Billy Bike Build - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Custom, Chopper General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Billy Bike Build

Well I've all but finished turning the Night Train into my personal piece (pics and tips will be posted soon) and am starting to plan a new project. Now my favorite bike of all time is the "Billy Bike" from Easy Rider. Loved it since I was old enough to watch the movie (it was restricted to 18 when it first came out).

Now I live in Thailand so some of these things are not going to be so easy but I have been doing some research and would like some confirmation. Any advice is welcome.

The plan is to use a softail frame, S&S Panhead motor, 6 speed box with electric and kicker. Chain driven.

The first problem is finding a bike with the correct frame (see reason below) as registering a bike in Thailand is a nightmare. So easier to buy one and strip it, swapping motors is no problem.

Now here is what I have gleamed so PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. S&S don't make (large) motors that fit into post 1999 frames that have balanced engines. Pre 1999 had standard (rubber mounted) engines so that should fix that problem.

I am thinking a S&S 103" Panhead should go in ok.

I am not sure what box will couple up to it that will take a bakers 6 speed with kicker and enable me to keep the electric start.....HELP with that one please. Also what hassles are involved with using a chain drive.

The bike isn't going to be a true to life copy obviously but I do want the look to be close with a few modern additives to make it practical to ride.

The tank, I think is a Mustang, does anyone have any ideas on that?

Any input will be gratefully recieved.

Keep the shiny side up,
Tony
ThaiTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

You joined the forums back in August so you've been around and should know by now that your first post shoulda been an intro in the New to the Community thread before posting here and asking for free advice. It's customary and the polite thing to do .
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Humble apolgies, I actually thought I had posted here previously but that must have been somewhere else
I don't visit forums that often but I am currently at work on an oil rig in Kenya.

I promise a proper intro with some pics of my train and some details of the work carried out on it. The finishing touches should be on it when I get home. Hopefully it is something different and some people will enjoy it and the stories that go with it.

Tony
ThaiTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

No worries . Look'n forward to seeing the work you've done on your scoot. Stay safe out there.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

S&s deffinately makes post 99 motors. They aren't the chain balance style motors but are larger disp. And twincam style
MisfitJason is offline   Reply With Quote