Wide glide vs softail - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

I did a search for today's posts and read this. Gave my opinion and it don't matter. This post from the op is old old old.
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

Hahahahahaha Just saw OP posted this in 2011!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!! I wasted my life and never getting it back!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
GlideWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #33 (permalink)

I looked at both myself. After riding both it turns out that on the Softail the foot peg to the top of the seat was at just enough of an angle to make the Softail uncomfortable for me so I got the Wide Glide. I but on a set of HD shocks an that dropped the bike an inch or so and it sits almost exactly the same as the Softail but the angle of the seat to the pegs is the same as it was before I lowered it. I hope that the angle I'm talking about makes sense to you.

Whoop's I just noticed the date on the original post, He probably has already made up his mind.

Last edited by uncledaddy; 11-03-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: FDate on post
uncledaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Living the dream

Garage
But please don't stop giving your opinions. I like reading about what others think about the bikes, as I'm looking to get my 1st Harley in a year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #35 (permalink)

Ok this is my take. If you are considering a Wide Glide or Softtail Standard, you are more of a Chopper guy. That being said old school Choppers were Hardtails...if your a traditionalist in looks, the softtail is it. The softtail captures the iconic chopper hardtail frame look while giving the best ride. I have a 2000 softail standard and as far as motor performance goes nothing holds back my softie;-). Softtail standard has the ass of a real chopper, the dyna has the ass of a sportster sporting a bobbed tail rear fender.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

[/QUOTE]I have a 2000 softail standard and as far as motor performance goes nothing holds back my softie;-). Softtail standard has the ass of a real chopper, the dyna has the ass of a sportster sporting a bobbed tail rear fender.[/QUOTE]

Assuming both bikes are 2000 models. They both have the same engine, 1450. The wide Glide has more torque, has a better power to weight ratio and weighs about 30 lbs lighter.

Other than the Wide Glide having the characteristics previously stated, the other major difference would be the swing arm. If you want the eye sore of the A frame swing arm on the standard staring at you every time you look at it then go for the standard. If you would rather have the sleek look of the wide glide swing arm, not to mention better engine specs then by all means go with wide glide.

The bob tail fender is what sets the wide glide apart, which the standard did also.

As far as the wide glide looking like a sporty with a bob tail fender I really don't understand how you would have that opinion unless you have spent too much time following one and you are just saying that because you can't keep up with it. I am betting it would be a distant fading view.

I am not bashing the standard but, the wide glide looking like a sportster comment kinda grated on me. I mean you are sporting a 130 on the back and all. Which is BTW, is the same size as the sportster rear tire.
faadpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Wide glide vs softail

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1363218041.126649.jpg

Thats not a sporty rear its a WG and its nice& round! Not sure that comment has any truth but keep dreamin lil man

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlideWide View Post
Attachment 48201

Thats not a sporty rear its a WG and its nice& round! Not sure that comment has any truth but keep dreamin lil man

Is this in reference to cajun's comment? Just wondering.

It is obviously not a Sporty. I have a 2003 Sporty as well as a 2006 Wide Glide and I see no similarity. They sit side by side in my garage and when walking up to them from the rear I have yet to sit on the Sporty when meaning to sit on the Wide Glide.
faadpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #39 (permalink)

Wide glide vs softail

Quote:
Originally Posted by faadpe View Post
Is this in reference to cajun's comment? Just wondering.

It is obviously not a Sporty. I have a 2003 Sporty as well as a 2006 Wide Glide and I see no similarity. They sit side by side in my garage and when walking up to them from the rear I have yet to sit on the Sporty when meaning to sit on the Wide Glide.
Well kinda, just realized how old this thread is! Was on 5% battery juice so made a quicky post! Haha but in response to ur comment, thats why I posted that. Its like nite and day when side by side, I had a sporty. Got it when I was 16 and rode it for an amazing 60k or so miles then sold it for a grand while in college and needed money. Would love to find it again, it has no value only more value for me! Never regret selling it though, got out of college last may and got my WG in June after getting hired on with a great company! Take care amigo, ride safe this year!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #40 (permalink)

dyna is a sportster on steroids lol, both have exposed rear shocks
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.