73 Shovelhead Torque - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Classics General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question 73 Shovelhead Torque

New to Harley Davidson! I have a 73 Flh and need to do the top end, I bought a 9/16" torque adapter that is 2" center to center.

I was curious if anyone could tell me what impact on the torque for the headbolts would be?
up2nogood69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe this is what you're looking for:
http://www.millwrightmasters.com/images/torque1.gif
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

my suggestion is buy the service manuel for the bike, worth its weight in gold, if not dave will know
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

About 2-3 lbs more then the wrench is set at.

You can figure it out at home, by placing two bolts in a vice, and putting washers and nuts on them, and torquing one WITH the adapter, and one WITHOUT the adapter, until you get the same torque value when compared, then just add the appropriate amount when you torque the heads/jugs.

IE: If you torque them both to 40 ft/lbs, then you add the adapter, and keep turning the wrench back, until it clicks WITH the adapter on. It will take about 2-3 lbs LESS then WITH the adapter, to achieve the same torque spec, as the leverage is longer.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is very interesting...I am guessing this is necessitated by leaving the motor in the bike.

Was trying to understand the formula above and decided to search it out for the explanation...it can be seen at the link below. By the way: you guys with all the info are awesome.

Torque Wrench Offset
wood butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood butcher View Post
This is very interesting...I am guessing this is necessitated by leaving the motor in the bike.
Even on a bench, a shovelheads head bolts are tightened from the bottom UP. The jugs mount to the cases at the flange, and getting a large torque wrench in there isn't an option.

I knew there was an actual formula for it.... just didn't know where to get it. Thanks for posting it.

My last shovelhead, I rebuilt and tightened the bolts by practicing with a wrench, and checking my values against a torque wrench. The engine had 52K on it when I sold it (post rebuild) and never had an issue with my work. Luck, I guess...

It's an offset wrench that I still have today.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Your gonna have to use a wrench to get at some of the head bolts.
I dont torq em I crank the chit outta them in a criss cross pattern as tight as I can get it the run the motor and retorqe then ride it moderatly get it good and hot and retourqe it done deal,Done it this way since a builder showed it to me and been doin it my whole life to shovels pans and sportys.Use copper gaskets and indian head gasket sealer done.
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Talking Torque

Thank You All.... I am so glad that I joined this forum!!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!!
up2nogood69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired citizen

I know this won't sound very technical but ... If you torque shovel heads the head gaskets will blow out shortly . Clean the bolt and hole threads and crank them down in sequence till you think you're gonna break the wrench , then keep doing that for a week till you can't get them any tighter ! Use the good James gaskets too . Told ya it wouldn't be very technical !
SCHMIDTYS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Then heatcycle it and retighten.Copper gaskets with indian head sealer never fails.
Also a little oil or neverseize on the head bolt treads so they dont gaul.
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.