No Oil Pressure - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

No Oil Pressure

I have an 04 Superglide, I just changed the cams to andrews 50G. Used the S&S gear drive set up, & now I have no oil pressure, anyone got any ideas what I did wrong?
saxsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Did you replace the O-ring between the case and cam plate? If you forget it or it moves on install, you'll lose PSI.

Did you take the spark plugs out (short them too) and turn it over to see if you got pressure? (about 15 seconds) Let the starter cool, and do this about 3-4 times, allowing the starter to cool after each time.

Did you pack the pump with lube prior to reassembly?

You Do have oil in the bike too, right? (Silly, but .....)

There's also a "wave" washer behind the oil pump, that if it falls out and you miss it, you'll lose oil pressure upon restart.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, the bike definitely has oil, did turn it over plenty to prime, didn't pack the pump with lube, but I didn't replace the pump, I think the wave washer fell out, & I put it back (looked right) if that's the one that is kinda extended on two sides. The O-ring is something that I don't remember fooling with or checking. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing it. So I'll start there.... Thanx for the help
Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

took it apart all looks good, now I am wondering if there is a certain way the lifters go back in, oil hole to the inside, or outside?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxsnowman View Post
took it apart all looks good, now I am wondering if there is a certain way the lifters go back in, oil hole to the inside, or outside?
The hole on the tappet should face inward, towards the cylinder. I've heard it doesn;t matter, but.....I would still install them with the holes all facing in, just for piece of mind and to make sure it's done correctly.

It sounds as if you're air locked and can't reprime the pump.

have you tried the priming method I suggested, reguarding turning the egine over with te plugs out and grounded, (or you'll burn out a coil) for 15 seconds at a time, with 15 minute cooling periods in between, until psi goes up?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Did you use a different cam support plate with the gear drive setup ?
Another thing that can cause no oil pressure is if the cam support plate relief valve is stuck . That valve is in the top edge of the plate and is held in place with a split pin .
Also the pump should be aligned in the cam support plate during installation when torqueing the plate down . H-D has tapered alignment pins for this purpose .
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

didn't use any different cam plate, or anything. I did try the priming process again, with the cover off & no push rods. definitely no oil pumping to the lifters. Stupid question, but could I have assembled the pump wrong. Ithought the thrust washer fell out from the outside, & I just put it back in, but other pumps I've seen seem to be assembled (from engine side) gears, thrust washer, wave washer, thrust washer, gears. I am pretty sure mine was... gears, thrust washer, wave washer, gears, thrust washer? Just a thought
Thanx - Bob
Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Wave washer between the thrust washers . Gears go in then thrust then wave then thrust then gears .