Any shorter guys here ride (or have ridden) Wide Glides? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Any shorter guys here ride (or have ridden) Wide Glides?

I love the look of the Wide Glides, but, at 5'8", I'm a bit concerned that the WG's forward controls may be a bit of a stretch for me. (My pants inseam is about 30/31").

I guess 5'8" is not short, but I'm not tall, either. I have read a few posts where taller guys like the Wide Glide, because the forward controls give them lots of leg room, plus the forwards can be extended even more forward a bit with slight modification. But can forward controls also be adjusted rearward with slight modification?

I recently sat on a Wide Glide and it felt reasonably comfortable, especially the mini-ape handlebars, but I did not get to ride it, which would have been the true test of whether the WG's foot controls will 'work' for me.

The only Harley (or any other bike, for that matter) I've ridden that had forward controls was an '02 Sportster. It felt a bit strange at first, but I quickly got used to it and now prefer forwards to mid controls ... I'm just concerned whether the WG's controls may be a bit much of a stretch.

Thanks,

Ken
ken4ahog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I believe you can get a wide glide with mid-controls, and not forward controls. You can also put runniing boards on a wide glide, and have a host of foot positioning options.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

yOU'LL BE FINE W/ THE FOREWARD CONTROLS, There the way to go, mids aren't a comfortable position & most guys w/ them go w/ forewards or highways

Once you go Bagger, you don't come back
JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just passing thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken4ahog View Post
I love the look of the Wide Glides, but, at 5'8", I'm a bit concerned that the WG's forward controls may be a bit of a stretch for me. (My pants inseam is about 30/31").

I guess 5'8" is not short, but I'm not tall, either. I have read a few posts where taller guys like the Wide Glide, because the forward controls give them lots of leg room, plus the forwards can be extended even more forward a bit with slight modification. But can forward controls also be adjusted rearward with slight modification?

I recently sat on a Wide Glide and it felt reasonably comfortable, especially the mini-ape handlebars, but I did not get to ride it, which would have been the true test of whether the WG's foot controls will 'work' for me.

The only Harley (or any other bike, for that matter) I've ridden that had forward controls was an '02 Sportster. It felt a bit strange at first, but I quickly got used to it and now prefer forwards to mid controls ... I'm just concerned whether the WG's controls may be a bit much of a stretch.

Thanks,

Ken
Hey Ken, at your height you should be fine but for a custom fit you can reverse the extension kit and use it as a shortening kit if you want.

Pics
EZE RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

You should be OK. My buddy has forward controls on his and I'm 5'9" with a 29" inseam. Although I prefer my mid controls reaching the forwards is not a problem.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

I am 5'10" and found mid controls horribly cramping, so I installed forward controls on both bikes.

while I don't think that I do it because I can't reach my forward controls comfortably,

I have heel rest type controls because it give me a more relaxed reach, and

more flexibility as to foot position, I recommend "heel rest" type pegs for that reason,

whether you are short or tall. Actually, I was probably stretching to be comfy with

the forward controls before the heel rests.

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."
Nathang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

You should be all right I am 5'7 and I have forwards on my fat bob and they feel fine
1999 Road King (sold)
hamiltonj2w1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
OMR

I am the same height as you and I have ridden my kids 2010 WG.. I find the brake a bit of a reach. The air cleaner is in the way for me. The shifter is no problem at all. I have a street bob with mid controls and I can't wait to put forward controls on. Legs get way to cramped with the mids..

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
soccer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer View Post
I am the same height as you and I have ridden my kids 2010 WG.. I find the brake a bit of a reach. The air cleaner is in the way for me. The shifter is no problem at all. I have a street bob with mid controls and I can't wait to put forward controls on. Legs get way to cramped with the mids..
Yeah the air cleaner used to get in the way of my leg till I put on a ventilator 10min after I bought it
1999 Road King (sold)
hamiltonj2w1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
OMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1 View Post
Yeah the air cleaner used to get in the way of my leg till I put on a ventilator 10min after I bought it
At the risk of showing how stupid I am, Ventilator?

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
soccer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.