what type is it ? - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Classics General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

it has never been titled before, but the new motor is a 1941 G...

i am a retired aviation machinist ...ya it will run when i am done ... . if i dont die of a heart attack first ...LOL

i have not changed the frame at all ..i just like the chopper the way it was built and designed ..it was a train wreck and i still had to have it ...lol

it has come a long ways already ...about $12,500 in parts so far .. and still have a good chroming bill to look forward to...

but there is nothing more rewarding then taking them from the rust pile to the show room ..

this my be my last bike ... i have built muscle cars for 25 years i lost count around 140 ... none were as fun as this chopper ..i can feel the bike in my soul.. just one of a kind ...hope i get the chance to ride it ....
blindbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

work twice as hard and get less done .. i will have to chrome out some of the parts latter. for now i have to do some fitting and sizeing ..made the head light mount today and rise the head light up 6 inches higher then it was . this makes the springer look longer and thiner . with the 17 inch front tire she is smooth lines and a nice look to the chopper ...the stars look great on her nice color shock between the eye candy green and the white stars... i know the head light is just a low beam but it is as close as i could get to the one that was on the chopper for over 40 years ....i hope to get some better pics tonight .. ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hd star on the bike 001.JPG (85.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg hd star on the bike 002.JPG (84.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg hd star on the bike 003.JPG (85.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

got some new batteries
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

had a lot of fun with the spring left tool i got off Ebay .. what a pain in the ass to get to work correctly on these old flathead motors ,, it did the job alright with a little hard work a long the way .. , i only had one real problem . the engine is to heavy for me to pick up when its all together , i guess i got to get my step son over today to get it on the bike .. its rebuilt and has great conpression ... may have to rest today .. did to much ... latter
Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

had to have some help putting the motor on the bike today .. got a lot more to do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hd rebuild engine on 003.JPG (81.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg hd rebuild engine on 002.JPG (84.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg hd rebuild engine on 006.JPG (85.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg hd rebuild engine on 007.JPG (82.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hd rebuild engine on 009.JPG (84.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg hd rebuild engine on 016.JPG (85.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

man good job keep going hope to see you riding down the road on it
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #27 (permalink)

so do i ...lol right now i am not sure i can kick it over ...

i wanted to keep the old school chopper look it had when it was built in 1967 . but restore it as much as i could to the vintage of the year it was made , i hope i got it close .. the parts are a little rare in some areas of the build .. the other thing ,is ride ready , today we look for simple operation ,hand clutch and foot gears ,, thats a little easyer said then done on this bike , the tank was the main problem .. i have the tank shift , a jockey shift and i can design a good rocker foot shift ..i think i will have to go with the modern foot shift and hand clutch, for safe ride..

ya it is looking better each time i work on it ...i see a lot of people buy new bikes and ride like they earn the road .. i lol and wonder if they ever built a bike from the bare metal frame up .. i don't think its a bad thing to buy a new bike ,, but you never get the feeling that comes from restoreing a bike from the frame up ..

a friend came and looked at this bike the other day .. the first thing he ask is whats it worth.. i don't think he will be a friend for long ..

i like the man i got this bike from . they call him mike the hippie .. he was there and live the live style ,when the bike broke he did not throw it away like the new stuff the modern world builds .. he kept it for 40 years under a old pile of sheet metal hopeing some day to have it restored ,, when he saw the other bikes i have done he knew that was the fate of this bike .. i will do what ever it takes to make the bike run and ride like it was made yesterday ....

people like mike are a dieing breed , i for one will miss him when his time comes . but he will get to see this bike restored and him and his wife are very happy to see it look the way it dose now ...

true perfection can be seen and felt ....
Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

That thing is so cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
AKrat is offline   Reply With Quote