Electrical ground on a Dyna - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Electrical ground on a Dyna

I have a 2010 Dyna Super Glide Custom, along with the owner's manual and the service manual. This is my second Harley (the first was a 1949 flathead bought in 1961), although I've had other motorcycles for the past 40 years. I'm in the process of installing a Harley tach, and I cannot find the location of the primary electrical/frame ground point in any of my documents. Rather than start pulling off panels on a bike with less than 200 miles on it, can anyone out there give me a clue? Any hints as to the battery access (the seat and console have been removed) would be really appreciated. The manual is written for previous Harley owners. and I realize I'm asking real rookie questions.

1960 TR3A
1970 BSA 441 Victor Special
1972 Norton Commando 750 Combat
1975 Norton Commando 850 Mk3
2010 Harley Davidson FXDC Super Glide Custom
rick in seattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

Just a wild guess i'm betting it rides the backbone trunk all the way back to the Tranny/Engine

Just lookin at a pic I'm guessin the battery is under that panel on the leftside just below your seat (if it aint under the seat.)_

04 1200 C
07 Ultra classic
(opening here for a used crossbones)
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The battery is located behind the right side cover . Remove one screw under the bottom center of that cover then lift up and pull out .
The primary ground connection would be at the rear top of the trans case .
It wouldn't be ness. to ground the tach at the primary ground , any black wire or blk/gn wire connection would serve the purpose .
Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, guys,

The Tach is installed and working. I wired it according to the HD spec; a little extra work, but it's a brand new bike. Thanks for leading me through the really basic stuff.

1960 TR3A
Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Where did you mount that tach at, on the bars???.... ide love to see a pic of that
hrdtoget1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Front View

Side View

All parts came from the Harley catalog and are specific to Dyna.

1960 TR3A
Old 01-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

nice, thankyou for the pics bro
hrdtoget1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.