Starter problems - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Classics General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Starter problems

Hey guys on my 81 shovelhead i have an elec. starter and kick start when i try to use the elec. starter the starter wines but dose not turn the motor what do i need to replace the starter cylinoid or is there something else Thanks for any help
whavenner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

also check the starter solinoid , the contact ring (brass washer) for burns. and the contact bolts usually made of brass. you can clean them up on a wire brush.
you need to replace the starter drive gear unit (gear with teeth that engages to the starter ring.)
because it has probable rounded the edges off somewhat.
go to ronnies microfiche .com type in tour bike & look uo the startes & solinoid. he doesn't give p/n's but gives you a good look at what part your working on.
eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

If the starter motor is spinning, but the engine is not, check the starter drive gear unit.

Item no. 9 in the pic.

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 1981 Harley Davidson Street Bike FLTC 1340 TOUR GLIDE CLASIC (AF) Parts List
Dan89flstc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Bendix drive gear.
pb68slab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harley and Barley

no , he said it whines. the drive prob engages but the motor just TRRRRRYYYYY to turn over and whines. The motor brushes, or stator bars burnt. thats my guess.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lump_digity View Post
no , he said it whines. the drive prob engages but the motor just TRRRRRYYYYY to turn over and whines. The motor brushes, or stator bars burnt. thats my guess.

Right, he said it whines...

If the starter motor is whining, then it its spinning.

If it is spinning, but not turning the engine over, the starter drive unit is bad.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yea the starter is turning its just not coming out and catching the fly wheel

Sent from my Motorcycle iPod touch app
Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harley and Barley

Thats the bitch of the internet. Does it whine like i am thimking, or does it whirrrrr and free spin like you say. Iys hard to tell on the web.

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whavenner View Post
Yea the starter is turning its just not coming out and catching the fly wheel

The starter engages the ring gear on the clutch, don`t confuse it with the flywheel...

Have you actually seen the pinion gear not coming out?

The reason I ask, is that in order for the starter to be energized, the solenoid plunger must be extended.

When you push the start button, the start relay is energized, sending power to the coil inside the solenoid, which moves the plunger. At one end of the plunger is the electrical contact that completes the circuit to the starter motor, the other end is at the starter bendix mechanism.

So if the starter motor gets current and spins, it means the plunger has moved, which also means the pinion gear must be extended, unless there is a problem with the mechanical parts in the primary.

If the pinion gear extends, the starter spins, but the engine does not turn over, the starter drive unit is shot (the starter drive unit is part that the small gear is mounted onto).

Have you inspected the hardware inside the primary case to be sure everything is ok?

Caution, don`t put your hands on anything in the primary while the battery is connected. If you give the pinion gear a pull with your hands, the starter will energize.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes the starter sounds normal but it seems like its not connecting with anything I have not opened up the primary yet because I wasn't sure where to start everything seems to be fine but the part of the motor starting over no grinding or anything thanks for your guys help I know I am making it harder then it needs to be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.