If it has good comp. and spark i will piss myself...Now I gotta go play with it....ty ty ty
bret445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

The '66 has a one year only gas tank with the petcock in the right half , just ahead of the carb.

Does anyone else know why this was a bad idea?
pb68slab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret445 View Post
I want to thank everyone for the replies....I'm going to think about it long and hard...I just picked this up last weekend...Found it sitting in a garage...She been there for 37 years....My next step is too get the tank off replace some lines check seals, compression etc.....Then hook it up to a battery.. If it has good comp. and spark i will piss myself...Now I gotta go play with it....ty ty ty
Giddy for you, man!

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.