Fat Bob Question - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fat Bob Question

I'm just wondering can you change the rake on a Fat Bob? Has anyone done this?
jdlangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

you can change the rake on any bike but most involves cutting the frame behind the steering head . They make a raked tree but havent used one myself so i cant tell you how it will work .
Herd #00117
Tennjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
"Nervous Tick"

have read several things about raked tree's being a "huge" negative on the handling of the bike..

almost all of the articles i've read, suggest a re-angle of the frame neck, as opposed to switching out the tree's..

perhaps someone with a little more knowledge can chime in, and explain the pro's, and con's.......g
Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

For minor changes… trees are ok.

Example;
Changing an ultra to lean-able trike (this is hydraulics added to the rear wheel suspension and the frame is hydraulically leaned into a turn). We changed the rake slightly negative to help steer the thing easier, due to the added weight.

But if you want to extend the front end… math needs to be done to develop the proper rake for a given extension of the front wheel.

There is a set relationship between the angle of the neck and the position of the front tire from the neck. Basically the further you push the front wheel out the greater the angle.

This relationship is called “trail”.

You need to know how much extension you want to go (like 3 over, 6 over, 12 over or any dimension really)
And I can tell you the angle… if I know the off set in the trees you are going to use.
Note:
The off set in the trees is the dimension from the neck to the tubes… in the side view.
cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

this one is 47 degrees
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010047.JPG (828.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1010053.JPG (804.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

what about ofset bearing cups are they better than trees??
pitstoppro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

The cups should be used with the trees... it's better than just trees... again depending how far you want to push the front tire.

I can do the math and check what you want to do. The math will give you a steady low speed, and a stead high speed...without any crazy wobble.
It will also give you a "no neck dip" or "no neck rise" while you are just standing still turning the wheel back and forth. (Do you understand what I mean here?) This gives you good corning (leaning) characteristics.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

You should send a PM to is JBone. He had a customized Fat Bob that I believe he changed the triple trees to gain some rake on the front end. He has done the research and has riden the Fat bob with a raked front end. Good contact for this info.
Acemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brad

My buddy from Harley at the Juneau Ave plant sent me the following concerning the issue of changing my SG narrow to a FB front end.
Quote:
I found out that HD can't advise on any modifications not listed in service or P & A due to liability. Your
other option is to cross reference parts books or talk to dealers who do modifications like what you are looking for.
Impact Blue 04 FXDI Screaming Eagle Stage 1 w/exhaust, Memphis Fats windshield, Kuryakyn flame gripes, sissy bar, saddle bags, highway bar kit, chrome/black battery cover. Live to ride and upgrade my mistris when I'm not riding the big red fire truck!

Fairbanks H.O.G.

Alaska State H.O.G. Rally!

Red Knights International Motorcycle Club
Alaska Chapter 1

Harley-Davidson Farthest North‎ Outpost‎

Leonhardt MFG.

North Star Fire
Frozenhosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Your lookin' for trouble. As cool as rakin' out your front end would look, you will take away the handling. leave it be and just ride.